Catastrophic Loss due to Professional Criminal "Guests" - airbnb Denying $60k+ Damage Claim! Help!

This story sounds odd. Why file a claim through Airbnb? This was a crime and should have been handled as such. Do you loose legal rights if you host? I’m curious if Airbnb would turn over guest identification to authorities if asked. If this story is true, I’m sorry to hear it. I just have to question because the hotel industry has been doing some shady things to reduce the competition. And I notice this is your first post.

@Dwylene could you explain why it’s odd that a host would look to claim against the host guarantee? Claiming against my insurance would be a last resort as that will affect my future premiums and indeed my ability to get insurance moving forward.

1 Like

@Zandra This situation, as told, was not just damage to property, it was theft on the order of tens of thousands of dollars. I question why this was not turned over to the appropriate authorities. Airbnb collects and verify identification for hosts and guests for safety purposes, correct? Why was this info not used to track down this criminal?

1 Like

One of the first things the OP said was that they reported it to the police. Just because it’s reported to the police and a criminal investigation starts doesn’t mean you get your stuff back. Maybe you’ve never been a victim of crime but the police investigate/prosecute, Airbnb/ your insurers return the value of your stuff. @Dwylene

And the host guarantee is meant to cover you in cases of damage or theft. The reality is it often doesn’t as the OP has discovered.

1 Like

Well that is just terrifying! Guests can come into my home, vandalize, break into locked areas, steal and there is no personal responsibility on the guests? It’s the responsibility of insurance and airbnb?

How did you not know that? When my motorbike was stolen I reported it to the police and I claimed against my insurance. That’s how it’s always worked, since time began. If the criminals are caught and successfully prosecuted they will probably spend time in jail but getting your stuff back or recouping the money lost without insurance ? Good luck with that…

2 Likes

Odd that the OP has not come back…

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts!

And just to make clear where I am coming from… A local city council member in Washington DC recently introduced legislation to drastically reduce the amount of time a host can put their places up on air. 15 days max/ yr when the host is not on the property. Also virtually making it illegal to host full units claiming it takes affordable housing off the market. It was basically drafted by the local hotel lobbyists and undoubtedly came with promises of future political endorsements and funding.
I don’t doubt there are people here from the hotel industry using scare tactics to get hosts thinking they will be robbed without support from Air or the authorities.

Yes I’m sure it’s all a conspiracy orchestrated by the hotel lobby. Nevermind that my own experience with a much smaller item that ‘walked’ out of my house was the same.

They’re reading replies though :+1:t3:

1 Like

Just left a ABB in DC, full condo, and noticed the calendar is now completly blocked off. I was wondering if she was done as a host or what was up.

This seems like an argument for having home owner’s insurance which covers renting as an STR.

1 Like

It’s essential actually.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this, I am afraid like others have said you will need to highlight your case in the press so all those using the sharing economy are aware and also for Airbnb to compensate you. Unfortunately I have heard this scenario so many times, a lot of the Airbnb accounts are being hacked by criminals, so when someone sends you an enquiry you have to check whether their photos, phone numbers matches or has been changed and ask questions to establish whether they are the true owner of the account. Also you need to very careful if you are using Instant Book or taking last minute bookings as thats what the criminals are targeting. We have had lots of these same stories highlighted in the press in the UK and its extremely worrying for Hosts. I hope you manage to get a satisfactory result.

Hey @jrry are you able to give us an update?

1 Like

Last month I had a stolen identity instant book on VRBO while I was out of the country. VRBO was horrible to deal with on the issue and sent me multiple canned messages - and charged me fees. VRBO is the one that handled the payment processing. The “guests” finally left after I made multiple calls to the police - and drugs were seized from my home. Sadly the local police in my community (Tennessee) would not pursue changes against the group of drug dealers, for drug possession or criminal damage to property.

Sorry to hear about this Rod. Did the police find out the real identity of theives. And if so, is there a reason they refuse to pursue the criminal damage?

Wow! That is scary. We installed security cameras on the outside of our house which we can access from our iPhones anywhere in the world, mainly for when we travel overseas and also security for the guests. They are told when they check in. The guests like the idea of security. There are no cameras inside the house or on the balconyz

It’s often due to stretched resources. There are bigger priorities sadly.