What are your top tips for making your guests happy?

All Airbnb hosts endavour top reviews from their guests. But how to get them?

I’ve rented out since more then 3 years and here are my top tips for getting solely 5 star reviews:

1. Provide flowers, champagne and fruits. Who doesn’t love a bowl of fruit, a chocolate on the pillow or some flowers or a refreshment on the table when they arrive to their room? It doesn’t take much time to provide this, and it will make your airbnb guests very happy - guaranteed :slight_smile:

2. Pick your guests up at the nearest station. When I arrive to a new place, I’m usually tired and confused and the last thing I’d like to do is walking around trying to find a new address. From my experience as a host, I’ve found that no matter how detailed directions I give to people, some people will always fail to read them properly and get lost, and lost guests are more likely to be annoyed. Picking your guests up at the nearest station / bus / tram stop will save your guests a lot of time and frustration.

3. Make sure the room is dust free (really dust free!). No matter how clean the room or apartment looks on the surface, some people WILL check unlikely places like behind closets, under the bed, on top of doors etc. If you’d like top notch feedback on cleanliness, all these places must be clean - all the time!. It takes some extra effort, but you’ll be rewared by a higher score.

These and some more tips I’ve gathered on my website: http://similar-web-sites-to-airbnb-roomorama-wimdu.fastweb.no/airbnb-host-tips-how-to-get-only-5-star-reviews_241.html

Feel free to give feedback or comment or provide your own tips :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hi! I think Jan is right-on, especially about being super clean.

One of our first guest complained about finding one of my hairs in the sheets (I had just washed them in that very morning) and so now I always use a lint roller to make sure the bedding is hair-free (even if I can’t see any). I also am insanely cautious about any hair in the bathroom and make sure to inspect the floor and use a hand-vac (after mopping) has I back out of the room.

My husband and I both work and we have two small children, so picking up guests is not an option for us. However, we always provide a bottle of wine (or beer depending on our guests’ preference) and a bar of chocolate. We have an in-depth welcome page that details our neighborhood and then list a few other restaurants and recommendations in our city.

5 Likes

I think adding an additional touch is always a good idea. Little things make the difference. I know using fresh cut flowers, nice arrangements in the bedroom, bathroom or some stems on the pillow make a big difference.

3 Likes

I totally agree with Jan_J.

Could not have said it any better myself. :smile:

1 Like

Aside from making sure your unit is spotless and clean, some things I’ve heard hosts do which leads to positive reviews is:

1. Providing some sort of treat in the apartment (a 6 pack or a bottle of wine)
  2. Providing a hand-written welcome note
  3. Checking in with the guest via text to make sure things are good (usually only for guests who are staying more than 1-2 days).

Hope this helps!
Neel
Founder of MaidThis! Cleaning

4 Likes

These are all great suggestions! If you don’t have the budget to implement some of these, homemade treats are always much appreciated. You don’t even need to make it from scratch per se. Just buy a boxed cupcake or brownie mix and glam it up with some frosting and I’m sure your guests will be touched all the same. It’s about the gesture as much as the item.

6 Likes

Do you think guests would want these extras over a lower nightly rate? After paying taxes, etc. I probably net around $70/night on my 1 br apartment. I’ve noticed that the cost of extras (cream, coffee, beer, wine, yogurt) is reaching over $10/visit and I’m considering raising my rate by $5/night to cover this. AirBNB regulars have higher expectations than first time users since they’ve received these extras before and seem to have a higher standard.

4 Likes

One thing that I always provide on arrival for guests is 2 travel cards with enough credit on them to travel around the city for the first day. In Melbourne, the cards cost $7 each without any credit on them. The other gift I often buy is a bottle of wine. These are usually greatly appreciated.

I originally offered breakfast items such as bread, milk, eggs etc but most people didn’t use them and as I eat mostly at work (a restaurant), I didn’t want to see food go to waste. I think in future I will email guests prior ro arrival asking them if there is anything I can get for them prior to arrival such as eggs, milk or anything more specific. I’m happy to spend $30-40 on each booking, especially if they’re staying longer than 4-5 days.

Once a booking is complete, I will also send them an email with a PDF attachment of my House Guide which includes directions from the airport, transport options and rough prices, a guide of the house and it’s facilities, a map of the local area and where things like supermarkets are. I also provide recomendations for the best restaurants, bars and local attractions. It is something that evolves and started as a 2-3 page thing that is now around 10 pages long!

