Request identity documents for check-in

I’m sorry I wouldn’t know if a short term rental insurance company in Belgium…

But you have to let your insurance company know that you’re renting short term so they don’t refuse any claims.

Ok no worries…
I’ve got my broker on the case so should get something sorted shortly.
Cheers!

YIKES… before you do this… make sure it’s not the standard US homeowners policy!!! They will cancel you for even asking. We found one called comet.com. Seems really wonderful… and affordable!

1 Like

mbishara point on the short term vs. long term change over occurs in about 40 of 50 states. There are some that are 21 days or 4 weeks or 30 days, but they all have the same outcome. I specifically state I don’t accept rentals over 16 days or back-to-back rentals, meaning the guest must vacate the house for 24 hours before I will accept another rental period. I have remote locks I cancel out the current guest code after the end of checkout and it is in the log. This is explained in the agreement. Every AirBnB host should know the exact number of days before someone becomes a long-term rental in their state or municipality!

I asked Airbnb before I started hosting because I also need an ID copy (only one per stay). They advised to write it into the house rules.

If you have it in the house rules and somebody refuses, you can evict him without penalty.

I have had no problems so far. No one ever complained about giving an ID copy, it’s just normal. I have a printer/scanner/copier in the apartment. At check-in, I copy the ID (local ID, passport, drivers license or any other picture ID), and that’s it.

No problems at all, no big deal.

Ha! Last year I had an Airbnb host book my place in order to upsell it on her own rental platform. She claimed she was coming into town to photograph a friend’s wedding but that was a lie. She stole all my photos and uploaded them onto her own platform and tried to cram every bed in place with folks not registered with Airbnb. SHE demands a copy of a passport or license to rent her place … After all, she knows how many liars are out there.

True. Better to shop around before communicating with your present insurer. Very good point.

1 Like

Hi @Tomdxb,

Can you tell me what wording you used? I just had a guest who is now making difficulties about letting me make a copy of his ID. I forgot to take it at check-in. I do so with all guests. It’s never been an issue before. And it’s standard practice in India, though I don’t know whether it’s actually legally required of me. But I certainly feel more comfortable doing so.

My own wording is not very explicit, and it’s not in the house rules. So I’m considering whether I should add something about this to the house rules. I have the following in “Other things to note”:

The Indian Govt’s Bureau of Immigration (under the Ministry of Home Affairs) requires that people hosting foreigners submit information in a Form C, see (URL HIDDEN) You could also search for “form c foreigner” for further information. I apologise for the inconvenience. However, I’ll have to ask you for passport and travel information on check in. See also Responsible hosting in India - Airbnb Help Centre (General Regulations → Registration of Guests)

Indian citizens need to submit photo and address ids on check in. Alternatively, just an Indian passport will do.

Obviously if they won’t cooperate with your requirements, I would leave them a bad review.

I think it’s probably “ok” to ask to see their ID’s, but… if you were to take copies, that’s not okay.

That said, I would not book a listing that required me to provide any additional items such as that. They are already giving their information to Airbnb, to request that information again… sorry, that would deter me.

In some countries/cities, this is a legal requirement.

I’m intrigued by this statement … I’ve stayed in Paris several times most recently a few months ago and wasn’t asked for copies of ID. I’ve travelled to a lot of places and never been asked; I assume it’s a legal requirement where you are so what do you do with the copies? I assume you have to give them to someone?

Yes, it is. I upload them to the Tourism Department.

And where are you hosting ?

Dubai

(Post must at least have 20 characters)

Yes that would strike me as the type of place where they’d want that information … anyone with half a brain would get that and wouldn’t quibble. It’s where hosts are asking for it just because that feels like an imposition …

Do you have a process for handling and destroying the information once it’s uploaded?

Hello @mbishara,

This seems like something I should do myself as a host! Could you possibly share the rest of the Agreement? I could PM you my e-mail address.

Also, how to you sned this to guests? I thought we could not send links or e-mails addresses via the Airbnb platform.

Best regards
Barbara

This is completely ridiculous question. You’re not allowed to scan, copy, storing or putting in distribution any kind of ID. AIRBNB working with JUMIO. JUMIO checking documents (I worked with them on my hotel system) and they are checking documents after scanning with their extremely intelligent system. I just saw how someone said here “How I will check and validate some document” - You won’t. JUMIO validated everything. Honestly, I put a simple question on my TWITTER - Would you allow someone to scan or copy your ID and PASSPORT after AIRBNB verification. 90% people said NO ! So, stop with your own personal rules and accept AIRBNB terms and conditions or delete yourself from there. If anyone trying to copy or scan your ID or PASSPORT after your coming to AIRBNB, guys feel free to inform local police about that.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section27

Section 27: Register; entry of names; condition precedent to occupancy; retention; inspection; penalty

Section 27. Every innholder, and every lodging house keeper required so to do under section twenty-eight, and every person who shall conduct, control, manage or operate, directly or indirectly, any recreational camp, overnight camp or cabin, motel or manufactured housing community shall keep or cause to be kept, in permanent form, a register in which shall be recorded the true name or name in ordinary use and the residence of every person engaging or occupying a private room averaging less than four hundred square feet floor area, excepting a private dining room not containing a bed or couch, or opening into a room containing a bed or couch, for any period of the day or night in any part of the premises controlled by the licensee, together with a true and accurate record of the room assigned to such person and of the day and hour when such room is assigned. The entry of the names of the person engaging a room and of the occupants of said room shall be made by said person engaging said room or by an occupant thereof, except that when five or more members of a business, fraternal, or social group or other group having a common interest are engaging rooms, they may designate one person to make said entry on their behalf and prior to occupancy. Until the entry of such name and the record of the room has been made, such person shall not be allowed to occupy privately any room upon the licensed premises. Such register shall be retained by the holder of the license for a period of at least one year after the date of the last entry therein, and shall be open to the inspection of the licensing authorities, their agents and the police. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred nor more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than three months, or both.

1 Like

But are you a lodging housekeeper or innkeeper? I can see that this legislation applies to those catergories of people… of it applies to you as an Airbnb host then does all other legislation around innkeeping and providing lodging also apply to your accommodation?

I’d be careful with this one because it seems to me to be a highly complicated affair. My expectation is that you don’t want to be seen legally as an innkeeper etc so I wouldn’t do some things that apply and then feign ignorance about the rest. There is likely a whole raft of legislation and taxation that innkeepers comply with; are you sure you want to take that on? @Como

Me, I’m a private individual who happens to share a room with guests. These people are guests in my home. As, I don’t even try to meet the same legislative requirements that govern b&b businesses.