First bad guests... Hurray!

We are on Instant Book, without verified ID and without recommendations.
A verified ID would scare away a lot of our guests I believe. For most nationals AirBnB is still quite (:wink:) a new thing, and I believe it would be too much fuss for them.
And I don’t want to discriminate people without recommendations or reviews.

Whenever we see that someone is using AirBnB for the first time, we try to explain the homestay concept, gently direct them to our house rules and ask them about their travel plans or the reason of their visit. Whenever the guests hadn’t booked already (enquiry), this resulted in the guest not booking. But we are going to continue doing this anyway.

That is beside the point. As already explained at large, it was no problem to us. And not all people who arrive late act badly.

All due respect, but the day similar things happen in your place, tell us how you handled it. I don’t think it’s as easy as you make it sound.

Since we are actively looking to move to another place, this is out of the question at this moment, but in other cases it could be a good option. But even then, only if the outlay of the place is such that we can keep our valuables safe.

But this is why I propose an electronic keypad. metal keys are just so last century. :smiley:

3 Likes

But surely there are electronic solutions that don’t have a permanent impact? I don’t have this situation because my place is separate and lockable. But it sounds like with the security concerns in Lima, he’s justified about being paranoid about keys.

1 Like

But key or no key, the guest wasn’t right to throw a tantrum about something that was disclosed in the listing and to which she agreed to at the time of booking.

1 Like

I’ve got no idea! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I do not “give” out a key. I have a lockbox attached to my front porch where it can not be seen from the street. I recode the lockbox for each guest, using digits from their phone number so that they know it is personal, and if they arrive home and we are gone, having locked the house, they have access to the key to get in. In general, we do not lock our door. And I leave it unlocked at night. Guests lock it when they come in after we are in bed. If they return before then, I lock the doors and turn off the lights. To date, this has worked and several guests have mentioned that 1. They like not having the possibility of loosing a key and 2. Don’t have to figure out a key after a few too many drinks.

Of course, someone could take the key and have a copy made. At the moment, I prefer not to think that this is likely. No key duplication services within walking distance of the house! This would take more effort than most guests have shown in general.

@GutHend doesn’t disclose in his listing that he doesn’t give keys to guests.

"Contrary to what some people have written here, we don’t have the key-rule in our house rules. Why? Because I consider it normal to not hand over any keys. :slight_smile: It’s our home.
Do most live-in-hosts hand out keys here? :astonished: "

1 Like

I think the “key or no key for guests” is an interesting discussion, so I have made a poll about this :relaxed:.
See http://www.airhostsforum.com/t/live-in-hosts-do-you-give-guests-keys-to-the-front-door/12788

Yes, we rent the place. Loooooonnnngggg story. AirBnB helps us pay the rent :wink:.

This is like a realtor! Right?

Many realtors use similar boxes, correct. The difference is this one screws into the house whereas realtors use boxes that hang from the doorknob. I felt better knowing that someone would have to dismantle the porch to steal the box. :wink:

EDITED to ADD: And it looks much better. Neater and more permanent. And you can’t see it from the street which wouldn’t be the case with a door handle box.

2 Likes

Hi @Ellen… yes I do.

I don’t understand what you are saying.

I think @Helsi took my words as yours. But you were of course quoting me.

Verified ID hasn’t scared away my guests. I only have only used IB for a month or so and after a year and half without it and had plenty of booking. I will stop in April when it become busier.

I ask all guests about their plans and why they chose my place and have rarely had whether on IB or without, anyone who hasn’t provided the information. I explain the context particularly for new guests. If they don’t want to provide information absolutely their choice but I don’t want to have them in my home. My safety comes first and I don’t want the risk of bad guests. Not failsafe, but has worked so far.

I never correlated people behaving badly with arriving late @GutHend. I just said I wouldn’t do it. Nor would I let someone check in 24 hours earlier or bring someone who hadn’t booked into my place. All of these are red flags.

I provide accommodation for young people experiencing homelessness. Only one behaved in a way I didn’t find acceptable and he broke the contract we both sign (similar to Airbnb rules) . I called the charity and they arranged for him to be looked after elsewhere. I made sure I had someone come over to me when I did this. There are two of you I believe at your place and you mention various friends over to help, so I know it’s not necessarily easy but perfectly possible, particularly as they broke your house rules. So yes I have done this, but even if I hadn’t I am still allowed to comment on what I would do.

It’s often said on this and other forums, some hosts need to get a backbone and manage their Airbnb as the business that it is. This means sometimes you have to do things you would prefer not to do like working with Airbnb to cancel a booking when guests behave badly.

Sorry @EllenN I thought you asked about keys :frowning: …losing the plot :frowning:

I think your situation and experiences are very different than ours. I also believe that you didn’t totally grasp the situation. Putting it too black and white + simple thinking + undertone => I will not try to explain any further.

All praise for what you’re doing for those youngsters :+1: !

No worries everyone hosts differently I believe prevention is better than cure, so minimise the risk up front.

1 Like

I make code or key available. I also tell guests they can leave the door unlocked if they want, I’ll be home. None seem inclined to trust that. Sometimes the door is locked into the guest room sometimes it isn’t. If I leave the house and lock the door I give them a code to get in. Once they are in I give them a key option. Yes someone could duplicate the key but between me being home most of the time and the doorbell camera and the barking dog I think there are many softer and wealthier targets in my town.

2 Likes

Their
There
They’re

Really irks me, I need to get a life

2 Likes