1 Like

Aside from the perfectly clean part, I think the rest is absolutely absurd, and airbnb propaganda. There’s no way you can make this profitable enough (unless you are happy with far less for your work than I am) if you are providing champagne, fresh cut flowers and transport for guests. Ridiculous. Even the most high end hotels don’t provide all three, with the flowers in the bedroom. They will have flowers in the entry, as I do - from my garden in season, and bought for special occasions in winter. But as for the rest, unless they are longer stays in my whole home I would not provide the champagne. I definitely do not provide the transport for guests staying in my home, or I will then be expected to start running them all over town, and of course back to the station because well, aren’t we ‘buddies’ now? No, we’re not. You are paying a price less expensive than the local best western to stay in my much more beautiful home, and you will get a simple breakfast, great coffee or tea, wonderful views, a pool, fireplaces, many lovely things to look at that wouldn’t be at the Best Western, but you will not be getting treated like you are at the Ritz for cheaper than BW prices. If beat western or similar franchises can’t make things like that work on a larger scale with access to massive business discounts, how do you think we could be able to? It is absurd, and I hate that this whole thing of pushing hosts to compete to offer more and more perks is getting out of hand. It just makes it less worthwhile to do, and creates a bunch of silly expectant twats.

33 Likes

By the way, about to check off this silly forum. It’s so unrealistic. If a superhost of two years (almost in a month) with a 96% average of 5 star reviews, can do it with out all this carry on, then what am I doing right?

7 Likes

Oh great! A voice of reason. Champaign, flowers, transportation equals no profits. I provide clean spa bathrobes, supurb Continental breakfast, loads of help with tourist and local maps and entertainment directions, and a glass of wine at 6:00 pm. My reviews are great and I’m considering increasing my price.

7 Likes

There you go. Now that’s some excellent advice talking. A way to offer a luxurious feeling stay without running yourself into the ground with spending every last cent of profits. You sound like a great host! I too give the bathrobes, and guests love them. They’re a one time expenditure or at least something that lasts a good length of time so the investment pays, as does a great continental breakfast so that if guests want to spend time enjoying your place then they can without the tummy rumbles chasing them out the door to the nearest cafe. It needn’t be expensive, because this will eat into the budget too, but good presentation is everything. A helpful host is always appreciated, and I love the glass of wine idea. Very nice for those that want to meet the host or socialize without breaking the bank.

It almost seems like this crap is generated by people that have never even hosted.

2 Likes

Agree …I think the OP may be trying to promote his/her site… and one way to do that is to make comments on forums like this and social media. Sebastian above, comments, obviously trying to promote his flower service.

Agree with Sandy, providing some the extravagant things the OP suggests is totally absurd and cuts into the profit margins. It’s not only money we are talking about here but time.

I describe exactly what I have in the listing, what they can expect (what they CAN"T expect) and rarely do I do anything extra! I have been a host practically from the inception of AirBnB and I don’t think champagne and flowers are going to garner a five star rating if they don’t like your location or think you are too expensive. I’ll never have a superhost rating because I am not a five star place, nor do I market myself as one.My selling point is that I’m centrally located for sightseeing and in a rural country area near a secluded beach in Hawaii-- but I am not near a Starbux or nightlife.

I’ve experimented from time to time with extras and they are never acknowledged or appreciated. You leave bagels and they are on a gluten free diet. Or you leave wine and they are in AA. You just don’t know what they will like. I once decided to offer coffee, but my guests staying two weeks went through the whole can. That’s like lowering my price $10.99 because that’s what a can of coffee costs. So now I don’t do it.

I market mine as a budget place by the beach in Hawaii. There may be coffee available and leftover from previous guests but maybe not. Guests are encouraged to stop for provisions. I don’t provide breakfast, drinks, meals or other provisions. That is up to the guests.

As for bathrobes, I have thought of that too, but then it just makes something extra to wash, and time is money people! I noticed every time I add something to the apartment that is one more thing to clean.

I will do flowers cut from my yard. There are always plumerias, gardenias, helliconia and anthurium blooming year round. It takes seconds to cut them and place them.

The OPs advice about dust is good and reminds me that my studio bed needs a good vacuum underneath!

4 Likes

I wish I’d been able to read some of this first. I think my nightmare guest arrived this morning and as I’m so new to this I’m not sure how to handle it. I’d like to pre-empt any negative action and any sage advice that hosts can offer will be greatly appreciated. BTW my first guest left a review saying it was the best airbnb experience they’d had.

So, the room has been booked by a couple. The girlfriend arrived this morning, the partner (who booked the accommodation and who I corresponded with) will arrive in a couple of days.

