Please settle the matter. Deadline for review

Hence the experiment !

If it is public in 15 minutes: check-out time theory works.
If it is public 14 days after the created_at field: the 1 209 600 seconds works.
If it is still public after that still: the midnight theory works

Hopefully, there won’t be any 4th theory in between :smiley:

1 Like

YES!!! This came directly from an Air rep! But we all know they can be wrong and will say anything to get you off the phone. It did work however!

Did you specify a check-out time on your listing at that time?

Past check-out time, both hosts reviews can still be edited. No change on the guest’s side: the review waiting to be published is still embargoed.

Yep… That is why I don’t think it is really check out time. Yes. I do have a check out time, and did at that time.

1 Like

The review referenced above can no longer be edited, 1 209 600 seconds from the moment of its creation (which is impossible to actually plan without additional info). The matching review has been immediately published.

For me, the matter is settled. I have to change my code, but this means my “sneak attack” mode can now very precisely send a message 9 seconds before the expiration time.

So it IS the checkout time? For both host and guest?

What this show is that it is impossible to reliably predict from the customer service or the host. Only the system can know for sure.

The review is created at a certain point of time (that starts, maybe, at the check-out time but there can be a significant delay depending on the number of reviews to create on that day and time).

Then, you add 14 days * 24 hours * 2600 seconds and you know down to the second when the review expires. After that time, the review has expired and the guest review, if applicable, will be immediately made public.

The best approximation for the host is to add that time to the moment you receive the email from Airbnb to inform you. As @cabinhost rightfully said, this is subject to email issues.

The same also applied for another review which was created at at :39. It expired at the exact second it was planned following the method above.

Well, I guess I’m just another host who got bad info from Air on this matter. After smart’s findings, by my calculation, my review period expires at 11:40 tomorrow–not today.

My first Air email re reviewing arrived at 11:40 the day of check out. The 2-day warning review email arrived at 11:40 12 days later. The Air rep said that the review period expired on day 13 (yeah, that makes no sense) at 11:00 am which is our check out time. This even conflicted with their 2-day email that said we’d be unable to review after 10/15 (day 14).

So now I’ve prematurely posted my negative review giving the guest plenty of time to post theirs. Boo.

1 Like

I think the host wants to leave a negative review and not have the guest leave any review. It makes a big difference because no review is not a negative review. Sometimes folks who were not going to leave a review, leave one once they know that you have and the second they do they can read it.

1 Like

There was obviously a typo in this earlier message: “Then, you add 14 days * 24 hours * 3600 seconds:confounded:.

This party girl guest… do you have a name? Number? Any photos??

PM me. I won’t post her full photo and info in public.

I wasn’t being serious :slight_smile: :wink:

I just thought a ‘Party Girl’ might lighten the mood after such a long and mentally taxing thread…

1 Like

@smartbnb.io Hi Smart … I checked your finding, and it does not appear to be true in my case. I checked the time stamp of the email about creation of a review. Given below are the details

1. Email about creation of review : September 14, 2018, 04:48 hrs, Eastern Time
  2. Email about 2 days left for review : September 25, 2018, 04:48 hrs, Eastern Time

So, as per your finding, my “Write Review” should have disappeared at Sept 27, 2018, 04:48 hrs, Eastern Time. BUT it hasn’t yet and its 01:48 hrs Eastern Time on Sept 28, 2018. Has anything changed?

Hi there!

One of the things that is definitely not changing is that the reviews are opened for 14 days, ie, for 1,209,600 seconds.

If you add 14 days to the creation of the review, you will arrive at September 28, 04:48 ET, which is the time when the review will expire.

So your review will expire on September 28, 14 days exactly after the review was created.

2 Likes

I suspect the “2 days left” is just AirBnB trying to push you to do something. If they send the email out at 72 hours before the review period ends, you will have less than three full days by the time you read it - so they call it two days. If they call it three days, last-minute people woyld miss the deadline.

Hey Pierre! I haven’t seen you here for ages. (Okay, I might have missed your posts?) Good to hear from you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have spoken to Air about this and confirm that the following is correct. Your time to review is exactly 14 days from your check out time. In my case this is 11am, so if I think I am going to get a poor review I put in my google calendar to do the review at 11am on the 14th day. I get a reminder at 10.50 and I write the review. If the guest has already written their’s then I post my review at this time and if their’s is negative then hopefully in the last 2 weeks I will have had some positive ones and this one will be a few down in the list.

If they haven’t written their review I sit on the laptop, when the clock turns 10.59 I post my review. So far it has worked every time, in as much as no one has reviewed me in the less than 60 seconds they have got to do it.

1 Like