Type of guest to avoid?

Euphoria,

In my personal opinion the “Star rating” is a foggy area as is the concept of Home sharing for many.

I think that younger people are growing up with many new concepts and are more flexible with the adaptation and the concept of Home sharing. I worked in Travel Industry for almost forty years.
Bed and Breakfast even than was mostly appreciated by well traveled Travelers that were looking for adventure and experience and that personal touch that they could not find at a Hilton or Sheraton.
If they spent time on a farm in Argentina they did not complain if they stepped on cow manure, but remembered that fine Cabernet that the Host shared with them.
I think it will take time for Guest as well as for us Host to
fully embrace and adapt to changes taking place. Happy Hosting!

1 Like

I have had 3 guests over 70 …one a 73 year old woman who was the picture of health and a Christian Scientist. When they booked, I warned them of everything I could think of and when they didn’t back down I let them stay and they were great. It was all a matter of preparing them to expect the worst. I do the same thing to other guests when I see they are new to AirBnB and from their behavior are acting like they think it’s going to be a professional BnB…then give them the chance to cancel or else I encourage them to book elsewhere. I have actually managed to persuade at least 5 guests from not booking here or else cancelling in advance for a full refund. I sometimes kick myself for this behavior but I’d rather people be happily surprised then unhappily disappointed.

Interestingly, only today I saw a listing in a terrifically located city condo that actually said Sorry, we don’t book to anyone over 40, because this is a shared space. I think they should probably not say that in their ad, although they could personally decline anyone they wanted.

In my opinion, the worst guests are the least informedt. This is the case whether they are 20 years old or over 50.

10 Likes

I prefer people who rent just a few nights over people who want to stay longer. Why do you think people who only want a few nights are red flags?

2 Likes

How about email them and ask for constructive comment on their star rating? There might be something you could fix. Or possibly it will give those guests something to consider next time they rate someone. Tell them that their rating has impacted your business and you’d like to know what they think you could have done better.

My post was destructive? I was simply stating my style and philosophy. How is that destructive? I have a point of view that is different from some others and I’m sharing it. I thought that’s what this forum is about. Why ask a question if you’re not interested in differing points of view?

2 Likes

So far no problems with seniors but yes I notice they give glowing reviews but still knock a couple stars off!?! Wtf…I agree I love young people , they don’t even use the kitchen as they eat most meals out and they are on the go all the time.

No Stephanie, not your post. It is Beach Guy that i meant.

We all have our own opinions and this Forum is exactly for that, but that does not mean he can speak in fashion that pushes people away from this forum, that is all.

1 Like

No one is against people over 50. Every age group with little exclusions have their traits . Young people party more than old. It’s a fact. Older people are in need of more comfort than young, that’s why more demands. Young have enough energy to be out all day, then short break and party all night. I don’t know anyone over the age of 50 who can survive this kind of vacation.
My guests 90% were very young and gave me 5* star reviews without asking anything, the rest who were middle aged were not generous with their reviews at all, and one couple after finding 2 dead termites ( harmless tiny bugs in tropical climate that sometimes fly inside the house during their season) on a
floor cancelled their stay after first night.
I am sure there are plenty of over 50 people who are adapting as well as youth to any environment and stay as positive as youth no matter what. It was just not my experience.

3 Likes

Beach Guy, I myself have green hair as you said, but i do find many of my generation peers rigid and set in stone, for good or bed, it does not matter.
Example i have a friend, she refuses to have computer at her home and prefers to mail her payments, so to avoid identity theft. She uses cell phone do, and does not realize that she is lucky to see same Bank teller for more than few months at the time.
It is what it is: we are more rigid than younger generation, starting with our bones and thinning hair. But hey better that than looking daisies from bottom up.

Have a sunny Sunday and lets stay friends! :grinning:

2 Likes

Update: I actually talked to the guest on the phone after because she was a local whom needed a place to bridge a night between moving. I went for the positioning of “asking for feedback”. her only negative feedback is to add more art to the space. In my head I was like …“ok, good reco but what’s that have to do with lowered rating”. Talked for 20 min about everything and she said it was a great exp etc and wouldn’t mind calling airbnb to make the adjustment. so far, nothing has happened.