I emailed them a day ahead to let them know our city was quite cold at the moment, a few degrees colder than normal. They panicked. They were from a warm climate so I promised to have the heater on before their arrival. I had also agreed to let the gf check in early as she was coming from overseas and on an early flight. I got up at 6am and switched on the heater, skipped dropping my kids to school so I could be home to receive the guest, carried both the suitcases up to her room (no word of thanks), had provided milk, bread, butter, jam, juice, soft drinks, chocolates and a bottle of wine. She told me she was cold and had arrived with no winter clothes! Duh. It’s the middle of winter here and they’re staying for a week!

So I said I could bring a bigger heater, bring more blankets for the bed and lend her jumpers and coats until she could get to the shops. All she need to do once she’d showered and settled was just knock on my door and let me know what she would like.

Next thing I know, I receive a very rude email from the partner who is yet to arrive saying: the gf is cold, too cold to take a shower even, the room isn’t warm enough and ‘what am I going to do about it?’ I stopped short of telling him it’s hard to be warm if you’re walking around in a singlet!

I’ve got the horrible sinking feeling that these two are going to be an absolute nightmare. I’ve taken in an oversized (in fact overkill) heater and extra blankets - we’re not talking sub-zero by the way, but Australia on a slightly colder season. Other than bending over backwards to accommodate their requirements, what can I do to stall any further poor behaviour on their part. They are new to airbnb (yes my mistake, no verification and no reviews) as maybe they don’t understand the whole ‘guest in someone’s home ethos’, but how can I halt any further unreasonable behaviour on their part.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Wilbur, this is truly awful, and it seems to me you went out of your way, doing way more than they deserve. Any experienced traveler always checks the weather in the place they are traveling to, so it’s really their fault that they came unprepared. You are renting out a room, not holding their hand during their travels! I think a lot of hosts forget this!

I’m afraid I’m not too helpful with your plight aside from just offering my sympathies and assure you that not all guests act like this. The surly demanding partner is a jerk. Reminds me of a woman who checked in and demanded I replace all my light bulbs with brighter ones. “I need that done right away” like she was talking to the bell hop.

Since they are already unhappy and cold, not much more you can do. All I can suggest otherwise is to getting a countdown timer (well-known device for Air hosts) and count the seconds until they leave. Then leave them a bad review at the stroke of midnight on the last minute of their review period to warn other hosts. Do let us know how it turns out.

3 Likes

Hi Wilburforce,

You sound like a kind and caring person. Just like I was when I started airbnb :laughing: It’s a real pity, but lots of people will take advantage of you if you let them. There’s a word you’re going to have to learn how to get comfortable using, a lot. It’s NO.

I have a bit of advice. First of all, call airbnb, and let them know what kind of behavior you are dealing with, and how far you have already gone out of your way to accommodate these people. They are bullying you and making you uncomfortable, and this is not ok. In fact, airbnb should support you should you want to have them checked out early to stay elsewhere. My experience with these kinds of guests is that things can get worse, not better. You can do what most of us do, which is count down the time until they’re gone hoping they don’t damage anything (they will rack up your utility bill with that heater guarranteed). But make sure airbnb knows you are having trouble. This is because they WILL complain about you or leave a bad review, which after what you have been through is completely unfair. Airbnb should be able to remove the review or prevent it from happening.

Are you alone? Are you a female? When we have these kinds of guests, and I have done the introduction and comms, this is the point that ‘the man of the house’ makes his presence felt in a ‘hello pleased to meet you - you better not mess with me the way you’ve been messing with the Mrs kind of way.’ And pleasantly lays a few ground rules. This very often causes them to buck up their ideas a bit. It is absolutely amazing how people will take advantage of a woman, but will show respect to a man. Unbelievable turn around every time. if you haven’t got a man to do this (sad as it sounds), you will have to stiffen up and show the ‘tough love’ yourself.

While its always good form to have adequate heating and cooling, this doesn’t mean providing clothing. KonaC was correct, travelers are responsible for checking the weather. Please never give guests your clothes. You are not their mother. You will be lucky to get them back in the condition you gave them. Their mistake means they get to go and buy some new clothes, like all silly travelers that don’t check the weather. Would a hotel or resort ever provide clothing to a guest? Why on earth should you? You are not their friend, and I can assure you, you are not being treated as such, nor will they treat you as such when they take their leave. You will not be shown any appreciation, even after all the bending over backwards. Such is this kind of ‘I am the centre of the universe, I paid a paltry sum and now you are my servant’ kind of person.

