New host & I think I blew it... should I replace my listing?

I truly hadn’t thought of that - haha this is how ‘green’ I am. On the other hand, I’m close to virtually everything in SP but very far from the Formula 1 place! I might send them to my dad’s though, he lives within walking distance of the thing :grin: (no, seriously now, thank you for the heads-up).

OH NO I hadn’t thought of that!!! Imagine I go through all this and it’s actually a host-boost not a listing-boost? :sob:

Please does anybody out there know this?!

I believe it’s per listing. Only because in my town there’s a host who has 2 listings. The one she listed before Xmas is now all the way down on page 3, and the one she created a few weeks ago with the big ‘new’ banner is in the number one spot.

Again, totally anecdotal!

How far though? I am 60 miles from the Homestead-Miami racetrack but I still have guests who are going there for races. I would check hotel prices for November.

It’s not just spectators - there are journalists, TV people, team members and more. Hotel prices will be crazy! And Sao Paulo is the penultimate race of the season - often the championship is decided there. There are probably many more motorsport activities that take place at the circuit throughout the year, Get in touch with the staff there about your accommodation, It’s now known as the Autódromo José Carlos Pace.

Well worth a try!

It would make sense, no? To be per listing?

Also: I just found a post asking this very question on this forum - unanswered, from August 2016: http://www.airhostsforum.com/t/does-new-apartment-boost-apply-to-second-apartment/7053. It’s by @sinandrei - did you find this out eventually, @sinandrei?

About 20km (~12 miles)! But, with São Paulo’s lovely traffic, anything from a 30 min to 2 hours drive… (I know it, my dad lives down there). But really, if you’re 60 miles away form a racetrack and still get interested people… it must be worth trying; I certainly will, thanks.

Right now the next big event here is of course Carnaval; this is not Rio (far from it LOL) but we do have lottsa activities. In fact there are many very ‘Carnavalesque’ events just down my street. However, I felt rather scared (to be honest) to have my first ever hosting experience with Carnaval guests… so I haven’t made the place available. “Chickened out”, I think you’d say.

It definitely is. :slight_smile:

Hotels are fully booked up during Formula One weekends even if they are a couple of hours drive away.

Look. If you’ve already booked guests on this listing then just run with it.
You can price your listing super cheap with maximum 2 or 3 day stays for the first 2 weeks you’re able to host and that should help you back up the ladder.
No point closing off a listing with bookings, and in the event you can’t accept long term bookings, instead of repeatedly declining them, set a maximum stay in your calendar options so that you don’t get those requests as much, otherwise if you’re very low price they will keep coming in.

1 Like

Hi @AquaticQuests - no I don’t have any guests at all (what I meant above was, I use this account as a guest, and I have booked somewhere as a guest myself so I can’t cancel the account). No guests yet, zero.

I do have a maximum stay of 2 weeks set for the listing. But I’ve had one request for 5 months, one for a year, and one for “24-30 months”! I don’t know why… i felt like a real estate agent. But you’re probably right, it must ve because the price is very low?

P.S. mind you: two of those requests suggested in their messages if I could rent outside the system, which of course I refused. I do feel it’s a little unfair if I’m pushed under the rankings for refusing something that is against the TOS, but there it is.

I’d suggest setting up. New profile with a New Emil address, I love gmail. I wish I had a separate acct for travel from hosting. May do that after this trip.

@MaMa - there are several hosts - me included - who don’t agree with the Airbnb idea that you should keep your prices low when you first start renting your room or apartment.

The likelihood is that you’ve spent money on your place with insurance, bedding, towels etc. and when you start hosting you’ll have cleaning materials, laundry and other things to pay for. Don’t forget to factor in your time too.

Some hosts go so low because they are anxious to get the ball rolling and yet it turns out that they are not just not making a profit, hosting is actually costing them money. Please don’t make that mistake.

There will always be hosts who charge less than you do (probably beginners) but when people see cheap listings they tend to think ‘What’s wrong with it?’ so it can be counterproductive. There will always be more expensive listings too. Just concentrate on adding value to your listing - value that your guests will appreciate but that don’t cost you money.

1 Like

How long does the initial boost last? I have been working on my listing, and I have occasionally published it for a few minutes at time to test, but I will be ready to launch it only at the end of the month. Am I blowing my newbie boost, as well?

No one knows …

1 Like

@jaquo - thank you so much for your words. I’m here thinking and thinking about them, and they make a lot of sense.

Right now my base price is at U$ 36 (this is for a 2 bedroom flat, the whole place; old flat, no luxury, but most of all: in a very good location). There is nothing around here at this price; other AirBnBs near me are charging at least U$ 50 (but: they have reviews). And mind you: I’m still above what Air suggests me. For the last days, every time I checked the listing I lowered a bit (as I keep seeing the message: ‘at this price you are not competitive’). Discussing this with my husband yesterday, we’re thinking that at this rate we’ll be paying to host… but we thought, it’s just to get started.

But now I’m at the lowest I can imagine, and still get the warning - and no bookings!!! I now realise this low price might not have been very wise at all.

1 Like

Hi @PennyM - I thought of doing this too, snoozing for a while. But I’ve read in another thread here that once you publish for the first time, the clock is ticking :confused:

But don’t take my word for it, I don’t know this for a fact, I just read it in the thread linked above… I’m more than lost LOL. I hope someone more experienced can throw some light.

(Edit: adding the link to the post which made me understand there’s no good pausing, boost will be gone anyway: http://www.airhostsforum.com/t/no-bookings-and-no-enquiries/11702/14?u=mama)

1 Like

Sadly, yes you are. As @KKC says, no-one is sure about how long the boost lasts but my estimate is that it lasts for about four weeks. During that time, it’s possible to get bookings for the next three or four months.

It’s important to make the most of it!