What I don’t get with them is why say it was a great experience and leave 4 stars…

To the folks who are over 50, we are generalizing here. of course there are always early adapters. Mark Cuban a leading mind in tech is probably 50 now, we are just referring to the frustration of not seeing the effort and praise in review reflected in star rating.

like you can do everything, give them water, offer beer, provide chocolate, card, listen to them complain, offer to take the bags up, get high praise in private post saying “you are great!”. and in the end, 4 star in overall and 3 star in accuracy.

WTF

3 Likes

I think you’ve answered your own question euphoria. This age group loves interaction. I always make a point of interacting and giving that extra little bit to my older guests. Somebody on this forum called it “southern beauty queen” hospitality. So be it! It’s not hard and it’s not rocket science. But there is one thing you’ll have to work on. People my age can sense insincerity like fecal stink.

1 Like

For some people it is hard to interact a lot. After I come home from work where I talk all day to people, the last thing I want to do is talk again. That’s the beauty with younger crowd. They don’t need you, all they want is a place to crash. They have their own friends to hang out with.

2 Likes

More art? She has no saying on how to decorate your appartment. Can’t believe it, what if you don’t like art on your walls?

1 Like

Have found the opposite. The old folks seem delighted to see what they get for just $79 plus tax (low season) and have been hands down my best guests. The younger ones can be good too but generally expect more and leave things less clean.

2 Likes

Surprised about the Korean not understanding the subway card, since her entire country is served by THE best subway in the world, IMO. As for your guests from Hungary and Belarus, wish I had that kind of guest more often!

1 Like

Well, the guest was young and very pretty, and I suspect she learned the convenience of not understanding at a young age. But she was delightful and it really was fun to help her. ; )

1 Like

Wow, I can not believe the ageist attitude I am reading here. And yes, amazingly I can still read and find my way around a computer and google. I am not only a host but also a very seasoned traveler, and will make note of where and who not to stay with on my travels from what I have read above. The last thing I want as a guest is some host to treat me like I am feeble, infirmed and have not been out in the world since electricity was invented. But just because of this crappy attitude from some younger hosts, when I am making my requests I make sure to tell them my age, and those of my traveling companions, to make sure I do not make them uncomfortable. I wouldn’t want a host to stay awake at night worrying about my bones breaking while I slept in their guest room.
To add to this, the damage that has occured on my houses from guests have ALL been from younger guests in their 20’s, and that has held true for the past 10 years. But I don’t discriminate against 20 somethings because of that. Maybe you all should take some time for introspection and really look at why someone who has been around the block once or twice bothers you so.

10 Likes

Fyi i mentioned age and i am a 64 year old host. Older tends to be pissy and persickety, imho. I will not turn away anyone and will not judge, but in the contextbof this forum i do say that age makes a difference in how the guest sees air bnb…

3 Likes

Stephanie, on the second thought as a Veterinarian, i hope some of your patients will read your comments here.

Talking about sincerity, ha. You as a Vet should give advise to someone that had more than one cat, instead of criticizing them, so people see only one option, get w rid of cats, kick them out, put them in shelter where they could be put to sleep. What a VET!
What an advise!

As for the other poster on this forum a Bully is a Bully.

I came to this forum to find constructive ways in how to be an effective Host and see what other Host are experiencing. I have seen few Host leave this Forum since they felt insulted, made feel as if they should not be a Host, so that few can shine and inflate their egos even more.
I promise this is my last comment.

1 Like

Beach Guy, you have a way to push my buttons.

As for one i am not talking about me, but the difference between you and me is that i love to teach and not preach and make oneself above the others.

That is why we have schools, but unfortunately we have teachers of your caliber, and that is why we rank in education compared to other countries the way we do.

Your way of talking: is put downs and as for your humor once it is on your account, than i will laugh!

If you want to do something good for other Host first learn how to talk to them instead of insulting them.
Few years earlier i would have left this Forum without saying anything, but with my Green Hair and funny bones in my nose as you describe, i could care less.

Grow up, there is still time.