What are your top tips for making your guests happy?

Spam…flagging it. And BTW Big Island Mo bettah

Well, I think it depends, what kind of guests you normally host.
In my case, i will focus on coupe of days to weeks, e.g. parents of students coming to visit their children, or post docs attaining some seminar or something.

For them, candy at the beginning is quite enough, i think. More important than the self made goodie is that machines in the kitchen or the washingmashine is working and so on.

And that the place is clean.
I am no hotel… and I don´t want to be one :slight_smile: I will give the people a comfy stay. At the end, all extras have to be paid somehow.

I think, it depends on which kind of guests you want to have.

And if the price tag is somhow related to the whole thing in a sensible manner, all is fine.

But higher revenue doesn´t mean higher income. :smile:
So perhaps you can increase your price, and you will have to, but the amount left will still be the same.

Just stick to your business plan, or your idea of providing accomondation.

I have a ton of succulents in my yard, I buy one cheap 399 bouquet of flowers from trader joes and make up 3 succulent arrangements; I then divide up the bouquet from tj’s and weave the flowers into the 3 succulent arrangements. The succulents last a very long time, after which I can plant.just change water add new flowers. I do not provide alcohol since I don’t know if someone is battling an alcohol problem. Could lead to fights w a spouse. I also don’t want to pry and ask about alcohol. I provide Fiji water, coffee. I do not offer chocolate because many times when u open it it has turned white. I would only consider buying chocolate in a clear pack I can see. I might leave a bag of trader joes chips and caramel popcorn also. If someone stays a week or is himself a host(therefore they know about giving good reviews) I will put yogurt, milk and granola in fridge, maybe fruit too. I give them a large tray of purified ice cubes. I also mention if they liked their stay I’d appreciate a review but NOT to mention that I gave them this or that because then everyone else will expect that Bbq chicken to go lunch I made them.clean yes takes a long time I use a lint roller on everything and hold a light down to floor when I vacuum.im pretty anal on the clean thing but no time to clean my own house which s a mess😑

2 Likes

It’s a lot of work, isn’t it diamond? Oh the thought and time that goes into it! If only the guests knew! I know many are appreciative and the effort feels well worth it (as does the extra income). But boy does it sting when someone complains after all the time checking for dust (I am also as perfectionist, wiping down every surface including the trim - to the point that I wish I had enough energy to do my own area so meticulously), thinking of things to make for a beautiful stay, and preparing to help make guests as comfy as possible. Alas, it happens. Thankfully many do notice the effort. For me, it means as much as the income.

1 Like

My studio is far cleaner than my own house! I’ve just taken a break from stepping off a ladder to wipe the top of the fan blades!

2 Likes

I’m still a fairly new host…started a month ago and have had six sets of guests so far…and so far perfect five-star ratings across the board. I think what it comes down to is exceed expectations, and your guests will love you. I advertise only the basics along with the major selling point that i will be overjoyed to welcome them and answer any questions they have about my city (which is true…I am a social butterfly and cannot help myself). I say nothing about breakfast, the little extra shampoos and toothbrushes we leave in a basket, or the candies and mints we leave for them…so when they find these things (during the week we have 9-5 jobs but on the weekends when we are home are happy to invite guests to join us for breakfast), they are so pleasantly surprised and overjoyed that they just love me to death and leave glowing reviews.

Fortunately for me, I have not yet encountered the type of nightmare guests I am reading about here. It is only a matter of time I know! My plan is to take Chicago’s advice and politely say that I am so happy to be hosting them, however I am sensing they may have had different expectations, and I would be happy to refund their money for the remainder of their stay if they would prefer to find something more suitable. It seems that will shut down the chronically unhappy people so fast. I have a pretty good nose for sniffing out the super entitled folks early in the process…those who are already asking for extras before they even book for example. Just learn to LOVE that decline button. Because, it’s true. There will always be better guests waiting around the corner. I would rather put a little extra effort into finding guests who are happy and make me happy than dealing with assholes in my own home. Since I don’t depend on the AirBnB income to survive, I am in a position to say “no” when it is warranted, and it makes such a difference.

5 Likes

While we would all like to receive such welcomes when we travel - DO WE EVER? NO! Why? Because most likely none of us are staying at places and paying the prices needed to warrant this. it’s tough to make money in this business.

BEWARE using your auto for business will totally void your insurance and cause you deep heartache. Now, I do pick people up at our nearby metro stop when convenient to me, but I would never advertise it or make it part of the booking, I only offer, as a favor, after booking is completed.

Also, cooking food - anytime you crack an egg, cut a piece of fruit - you may be in violation of the local health code. I’m not saying no one should take that risk, but understand that it IS a risk.

I put a few pieces of ginger candy in a pretty dish and that’s it. My 10 year old cuts flowers from the garden and makes little arrangements - but I wouldn’t think twice about it if I couldn’t. Like another poster said - do they want to pay more $$$ just to have a few daisies at check in? Well then, let them head to the Four Seasons with a staff and investors…

My guests seem to really appreciate the help I give them figuring out where to go - they always mention it in reviews, so that’s a better investment of my time - learning more and new things about how to get around and where to go.

