Thrown off for absurd violation?

They re-did my photos to make work on site. They personally added the once I had issue with to the listing. And did all this in 10 minutes. That’s more love then I ever got from Airbnb. There email to me today made it sound like I should thank god there going to actually pay out on last 7 bookings

What are the terms for Homeaway Colombia?

List for free with 0% commission? What are they charging the guests?

In the U.S. they charge the host 3% credit card processing, 5% commission, and they take up to 12% from guests.

Define multiple listings? We’ve 8 listings at our B&B on the Navajo nation. I think far removed from any city complaint of housing crunch, etc.

1 Like

I think it’s just a promotion, but I’ll take 0% as long as they go with it. There really trying to play catch up to airbnb. They had the market and they let it get away from them. Maybe it will eventually go to 10% to me and a service charge to the renter. I run a analytic after we receive a booking. I just posted up yesterday. Ill let you know. But they been super helpful. They even fixed and posted problematic old photos I had that didn’t fit there min.

No no… I am talking about over 20…one host here who got temporarily removed had 72!

1 Like

This is what tripped me up. The large photos. They have a minimum size.

find a rep and ask for help with the photos. They are really hungry now that expedia is the parent company. And so far really helpful. Posting for free is a great incentive.

And your rates may even be a bit different. I know the integrated property managers sometimes have different rules and it seems they prefer to work with them versus the individual property owner.

Who knows? Maybe this will work out to be a blessing in disguise for you :slight_smile:

I had a lesbian couple stay at mine recently. I only knew because the booker described picking up her partner from the airport first, and two women turned up. Not the first same sex couple I’ve hosted and not an issue. When they left though they were the first guests who made no effort to clean up even leaving half filled cups of coffee on the coffee table. They had even left the house manual open on the page of rules which says: “clean and tidy up, take out rubbish, wash dishes and cups etc and put them away before leaving”. So they were just basically sticking their middle finger up at me for no apparent reason. Apart from briefly meeting them at the beginning I hadn’t run into them (I live upstairs).

So I let them have it in the review, not, of course mentioning their sexuality. The first people ever I said I wouldn’t recommend for other hosts. All her other reviews were good and I had extended them an extra hour to leave. She gave me a 5 star review but said she thought the front yard would be private. I play there with my dog for about 15 mins a day and (like most hosts) put up plenty of info and photos so people can decide. I even have one of my rules says : “You have read the listing thoroughly and based on the photos and description agree that is suitable for your needs”.

Anyway I was worried that they might complain to AirBnB that I discriminated against them as they were gay. So in “Things you want to tell AirBnB alone” I reiterated why they were bad guests and said I knew they were a lesbian couple and that if they complained I was discriminating then take into account:

1. my listing says LGBT gay friendly, and
  2. I have had other gay couples stay who I gave 5 star reviews to
  3. Oh, and by the way, I am gay! (though it doesn’t say that anywhere).

Was just covering myself upfront in case they played the victim card.

2 Likes

Really just a loop hole 4 straight men used to get even with me for not wanting 8 people in a 2 bedroom condo. What’s wrong here is any guest can use this and in almost every case you might be removed. There is not one shred of anti anyone by me. My only issue is that I don’t want this many people in our condo. Airbnb in my opinion haven’t acted right with us for over a year now. In September we had airbnb renters have a underage girl at the apartment the police came. They were rude to the police. They sealed the building for two weeks. Airbnb made a lot of promises to help us with legal bills and everything else. In the end all they did was say sorry several times. Seem caring over the phone but nothing more then the payout was paid to us sooner then usual. No help with lawyer bills. No help with loss bookings. To add insult to injury, they allowed these guests to leave a review. Even though they were out before 1am. If we were truly racist you think in 6 years this would have come up. We have some great reviews. Not all but when dealing with this amount of people your never going to please the world. It’s going to hurt today we were pretty quiet. On top of everything else we allowed there last week renters all who have left by the 22nd or before and still have not been paid on the 7 although there last email assured me were both going to be paid and not be allowed back. There hiding behind emails. Not even getting another side of the story all don’t sit to well. And yes we have plenty of gay and lesbian guests. They were all neither any better then anyone else or any worse. They were human.

2 Likes

What an interesting conversation, and Barry, I’m really sorry to hear about your situation.