Airbnb guests (or people in general) that don’t take responsibility for themselves, and think they can make others pay the price for their poor decision making are a dime a dozen unfortunately. A new skill we have to learn to survive without getting caught up in people’s escalating demands, is to politely turn things back on the person they belong. It takes some practice, but after a while you’ll spot these types from a mile off, and hopefully weed them out before they get to your door, and if not, you can politely let them know where they can go to get themselves sorted.

Time to stand up and let the girlfriend know that it was her own responsibility to pack wisely for her trip and stop the moaning, and take the boyfriend to task for making you responsible for their own bad choices. Let them know that their behavior is being reported to airbnb if they don’t tone it down. Share all comms with airbnb (this is why I do all my communicating through their message system - much easier to prove the malarkey that goes on when they do it right under Airbnb’s nose.

Now, here’s a few tips for the future so that you never have guests that feel they can push the envelope with you again. Because if they start realizing they can, they will. Despite what airbnb says, NEVER be flexible with your arrival time more than an hour, unless they are prepared to pay an extra half a day. After all, they are asking to use the room an extra half a day without paying, and you will have to have it ready that much further in advance, and as you noticed, rearrange your entire daily schedule. You chose a check in time based on a time that you can be there. Just stick to it by saying, in an email closer to guests arrival: 'check in is at … Please send me a message or text giving me an ETA when you know your arrival time so I can be there to greet you.

As for the suitcase carrying, in future if it’s a woman alone, I might offer to take one, but I offer in a really noncommittal ‘you don’t really want me to carry your suitcases as if I’m the bellboy?’ way. Something like ‘are you ok? Great’. ‘Oh, you don’t need help, cool!’. Because seriously folks, time to learn to pack appropriately for travel. I am NOT injuring my back for your disastrous packing job. At the most, I offer to carry up a large suitcase together, as in I take the top, you the bottom up the stairs kind of deal. For the ladies alone that have overpacked.

Work out what you are comfortable providing. For a short stay, make sure it doesn’t eat into your budget. I feel you went overboard with the provisions. Generosity is always nice, but you are not hosting your long lost family here - these are people that can sometimes be as awful as you are just beginning to find out. There are ways make your room welcoming without spending a fortune each time - and having to run to the store.

Hope this helps!

11 Likes

Fantastic response by Sandy!!! Everything I wanted to say and was too tired to write last night! She is right, right, right!!! Kudos to Sandy, five-star response!!!

I would only add that sometimes it is possible to figure out that you may have trouble with guests by the correspondence they use with their initial inquiry. Watch out for unsophisticated travelers who ask a million questions. Watch out for singles of the same sex traveling alone. Watch out for travelers under 25.

That being said, I HAVE had five-star guests from all of the groups I have mentioned above… Including two who just checked out… I was hesitatnt to take their reservation because they were very young women from Portland traveling as singles… (As my friends here know, I had had the guests from hell recently who matched that description–the ones who demanded the brighter light bulbs and openly dissed me as I was showing the apartment upon arrival, then later invited strange men to a rager, left a mess and broke a leaf on my new table. Jennifer Heckman Portland Oregon, don’t rent to her!!!) So I almost turned down a $700 reservation in my dead season! because they were two singles from Portland just like Jennifer. This girl, Sarah, had assured me she was a quiet mouse, as was her friend, was only 18, and even offered to pay more as renters with no reviews yet…I really debated…but in the end I decided she was OK. I trusted my gut and rented to her, and she was fantastic… she was all said she was and more… ! Even though she had no reviews or verifications. I have concluded that’s not always an accurate way to screen guests.

So just goes to show… I have had guests with good reviews, etc. That turned out to be bad…and guests without even a profile pic or review who turned out to be five star…Truly there is no way to know when your guests will be Fantastic or HORRIBLE…

That said, I had another set of guests once… Flew in from Holland. I could see that he was acting like an a** upon arrival. (“yeah, it’s an hour from town, not 45 like your instructions say,” ) and he was nasty… Complained because the neighbor, who was always quiet, got on her cellphone and talked on her lanai and it woke him up. He complained about all the “noise” (refrigerator humming, clock ticking, water pump going off) and wrote that it was like “staying in Manhatten in the middle of summer”, and I was so stressed upon hearing this and contacted Air about how uncomfortable I felt…I was sure I would get the mother of all smackdowns in a review and began to set the countdown timer…

Well, lo and behold, it turns out they were knackered from their international flight, bought some earplugs, apologized for bristling at me, settled into Hawaii life and communed with some sea turtles, and left me a glowing review!

