Note from code enforcement officer - neighbor(s) complained

Also many local public prosecutors are way too busy to enforce laws that supposedly include new ‘developments’, such as sub-renting. They got like real criminals to worry about. LoL

1 Like

In my state, airbnb already collects taxes on behalf of the host, so I would assume its legal. I just went ahead and started mine without thinking about local issues or what neighbors think. …but then I would think if it’s legal in the state then all jurisdictions would allow it? I would think the state government overrides anything the local government says/does

i know there are minor differences in each town here in South Florida, and different fees. I asked because i have one crazy neighbor. So, i knew he would make troubles. He called city on us from day 1. Long story but if you knew, its a fact that neighbor is clinical case.

1 Like

I also researched my township’s zoning codes on the website, and all that, I even searched specifically for short term rentals and found absolutely nothing. Of course what I’m going through now, no way am I going to talk directly to the township .

I also thought (it occurred to me afterwards) that it would have been more than a mere business card with a written message if this were an actual complaint. I’m sure in that case I would have received an official violation notice…and it would have come by now…im sure they would have sent it immediately after the complaint.

Her office received a call. She went down with a card. If she was serious about citing you it would have happened by now. I’m no attorney but I don’t think you should worry too much if someone comes by with a business card. To me that’s just paying lip service to the neighbor who complained. Going through the trouble and expense of a variance is totally ridiculous. That’s if you wanted to open an actual storefront at your front door.

I don’t know. I’d be tempted to let this one go. If you find the neighbor who complained, take them aside and show them how easy it is to do ABB! If you can’t beat them, join them!

A town near me banned ABB 3 years ago. At that time, there were no bills passed in the state banning ABB.

I don’t know. I’d be tempted to let this one go. If you find the neighbor who complained, take them aside >and show them how easy it is to do ABB! If you can’t beat them, join them!

Yes, if i find the one who complained I’ll show them about Airbnb and how easy it is, not to mention the extra money (assuming they have a bedroom to spare) then they will say “if you can’t beat them, join them” then who knows, they may start an airbnb listing!

Were any bills passed for your state since then?

Yeah, i wish it did blow off my door. If i had to do it all over I would have just ignored it until I got a more official notification (if one was to come at all) and if the code officer asked why I did not respond I would have said “I never saw your business card on my door. It must have blown away in the wind”.

3 Likes

That’s the impression I get also. But the town near me banned even ABB’s where owner lives and stays on the property. They have a very aggressive enforcement policy.

1 Like

We had a complaint as well and I called Baltimore County to ask about the “rules.” I found out that as long as I was living in the house, I could rent one room to someone other than family. More than one room would constitute a “boarding house.” So I have managed to put that into conversations with my neighbors, in case any of them are considering complaining!

Where is this town? Hopefully its not near me!

It’s that town that banned public dancing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know where that is, but as far as I’m aware, that’s not my town!

Actually, it’s a good thing, because if you have your rental in the town near it, if people search for that town, you come up in the listings :slight_smile:

Kasage00

Anything new pop up since then? Was that code officer at it again?

nope, nothing as of now…not a thing…but no news is good news

I’m in contact with a new attorney, and she is contacting the code officer in writing, asking for full details on the complaint.

She also asks me how Airbnb is different than listing rooms for rent on sites like Craigslist, or just renting to family/friends? I think there is no difference…renting a room is renting a room, no matter to who or how it’s listed.

Ma be its a good idea just not to react at all?

I thought that too at first, but I’m not so sure, I have a feeling that code officer will follow up at some point, especially if it was a neighbor who reported me and is watching to see if I’m still operating my AirBnB “business”. This is why I find it disturbing not knowing how I was reported.

1 Like

I think it is a good idea to at least talk to an attorney to be prepared for what might happen in the future.