Not to digress too much from the main topic, but there seems to be conflicting opinions about Airbnb’s policy towards property managers / vacation rental management companies (VRMCs).

My personal observation is that they do not have anything specifically against VRMCs, but they are working more and more with cities to make sure hosts follow local laws.

VRMCs have been around long before Airbnb. Many rich people have a second vacation home and don’t want to deal with renting it out when they are not staying there, so they give it to a professional to do all the work for them. There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself. On the contrary, it is an important part of the economy for many tourist destinations such as Lake Tahoe or the Jersey Shore, for example.

Airbnb is actively trying to be more “VRMC friendly” and recruit more VRMCs to list on their platform (many still just list on HomeAway and VRBO, or their own website, for example). Two specific examples to back this up: 1) Airbnb had a booth at the annual Vacation Rental Managers Association (VRMA) in Phoenix last year, where they were actively recruiting VRMCs to use their platform, and 2) At the Airbnb Open in Los Angeles, they had multiple sessions aimed specifically for VRMCs, including some roundtable discussions where Airbnb employees were asking questions and taking notes about things they can do to make it easier for VRMCs to list on Airbnb

HOWEVER, Where it gets tricky is places like San Francisco where it’s illegal to rent out a home that you don’t actually live in full-time. That’s where Airbnb starts to crack down. Not because they have something against VRMCs, but because the VRMC is likely a “commercial operator” managing illegal (for that specific city) listings. That’s where they came up with the “One Home One Host” policy, but, again, that is not an across-the-board policy…they only implement it in certain cities like San Francisco, New York, and Portland. I have not seen anything about this policy being implemented in Colombia, so I don’t think Barry’s situation has to do with him being a VRMC.

Anyway, I hope this helps clarify the situation for some people.

3 Likes

In my case we don’t have those issues here that your speaking about that a lot of US cities has. This is about Years of just arguing with them I feel. When renters act horrible and we call them on it. Or have to remove them. Or they didn’t pay us and I have to track down a payment they claim was sent to PayPal that was never sent. And they just keep saying it was sent to PayPal until I add them to a 3 way call and they confirm they never received. The list goes on and on. And it would for anyone when you have this many years and this many people. I guess there just tired of me. It’s a shame because 90% of my experiences with everyone associated with this company were genuinely good. All I’m saying is it can happen to any host. For any argument with a tenant. They can tell Airbnb. We saw ants, mice, bugs. And you can be where I am now in Airbnb limbo. And I’m not making this up. I have several friends who were delisted for this above. The guests never failed to say there were absolute slobs. Eating in bed even. 11 days past our last check in from them and still not paid. wonderfully handled.

1 Like

I’ve actually heard of people simply re-listing and moving forward that way. Hope you’ve got some satisfaction since this debacle.

1 Like

I tried to let a friend list some. They have either the address or photos in there system. By the time my friend listed the 4th apartment he was blocked.

Have you tried altering the address a bit if you can e.g. 91 become 91a

How long would it last before someone reported address as different to Airbnb. Or they couldn’t find it and called Airbnb. Then what chance would I have to be able to come back. I think the guy has a hard on for me. My photos are a dead give away. I’m sure he would search and see our deck and know I’m back on. I got to ride this out and hope they have a change of heart. Not to mention taxes and answering emails it has to be me on my account. Or nothing. But thank you kristy. I tried to sneak on three times. I give up.

2 Likes

Agree altering your address slightly is only a recipe for further disaster.

It’s really strange that AirBnB keeps delisting certain addresses, while the “supposed problem” they have is with you and not with the properties themselves.
I would let your friend, who’s (supposed) listings got delisted, call AirBnB and ask why they delisted. Have him tell them his company took over the management since their apparently were problems with the former management. Let him act a bit naive and a bit offended: “I have nothing to do with the former management company, I got asked by the property owners to manage their property. Why are you refusing me. I want to offer a great service, much better than before, that will make AirBnB proud.”

Of course you will also have to change things like the bankaccount. There shouldn’t be anything left that AirBnB can trace back to you.

5 Likes

Perfect. Thank you. Done and done. I have given up control. And just deal with other aspects of the company.

Does this mean you have you been able to get back into business?

2 Likes