Thrown off for absurd violation?

Unfortunately this may not be enough. I’ve read more horror stories about this. :cry:

1 Like

@Barry_Brachfeld I suspect part of your problem is communication off the Airbnb platform which has given your guests an opening to claim you have unfairly discriminated against them. Though to be honest I doubt anything would have stopped them with this fabrication…

I would exhort all hosts to be careful with communicating with guests off platform.

1 Like

I agree with @konacoconutz, @SweetDreams - it does seem rather strange that a guest is frequenting a forum that is designed for and made up of hosts.

If you want to know how Airbnb works from a hosts prospective including how cancellations work - why not have a look at the Airbnb Help section.

We shouldn’t be so critical maybe they’re thinking of being a host in the near future. This forum is good resource.

1 Like

It is, but Helsi is right. A good place to start for brand new hosts for answers to the most basic questions is Air’s FAQ for hosting.

What is the current cancellation policy for instant books? Is it you can cancel 3 in a year, or is it you can cancel as often as you want if the guest is indicating they are likely to break the rules?

If it’s the latter then I don’t follow why you paid any kind of fine. But I don’t think IB is the issue.

If these people truly made up a story (any idea if they are even gay at all) then they would do the same with a booking request.

I read this advice all the time but I don’t see how you can enforce it. If a guest doesn’t have the Airbnb app and calls or texts you, how can you keep communication on the app? I guess you could ask them to only communicate through the app but some guests will just say “I don’t have access to that while I’m traveling” or will be older and not tech savvy. Is it truly that dangerous to have a text message convo which you can screenshot instead of on the app? I’m asking sincerely.

1 Like

I have never had a guest who didn’t use the AirBNB app. I don’t know if they were using phones or a laptop. I don’t ever text them and in return, they don’t either. And I have a fair share on non-tech savvy guests.

2 Likes

I believe it’s 3 free cancels per 6 months. Your better off with IB off. They aren’t allowing us back on. But they decided to actually pay us. How nice of them.

Charlie, Feb 24, 11:42 CST:
Hello Barry,

The following reservation payouts have been released:

JCXJ4F (Michael)
AWCBTQ (Samuel)
MBKXCS (David)
8KQEFQ (Shawn)
ADCBWP (Leonard)
ZQWF88 (Luiz)
WMJBRD (Daniel)
PNQH8K (Christian)

The decision made regarding your account will remain.

Best,

Charlie
www.airbnb.com/help

1 Like

I don’t have the app. Once a guest books with me I immediately ask for their email address. From then on out I only communicate through my personal email until day of check in.

The morning of check in day…until they checkout all communication is done by text.

If Air didn’t use other forms of communication as evidence, then they would just dismiss what was supposedly said in the OP’s phone call with his vindictive guests.

I think the Air platform is just simplest for the reps. to refer to if there happens to be a dispute - then it helps them to be able to scroll through all the correspondence.

2 Likes

I definitely communicate through the Airbnb app when possible, but sometimes guests just won’t communicate that way. Good point about OP.

Per @cabinhost :

“I don’t have the app. Once a guest books with me I immediately ask for their email address. From then on out I only communicate through my personal email until day of check in.”

Ditto! Easier access, readability and functioning when in my own email, and faster than dealing with the Dashboard’s sluggish messaging system and narrow format.

2 Likes

A guest doesn’t need to use the app on their phones. They obviously can use the internet via their iPads or laptops or they wouldn’t have been able book in the first place. I’ve never had a guest who hasn’t been able to communicate on the platform.

As for “older and not tech savvy”, I find that it’s guests who are mid twenties to mid thirties who are the least ‘tech savvy’. Teenagers are mildly better, especially when using the app.

A guest who insists on a different method of communication that the Airbnb email system is a red flag to me. I have had two insist on phone calls. One wanted to ask a zillion questions to make sure that our property exactly satisfied her. She then brought an extra guest who made a huge mess in our kitchen (and was disappointed that we didn’t have a Vitamix which is a $400.00 - $600.00 blender) and never paid for the extra guest. After all this extra attention, she left us less than four stars in many categories. The other guest who insisted on a phone call was booking for her daughter. I asked if her daughter was comfortable with large dogs. The answer was no. The guest literally screamed at me repeatedly that I should cancel the reservation despite the penalties because, “That’s customer service.” After those experiences, when guests want to phone or text us before they arrive, I tell them that it’s better for all concerned to keep communication on the Airbnb email system.

3 Likes

That’s insane and that is at just one location. I get about 3-5 of these types a week. I have people who spell out there number to me in spanish and then want to go inspect the place before they book it. They also expect us not to let anyone else book it until they make up there mind while there probably shopping us around to other properties. Peoples expectations are now on airbnb almost like a hotel. The guest asked me who do I have available to carry up her suitcase? Can we stay until our flight at 8pm? Can you store our bags somewhere. These are all by definition things a hotel does. I had a guy just last night call me at 1am. I said whats the emergency. He said I’m here. I said your reservation starts at 1pm not 1am. He said well I’m early. I said we will see you tomorrow. Before you say it I know I should turn off phone but sometimes we have complete emergencies in middle of the night. Everyone however things the job is easy.

2 Likes

I just haven’t found that to be the case in my experience. Many of my guests just don’t have the app on their phone and prefer to text.

Is there scope to create a new listing, under a new name? It doesn’t get back all your lost bookings, but could get the ball rolling again.

I’m flagged. Either the photos, or address, my wife tried. By time she listed the 4th property we got a ACCOUNT SUSPENDED screen. Anyone who has tried to list on our behalf as been blocked as well. It’s ok. We getting some love from homeaway.

3 Likes

@Barry_Brachfeld

Yeah, HomeAway. Absolute love fest over there. Check it out.
https://community.homeaway.com/welcome

1 Like

Lol!

No amount of threads about silly contests and planting spring flowers is going to change anything. But I guess as long as HA owners keep walking around with blinders on…then HA will keep just keep on strangling tighter and tighter.