Burgundy or White Sheets / Comforter?

I’m about 98% finished purchasing everything I need to make my home Vacation Rental Home-Ready.

It seems like around 75% of vacation rentals use white sheets/comforters on their beds.

I purchased Burgundy sheets/comforters and I do need to purchase an extra set of sheets/comforters so am wondering if in your opinion you think I should play it safe with white or the Burgundy looks good and will appeal to a wide variety of types of guests:

Here are images of my Burgundy Sheets / Comforters:

You can’t bleach burgundy.
I’d do white.

1 Like

Darker the better. Hides stains and you won’t choke to death on all that bleach. I use dark navy blue and very dark chocolate brown. No problems

I like your burgundy – wouldn’t fit our tropical beach theme, but I like it ! We use medium blue, and gray sheet sets

I personally like white or light. I do have some printed sheets but they are very light colored. I don’t like the idea of hiding something with a dark color and this just seems dark and heavy to me. And though dark might hide stains, once they get something that bleaches them like certain face scrubs there is nothing you can do about it. Treating stains and marks on dark colors is much harder.

3 Likes

I had some deep coloured linens, had to take them out as they were ruined by white stains, some facial cream. I’d keep the darker comforters, but get white sheets. Tip, a contrasting colour pillow sham will make your room look brighter and more inviting.
I’d suggest an end table and lamp on either side of the beds.

3 Likes

I personally prefer 100% white cotton sheets, but for guests I have the dark colors that don’t really hide stains. It just means I don’t have to use extra chemicals (bleach, etc.) to keep white sheets white. There’s nothing worse than that dingy sorta yellowy color they get.

1 Like

With our water here in MA, whites do not get yellowy. That is all about the minerals/hardness of your water. I have yet to need an bleach on my sheets and I have been sleeping on white sheets for about 25 years. [Dallas was another story, and not a nice one.]

1 Like

Mrs. Stewart’s liquid bluing works wonders for whitening whites. I highly recommend it!

I started with all white sheets, but went to light blue paisley sheets and a white duvet or white lightweight down blanket. The white sheets gave me some cleaning fits, and I just seem to be less stressed with the patterned ones. To me, dark everything kind of weighs a room down and guests might feel subconsciously that things aren’t totally clean.

6 Likes

If they aren’t 100% cotton then they won’t yellow. And I can’t do polyester blend. I know. I’m a cotton snob :)))

2 Likes

Too bad. I only use 100% cotton and don’t get yellowing. Lucky me!

It’s your water! :))))

Will adding baking soda to the wash prevent the yellowing?

I think it might help. Borax is supposed to be good too. Marth Stewart says boil whites with lemon juice. Too much work! The best thing is to hang them out in the sun. That really gets them white but not everyone has a clothes line available plus lots of sun.

2 Likes

To my eyes, the burgundy doesn’t really harmonize with the color of the walls or the carpet. And the red pillows are not the same color as the burgundy. (By the way, I have the same color walls in my house upstairs for the public areas, so I like the color of the walls. I just don’t like it with the burgundy.)
White sheets and comforters go with everything.

I just found white is easier to clean by using whiteners ect. The real issues with colored bedding is it becomes discolored from guest lotions and their is no cleaning that.

1 Like

I just love sleeping on crisp, white sheets. Why? Can’t tell you. I was raised with “boring” white sheets. I bought colorful sheets in my 20’s and 30’s. Marimekko, Laura Ashley, country flannel, and one by one, they faded. They were no longer in style. I went back to white and that is where I have stayed. Now, the quality of the white sheets have improved over the years but they never need to be replaced because you moved and your bedroom has different wall colors!

3 Likes

I have to agree. I like white sheets. But I really don’t mind any color if it’s 100% cotton. And the best thing is sleeping on line-dried sheets–wrinkles and crispness included! That smell is the best.

1 Like

Alright so I’ve gotten some mixed opinions so here is a bit of a compromise. Do you prefer the image at the bottom that has white sheets and the burgundy comforter over the previous sheets I had?

Here is an image of the previous sheets:

And here is an image with white sheets instead:

Definitely the white sheets just seem cleaner and fresher to me.
I only use white.

1 Like