You just never do know…

but back to your case, I do agree with Sandy…open a case with Air NOW… Make sure everything is documented via their messaging threads…

Perhaps add to your guest docs to remind travelers that seasons are reversed Down Under and they are flying into winter if they come in our “summer.” (Were these guests Americans by any chance?!! I’m guessing yes… LOL. The Ugly Demanding Americans!) Sandy is so right, don’t lend clothes… Don’t go running around for them, don’t allow early check in (I provide a zillion ideas for guests to do if they arrive in Kona early-- NO early checkins or late check outs! Zero benefit to the host!! ) and don’t break your back taking their suitcases…enough is enough!!!

Hats off to all of you people who host these often ungrateful guests INSIDE your personal space. I could never do it!

Keep us posted and open a case with Air now. You should never have to host anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable!

2 Likes

Wilbur – how would you feel about politely telling them that you sense they’re unhappy with your place and ask if they would like to find another place to stay? (Because I’m sure it’s not winter at a hotel, somewhere…). If you can’t afford the loss, I get it, but I just told some unpleasant, unappreciative guests that they were free to leave that very morning if they weren’t happy with the apt and that I would happily refund their remaining nights. I got back a response that the apt was great and the first “thank you” I heard since they arrived.

So it might be enough to shift the dynamic if you indicate that they are free to go if they might be happier elsewhere. This might allow them to recognize that their problems (mainly that they are dumb-asses) would not be resolved by a change in venue.

7 Likes

Chicago, I would not offer to refund one thin dime! If your listing was exactly as described and they are unhappy for some other reason (some people are chronically unhappy and would not even be happy in the Ritz) then the problem is theirs and they are free to LEAVE with no refund from YOU! I have had people leave unexpectedly with six unused days on their reservation, leaving no review… (was I THAT bad that they threw away $700? Whatever! Good riddance! Plus no bad review? Good riddance and happy bank account!) :slight_smile:

We as hosts have to get over this idea that we are doing them a FAVOR by letting them stay in our homes and that we somehow have to cater to their every whim to keep them happy…that we are their wait staff. NO.

(Case in point that Canadian guest I had who needed his hand held on every little thing regarding his reservation… when he got here, he was nice --and short, I might add, possibly a bit of the Napolean complex :smile: – I did everything to help him, including plan his goddam Hawaii itinerary for him…everything, excepting wiping that boy’s bottom with a huggie, and he STILL left a laundry list of complaints in a review so long it made my head spin, idiot!!! He was only here three days and paid my low season rate of $79 per night but had to find so much wrong!) Hey next time go stay at the Pineapple Hostel… the next nearest thing around here. $89 per night plus shared kitchen and bath!

Conclusion: This kind of guy won’t be happy anywhere, and frankly some people just cannot connect with Hawaii. The bugs, the rain (hello if it didn’t rain we would be a desert island) the heat, the prices, the whatever… KNOW WHAT I MEAN?? They aren’t even happy in a tropical paradise that most of my guests find enchanting. Yeah we have a few bugs. It’s the tropics. I clearly explain all in a 15-page guest document… and they will still find something to grouse about. Next time go to the Caribbean! LOL…

5 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with this excellent piece of advice CH. When guests realize that you aren’t desperate for their money and at this moment aren’t too thrilled with their behavior (even though you can frame the suggestion in a way that is all about them - because let’s face it, it’s all that works for these types of people), they suddenly realize that maybe they do have it pretty good here, and the thought of having to pack up, and go off somewhere to pay up to double the price isn’t appealing at all. I would be surprised if the guests actually took you up on the offer - in fact they are likely thrilled with this very situation because they feel it affords them more attention than they would get elsewhere.

Whenever I try to tell guests trying to book that seem too picky that my home doesn’t seem like the right fit for them in the booking process, they suddenly get all desperate to book it! It’s almost as if the possibility of not having it makes them yearn for it more strongly than being told it has everything they wanted - which is usually the line of inquiry that leads me to make these remarks.

My husband and I are also of the belief (having been through some traumatic experiences) that NO amount of money is worth going through stress with people that are taking advantage of us ever again. It is this reason that I think the advice is most sage. There will always be another booking. But these terrible situations, when you feel like you have lost all control in your own home, and other people have now emotionally overpowered your usually happy environment, that stay with you. The memories come back, you play them over, wondering if you did something to deserve it (you didn’t), or what you could have done differently.

If people are unhappy enough to want to leave, encourage them to do so, so that the peace in your home is restored asap (quite likely airbnb will support you and make sure you get paid anyway), but it is my belief that more often than not, it will play out just as it did in CH’s case. Taking back control by not feeding into the drama, and showing that you mean for it to end, is the best thing you can do.

5 Likes