Note from code enforcement officer - neighbor(s) complained

Where is this town? Hopefully its not near me!

Itā€™s that town that banned public dancing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know where that is, but as far as Iā€™m aware, thatā€™s not my town!

Actually, itā€™s a good thing, because if you have your rental in the town near it, if people search for that town, you come up in the listings :slight_smile:

Kasage00

Anything new pop up since then? Was that code officer at it again?

nope, nothing as of nowā€¦not a thingā€¦but no news is good news

Iā€™m in contact with a new attorney, and she is contacting the code officer in writing, asking for full details on the complaint.

She also asks me how Airbnb is different than listing rooms for rent on sites like Craigslist, or just renting to family/friends? I think there is no differenceā€¦renting a room is renting a room, no matter to who or how itā€™s listed.

Ma be its a good idea just not to react at all?

I thought that too at first, but Iā€™m not so sure, I have a feeling that code officer will follow up at some point, especially if it was a neighbor who reported me and is watching to see if Iā€™m still operating my AirBnB ā€œbusinessā€. This is why I find it disturbing not knowing how I was reported.

1 Like

I think it is a good idea to at least talk to an attorney to be prepared for what might happen in the future.

Knowledge is always king, no doubt.

How does a person look up this type of info - Google it? What key words would you use? I googled it and came up with nothing.

Hi @Rebecca1,

What type of info? And Google search is a useful but limited tool. Doesnā€™t work well without distinctive search terms, for example.

info on zoning and regulations for your area

To give the latest update, my attorney (the new one) wrote a letter to the code enforcement officer requesting information on the complaints, but as of now the code enforcement officer has not respondedā€¦and this is going on 2 weeks ago. Does anyone think its odd for the enforcement officer to take this long to respond if my AirBnB was really that much of an issue?

I guess it depends on code enforcement person. Mine is very prompt.
But i have a feeling, that they put it behind them.

1 Like

I think so too. If my AirBnb were really an issue then Iā€™m sure the code enforcement officer would have responded sooner.

1 Like

I think they just were required to respond to the complaint and they did, but beyond that they donā€™t have any interest in following up.

3 Likes

Hey kasage00, has anything new popped up on this? I hope your listing is still active (which sounds like it i
God forbid you were forced to shut down, what would stop you from turning to other sites like craigslist and get a long term to permanent roommate? Donā€™t get me wrong, I hope you never have to go that route!! If a neighbor truly is spying on you (shame on them if they are) then they could think a family member moved in by seeing a more ā€œpermanantā€ car on your driveway.

Paladin

Yes, my listing is still active! I just reached superhost status and Iā€™m not letting them ruin it! As of now nothing newā€¦i hope it stays that way. I am sure by now if my Airbnb was really an issue, the township would have sent something more serious by now. Iā€™m also sure if I was on a neighborā€™s radar, they would have reported me again. Iā€™ve had many guests since then and no new complaints from the township.
Yes, craigslist in dangerous, and I would avoid them in every way possible!

1 Like

You know what. They just had to respond to a complaint by coming out. There was no intent to enforce it it seems. Otherwise you would have been cited on the spot.

1 Like