Unsolved mystery

Perhaps you can share your insight and help me solve this mystery…I have two 1-bed/1 bath apartments in the same building, the two were bought 8 months apart. Apartment A has no terrace and no view; apartment B is a bit larger than apt A and has a terrace with a view. Apartment A has over 20 reviews, apartment B (the most recent purchase) has two reviews (reviews of A and B are all good). Surprisingly, even when apartment B is priced lower, it’s apartment A that guests want to book. Is it possible that the number of reviews is the one variable prompting folks to want the smaller no-view apartment A?

Walk up or is there an elevator? If a walk-up, what floor?

Hi @MissMiami,

Could you share the listing links?

If that’s the only variable then maybe that’s it. Is that a problem? If you are trying to get more reviews on Apt. B maybe you could direct some people over to that listing and ask them to book that one instead? Also, there is so much competition in that same building. How do others even get booked at their higher prices?

@faheem
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8666231 apartment A
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13397774 apartment B
There is an elevator, so stairs is not a variable.

@KKC
Dusty, yes, there is a lot of competition and other more expensive units do get booked as well. It’s quite interesting…

What I think is that apartment A is nicer in the photos, it looks more like a hotel, whereas apartment B comes across as a bit of a bachelor pad. No suggestions how to fix that it’s just what I get from first impressions.

3 Likes

@melmo,
Melissa, actually, you are correct: apartment A has all of the early 1980s furniture/décor of the hotel (I changed nothing)l, while apartment B was previously owned by a guy (and he changed the original hotel décor). I have mentioned in the past that my units are in a condo-hotel; most of the units are managed by a hotel management company (the owner makes less than 50% of the income of the unit and that’s why I prefer to manage my own units)…

1 Like

The one with the terrace has no dining area inside so maybe that is a factor. Apartment A looks bigger except for the bathroom? I have to say I hate the foil on the stove top drip pans. That’s something my mom would do in the 1960’s so it makes me kind of nostalgic in a good way, but no, not in a rental. You can get replacement pans on Amazon or at Walmart. Also the stainless front dishwasher looks dirty to me. Either get a different angle for the picture or polish off the front of it. I’ve found plain water that is buffed/polished off until it’s dry is very effective. If you wipe it with a cloth or sponge and let it air dry it will look smeared/hazy. Sorry to be hypercritical but I know you are trying hard to increase your bookings.

Simple. Photos for A are much better - I notice you haven’t had the airbnb photographer shoot B. The actual furnishings and decor are better at A, and you have more clutter at B.

2 Likes

I would change the order of photos, for sure. My guess is the building photo draws them in, and apartment B starts off with just a photo of the bedroom.

Also, your security deposit on B is $175 higher than A, and check in is an hour later.

I didn’t read the rest of the listing, but if it’s pretty much the same, I’d match what you’re saying about apartment A and see if that changes anything,

I agree with melmo. Something about the furniture in A makes it appear that 4 people can enjoy dinner together at a real table. The sofa looks “homey” and the angle of the living room photo makes it look comfortable and not too angular. In the B photos, it looks like the only place to eat is on the terrace, on counter height stools [which many people detest] with no area to eat in the apartment, so no having a nice dinner. The angle of the living room photos in B looks like a bowling alley, and doesn’t feel all that welcoming. Other minor items are, the tile in A is more attractive and the washing machines look much nicer.

“A” just looks nicer. I can’t really explain why. The color scheme and light, maybe?

1 Like

@KKC, Dusty, I welcome your feedback. I’ve tried not using the foil, but some guests can be incredibly messy, even boiling milk that overflows the pot and gets under the stove top…Yes, perhaps we need to change the product/method we use for the front of the dishwasher.
Anyone else think that the lack of a formal dining table is a factor?

There’s something about the kitchen photo in B…It looks dark and kind of gloomy and cramped. I think it’s the lighting and camera angle.

1 Like

They are both absolutely lovely! Looking at them both under a microscope I agree with @melmo that apartment A’s photos are nicer - everything looks crisp and clean. Apartment B in comparison looks dark and tired but I think it’s just the dark paint you’ve used. Maybe your space and decore would look nicer against lighter paint colours?? Like beachy creams and blues?

1 Like

@Garden1GnomeMargo, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I didn’t decorate either unit, it’s pretty much how it was when I purchased them. I really don’t know what makes A more attractive, it can’t be the 1980s décor…or maybe it is…I’m often shocked when guests consider it “beautiful”; when I first saw it I immediately thought that all of the furniture had to be trashed and replaced, but now I’m afraid to make any changes…

1 Like

@SuiteRetrea, thank you for your feedback! As I mentioned before, I haven’t touched the décor/furniture but now I’m wondering if I need to paint apartment B in white. However, I used different photographers, could that be a contributing factor? I’d hate to put any money towards the décor…but if I wanted to do so, what would you suggest that I do?

@Garden1Gnome, yes, Margo, it does look dark, I even bought some red pots/pans to make it a bit brighter…any suggestions for brightening it up on a budget?

In fact, in both apartments everything was left behind by the sellers (as I required by contract), even the tissue box and blow driers!