New to this, lets see what happens

Hi there,
Well after a year of completely renovating a house at Koroit in Victoria, I have finally listed the property on Airbnb. If anyone has a chance could they have a look at my listing called Rosscos place and provide any positive or negative feedback please. I think that I have it right but again this is my first attempt, I am sure that I have missed something.
I would appreciate your input.
Regards
Ross

1 Like

Welcome!

Can you provide a link?

Sorry

Sorry I will provide the link to the listing

Regards
Ross Johnstone

It looks lovely. I only skimmed your listing but it seems such a great place. I think some other hosts here might say ‘add colour’ but I like the monochrome look. That way, it’s a backdrop to the guests and their activities and you’re not imposing your décor tastes on them.

I also love your profile message - you sound very friendly and approachable.

Hi Ross,
I am located on the border of SA and Vic near Nelson, and have hosted successfully with Air the last 14 months. About half of my guests are 2 nights plus and the other half single night bookings. I am used a lot by travellers between Melbourne and Adelaide, and those touring the Great Ocean Road. Your listing looks wonderful, very classy and welcoming, the kind of place my typical guest would like. I am wondering if your price is too high, particularly when including the $50.00 cleaning fee…I guess you have decided what kind of guest you are targeting, I feel you may be busy during the school holidays, but quiet the rest of the year. Hope I am wrong!

Can someone less lazy than me convert the price to US dollars? If it was US dollars, it seems to be great value.

Lovely place

I think if you are wanting to attract families, I would make the interiors feel a bit more homely and add some splashes of colour and perhaps some outdoor toys in the garden to help them imagine themselves there.

I think your place good great, but I think your photos let it down. Try taking photos again but turn all the lights on. And I also agree about adding in some colour - through cushions or through art on the walls. For my place, I printed off some free retro posters from NASA and put them in cheap frames. Cost me NZ$40 max, and it added colour and a quirky touch.

I have a young child . . .if you had a trampoline or swing set in the back, I’d book it in a flash. Maybe buy a backyard cricket set and take a photo of it set up in your backyard? And remember to take another photo once the grass in your front yard grows.

Good luck with your listing.

$105 USD per night.

20 20

Thanks! That seems like great value to me.

1 Like

I think the color scheme is gorgeous. Now, I would add a bright red coffee machine, and some abstract art since the setting is perfect. And it seems wildly affordable, though I don’t understand how location might play into this.

2 Likes

Looks lovely! Love the photos but agree some of them are a little dark. I’m no photographer though and this really wouldn’t put me off booking.
Price seems very reasonable for an entire place that sleeps a fairly large group.
Best of luck!

Very minor things
Add some colour so there is a contrast - but like the simple look as well.
Lose the yard photos - I like my shoes and would be concerned about the red mud staining them and my clothing. Take them again again when the grass is grown. Close up of the front with out the yard.
Otherwise - Lovely!

Consider carefully before putting trampolines or swing sets in. That might raise your insurance premiums. At least consider safety for children.

3 Likes

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I am wondering if I have set the cleaning fees to high to? I am not sure if i should reduce the fee down to say $30.00
Is that a per day cost to the client?
Do you also think that I should go to a per night minimum stay?

I hope to have good listings with the Port Fairy folk festival and other events around but as you say, fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your input, I will take it on board. Good luck with your place to.

Regards
Ross Johnstone

Hi Helsi,
Thank you for you reply.
I have tried to keep the colours fairly neutral and have thought about brining in some colours but I am not sure on what might suit, yes I was thinking about having some games and outdoor things for the kids but at the moment I am hoping on not spending to much more $$$
The place has cost me more than I was hoping to spend but I wanted it right. This reno stuff gets right out of hand, I can tell you :slight_smile:
I am just waiting for the grass to grow for now, thank you for your input.
Much appreciated.

Regards
Ross Johnstone

Hi Caroline,
Thank you for your input.
Yes, I agree that the photos could be better and I will try the night light job and see how they look.
Do you have maybe some photos on what might work as far as colour in the house, I am a bloke and you know how good we are with interior design?
I think that I haven’t done a bad job but I can always improve.

Yes a trampoline or swing set is a great idea, I just thought that I would get the place listed and hope for some return before spending more money on the place, but I do agree.
Hopefully the grass will hurray up and grow,
Thanks again Caroline, I appreciate your help.

Regards
Ross Johnstone

Thanks Ross…I am basing my thoughts on input from other Australian hosts I have met, via Facebook. As we are both located in semi rural locations, guests seem less interested in paying a cleaning fee. Basically the bottom dollar seems to be what they are after! Value for money and pleasant-ness of surroundings. If I were located on Sydney Harbor with a view I would charge a hefty cleaning fee too. Concentrating on gaining 5 star reviews and fantastic feed back these 12 months, now has me contemplating raising my prices. Money cannot by those reviews…they are priceless. Koroit is the most lovely area, and you should do very well. Thanks for your nice words too.
Jennifer.