Guests Smoking...Boot Them?

What an annoying policy! How can you get a letterhead for something like replacing sheets and linens?

If the damage is something you can fix yourself, are you supposed to still get a quote on an official letter head? For example, if a guest makes a hole in the drywall, I can fix that myself, and it would be a waste of everyone’s time to have a professional come give a quote. (Well, except that I have a carpenter friend who could make me an invoice on her letterhead as a favor, but what if I didn’t?)

1 Like

I’m a millennial myself and have a lot of complaints about my own generation (see my recent post about guests lacking common sense–it is my fellow millennials!), but I think you’re being a bit harsh in your characterization. I think we could have complaints about any generation’s habits as guest without saying, “This is what’s wrong with kids/middle-aged people/elders today!”

I agree. I’m 58 and I have about 70% guests age 18-30. 98% of them are great. My worst guests, as measured by giving me 3 stars and cancelling the third day of a 3 day stay were in their (I’m guessing) late 40’s. I’ve also had several retired couples who are great. I just don’t think people can resist stereotyping.

3 Likes

Yup, or ABB won’t pay. It’s a crappy policy. If you buy something from a store, they want a receipt, and not just a hand written receipt, but something similar to that of Target where its printed

Good point about reviews! I don’t think I’ve had a guest under age 30 leave less than a five-star review. They are usually so happy to have a real bed and a clean space to themselves.

I forgot to mention earlier, but the smokers azreala had to deal with were a whole family, so even if the parents weren’t smoking, they were condoning the adult children’s behavior, so again, I don’t think it is fair to blame one generation. This whole family acted inappropriately!

That is so strict! Some businesses do hand-written quotes and receipts. I just got a bid this morning on air conditioning from a reputable company that has been around a 100 years, and the bid was hand-written! If it were a repair quote, Air wouldn’t accept that!

1 Like

I thought they claimed the dad was the one smoking. Regardless, smokers of any age are problematic for me.

I wasn’t quite sure if the dad was really smoking, or the kids just blamed him. Either way, sounds like the whole family was in cahoots with the bad behavior!

1 Like

Charge their deposit 100%. We have no tolerance (throat cancer survivor) for breaking that rule!!! Period.

2 Likes

It’s that desire for control, to be able to define and predict - it’s futile!!

Now watch, I have two guys from Germany showing up tonight - I’ve gone the extra bit cleaning the entrance to the house. They have been great at communicating and sound very friendly. Let’s see how it goes…let’s see how it goes.

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. Please see previous poat by myself and ofhers how Air handles deposit requests fron hosts.

1 Like

I don’t have your problem with smokers. I announce that I accept smokers and they take care of their needs respectfully. They do not stink and they are very considerate. Perhaps you should consider working with people with addictions instead of condemning them. Would you throw your son out of the house if he was hocked on drugs?

How do you announce that? With the words “no smoking” in your rules? How odd.

1 Like

Good point, I shall review my comments.

I’d like to add that I didn’t attack the character of smokers or those that host them. I didn’t say anything about addiction. I grew up with smokers, I suffered health problems from being around them and I am very much familiar with the addictive and destructive power of tobacco. If you would like to run your bnb as a refuge for smokers, please do so. Also please disclose it in your listing, which you don’t, because it does leave a stench behind and if you think it doesn’t you should realize that your sense of smell has been compromised.

2 Likes

I said I would review my comments.

Where do you find that I stated “I announce that I accept smokers”? I do not see it in my lisiting?

Are you kidding? It’s in your post above, from yesterday. I’ve attached a screen shot. Also yesterday you posted virtually the same comment about breakfast in the same thread within hours of one another. I mean this very sincerely you should see a doctor about your memory loss.

3 Likes

Sounds like the listing is advertised as non-smoking, which may explain why so few guests have actually smoked indoors.

I went from feeling irritated by this posters defense of smoking (which she has done repeatedly and in another thread from Apr 27 she claimed she allows smoking in her apt. and has a smokers welcome sign) to confused. I can’t imagine anyone allowing smoking in their rental unless they only rent to smokers. It was bizarre and illogical and after looking up her listing I find it’s not true. All around strange.

1 Like