Do you charge for late check outs, and how do you do it?

Air… Just had an enquiring guest ask for late check out as they had a late plane. I explained I couldn’t do it as it prevents me from renting the place that night. He could leave his bags in the carport though… I fully expected to lose the five-day booking over it…then he wrote back and just decided to book through the next day even though they were leaving that night! I told him his decision was wise and now he could enjoy another full day without rushing around or leaving bags outside. :slight_smile: win win :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s great Kona. Sometimes guests just need to be educated about how we lose a full day’s worth of income by allowing early check in or late check out.

2 Likes

I agree Cabin, I think most of just have a few rooms so we don’t have late check-out or early check-in flexibility that the large chains have. I think once the guests understand that it makes sense and they are OK with it. In Kona’s case, I may have offered them a discount for the extra night (after they booked the extra night), just to leave a good impression.

@konacoconutz We do it on a case by case basis, if it’s an hour or two and no one is checking in after, I’m usually fine with it. However, we have lots of people who book late flights out and want to stay to 5 or later, we have started telling them it will be the base nightly rate (we charge per person). So, far 3 groups have taken me up on the offer.

1 Like

We try to be as flexible as possible but do stress that if we have a same day check in/check out that we need to stick to our strict 11am out 3pm in rule.

We actually get more requests for early check ins that we do for later check out. I think this due to a lot of our guests coming from NA and the TA flights are often some of the earliest of the day.

We always state that if a guests wants to guarantee a late check out - or an early check in, then they need to book the night prior - and a few have done this to ensure an early check in. I can understand why nobody wants to get off a 10 hour flight and then have to hang around until 3pm until they can check in.

1 Like

You muss charge half day price…if not they can keep taking a shower. I am such guests from Thai, horrible…3 people.

If you have a YourWelcome tablet then you can charge the guests directly through it - check it out

I’ve had quite a few guests ask for late check out/early check in, and I have become very strict about it recently.

Airbnb provides insurance to all hosts whenever there is a guest staying with you. However, this insurance gets negated if their booking inquiry has an incorrect number of guests, and after your listed check-out time. My fear is that during a late check out, (if I’m not home, as I am often not) one of these guests will do some kind of damage that would not be covered by Airbnb’s insurance. Maybe it’s the Nervous Nellie in me, but I’m a full proponent of “better safe than sorry”.

1 Like

Um … no. You need to have your own insurance.

I’m in the US, and they provide insurance here. Only in 15 countries as of now. Perhaps yours isn’t one of them.
Here’s a link to the page where they explain it:
https://www.airbnb.com/host-protection-insurance

I hate to break it to you, but this insurance belongs to the same category as Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. I’ve seen several people post on here about how the insurance has saved them.

Either way, late check outs are annoying and disruptive to my life, and most of the time not worth doing. Using airbnb’s insurance as a “reason” to not allow late check out instead of saying, “I just don’t want to wait around for you to come back,” seems like a much more prudent way to break it to guests.

1 Like

So Airbnb paid them large amounts of money? Links appreciated.

From what it sounded like, yes. But I’m not going to search through all the hundreds of posts I just read to find links for you. They’re all on this forum, should you choose to search for them yourself.

1 Like

Hi faheem…just curious, what are the equivalents in India to Santa, Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny?

Except it’s a lie, a coward’s way out, and will confuse the guest adding to the idea that airbnb hosts are not dependable or professional. Just tell the truth.

I don’t really see it as a coward’s way out…especially because I really do have concern for something happening after their check out time. It’s not an unreasonable fear, and I don’t think it’s undependable or unprofessional to ask guests to respect the stated check in and out times.

How is not allowing late check out for the reasons I stated a coward’s way out?

Oh, no, sorry - I mean, telling your guests that the reason they can’t have late check-out (which is completely reasonable) is because of the airbnb insurance is negated after their check-out time - that’s not true. Or maybe I just misunderstand and don’t know what I’m talking about.

Dixie, regardless of whether you are covered by Air’s liability insurance (and btw Faheem, it isn’t at all the tooth fairy or Easter bunny, but an actual million dollar primary liability policy) your main issue is their lack of respect for your check out time. They don’t get to tell you that. You tell them. Sorry, my check out time is absolutely firm. Housecleaning will arrive promptly at —AM to begin cleaning so the place is ready for new guests. I wish I could allow more time but I just can’t. Respect for the check out time is required. Thank you.

Be more,firm. Leave no wiggle room. Even if I don’t have guests coming, I always say i do. As someone this morning stated… If they are not,gone by ten minutes after check out, I enter the apartment and start stripping the beds. Yeah!!!

1 Like

You dont need to give any explanation. They need to check out in time, its really up to you not them.

I am not terribly strict on check in check out times. If someone wants to check in early and i have room available, i dont mind. Same with check out. If there is noone coming after and its a slow season they can stay couple more hours. But not the whole day like one guest i had.
I had once British guy who literally spent 2 full days in my house for the price of 1. That was in a beginning, i would never agree to something like that again. He called after he booked around 8 am, asking if he can check in. I had room available, so i let him. He never left the house whole day, only went out to eat once. Then i did not have TV in guest’s room, so he stayed in a living room all day long watching TV. I tried direct him toward park across the road, no, he just stayed home glued to TV.
Then next day, he told me his flight is at 10 pm. So, can he stay till 7:30. I was already pissed by then, and told him that i have guests coming though i did not.He said, ok, you can get the room ready, i am going to stay in a living room anyway watching TV.
And so he did, all day long. He made himself coffee few times, talked to us all day when he saw us. Watched me cleaning the house, doing my every day things. Then he asked me if he can take a shower before his flight. I still cant believe that i let him.
Then he left me a review saying that there was not much to do in a neighborhood, and not many places to eat (8 restaurants 2 min.walk), park with a lake and excersize machines, bus across the street that goes straight to the beach in 10 minutes. Even Irish pub with live music that he was advised to go to but did not care.

1 Like