In my opinion a guest should be happy if they have a clean room to sleep in, shower, toiletries and WIFI . I price my room accordingly. I am nearing 40 guests and more and more I come to conclusion that extras are not appreciated.
Recent guest who I offered to drive to their next location saving them 20$ and then waiting for him to stop for one can of soup which turned into half an hour of waiting for him making the whole week shopping, left me a so so review and also In His private feedback said that he didnt like the mattress and he would like to have TV in a room. So, I don’t think candies on a pillow or flowers would change anyhting.
Lst instant book guests gave me 3* star on value. My room was the cheapest on IB. And they still didnt like the price. In a morning I offered them milk and cereal which is not included in my listing. Nothing helped!! I still got low rates.

In my opinion I am "pleasing"them by providing a comfortable stay In a nice clean house where they can have piecefull sleep and then hot shower Ina morning with free toiletries. They are not paying for anyhting other than that.

What I can’t understand why people can’t get this simple fact that Airbnb is not a hotel service. They are staying at people’s houses paying most likely at least half of what hotels are charging. This fact alone should make them very very happy.

5 Likes

Well said, Yana.

I was thinking about this post some more. I thought the originator didn’t go far enough -

After wooing them with champagne, fresh flowers and chocolates, have them attended to by your private masseuses, and then take them for a sunset cruise on your yacht - cause that’s what us hosts are doing every moment we can - drinking champagne and eating nice chocolates - oh wait, it’s a $13 bottle of red and a kit-kat bar…

2 Likes

It seems, that quite alot of us go out of our way to feel like we owe our guests a world on a stick and I am constantly being reigned in by my partner. I am always wanting to offer food, drink, lifts and after work beers etc,…

But the “voice of reason” (My partner) always tells me to stop feeling guilty. We dont advertise or charge high enough prices for such “extras”. It is not in our interest. And the guests do not expect it. Or at least, shouldn’t…

A small gesture, like Cyn, has mentioned, is all that matters, no matter what it is.

• We put out a tiny glass plate with a few (Individually wrapped) chocolates / sweets with a handwritten note on a brown paper “vintage price tag”. Which takes 10 secs to write. i.e. “WELCOME _____! We hope you enjoy your stay! ____ x”

Some eat it. Some dont. But it is personalised to their name. Which for me is where it will connect with the guest more than any expensive treats / drinks. Seeing your name on something is always nice. (Why coca cola did so well out of their campaign)

Other than that, just having a clean, tidy and smart room. Makes a difference. A touch of style and some nice pictures / mirrors/ cushions etc… and the MOST important, a comfy bed, is really all you need to make a guest feel warm, welcomed and comfortable. Which is the basic requirement of any human being who is paying to stay somewhere.

We have only had great reviews so far (touch wood). Most have mentioned the bed being comfy. Some of this comes down to only allowing those who write an informative initial enquiry. And great warm responses, in to our home. The ones, that are a slight possibility of being any trouble or impolite, dont get a look in. (Hopefully that remains…)

4 Likes

I love love love the idea of a welcome tag with their names on it. Thanks!!

4 Likes

:smile:

Plus, it only cost £2.99 (less than $5?) for 50 online!

So it should last for a while! (And any return guests, I have been re-using some of them!)

1 Like

I got several people i just dont accept
one of that was this guy this week:
Dear “xpto”, we would like to stay in Your house for two nights on our journey through Portugal, but i will not post any copy of my personal ID or any official documents through internet. We would be glad, if You can accept our booking in any way without this step. Of course i can show You my papers at our arrival.
Greetings
Jörg

Now you may say… i could have accepted?
No… No
Anyone that doesnt even trust Airbnb for some papers with photo, arent going to be good guests.

5 Likes

Hey folks,

I’m a first time host this weekend - your tips have been REALLY helpful. Thank you!

I personally use the Pearlshare app to send visitors recommendations for places near my house - I’m going to use this for my guests. Hastings is a big town with lots of options, so it’s good to have all of the best restaurants, cafes and things to do in one place.

You should check it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

some people do have identification theft concerns -

but that’s exactly why we require ID - because WE have theft concerns too!!

btw, airbnb does NOT allow anyone to book without providing ID.

I’m going to buy pretty paper, print it on word, and put it on a frame on the door. Thanks again for the tip!

I already had something hanging on the door. We have another person who lives in the basement. One day some very nice folks arrived, dropped their things, then ran out the door to see some sights while they could. When they returned past midnight they opened her bedroom door - while she was changing.

Luckily everyone had a good sense of humor (once the screaming stopped) but I immediately put signs on both doors - one marked ‘private’ the other marked ‘welcome!’. BOTH were in MANY languages, lol!!

2 Likes

We are a Family, and we love to host a guest as an another member of our family.
I love to cook and prepare some meals with our guests. One thing that I always give as a gift is a little precious stone (amethyst) typical of our country.
I have 3 bikes more and I always share with the guest, and of course I love to ride with them around, show them nice spots and take good pictures.

1 Like

We only Air our spare room in our small home so providing things like flowers and wine isn’t worth it! One of the first think I ask my guests when they arrive is they would like a hot drink and maybe a biscuit etc. If they have been driving a while or had a long day at work then a nice hot drink and a chat to your host is great isn’t it… puts the guests more at ease.

5 Likes

I found this article pretty helpful for guest communication which really is the foundation for making them happy: https://www.tripping.com/owners/guest-communication. Always be upfront.