New and would love a critique

About this listing
Our place is good for couples, families, solo adventurers, families and business travelers.( remove 2nd families, sp for travellers in Ireland is 2 L’s , may just be one L in US

In the space
For non us, what’s a price chopper, assuming it’s some type of shop ?

Getting around
You will likely want a car if you are staying with us, although using user is possible. We are about a 2 minute drive/ 20 minute walk to a grocery store. ( Should that be uber ? )
We have a long list of restaurant, local Vermont recommendations that we are happy to share depending on your interests! ( Needs a s at the end of restaurant)

1 Like

I noticed the repetition also but accepted it as being that you wanted to make sure potential guests would actually read it as it has been discussed in many threads on this forum that people just don’t read.

About charging for laundry detergent, just seems cheap. For the actual $ it costs you perhaps include it.

Mmmhhh, I noticed the repetition and stopped reading.

I would have liked to see the outside of your building in its setting?

I agree it’s very cute and the all-white is wonderfully clean looking. I am new as well, in fact so new I haven’t listed our place yet, so I’m looking at it as a potential renter. I appreciate the short description and letting the pictures speak for the place.

1. Some pictures of what you can see from the windows; what is the view?
  2. Some pictures of the outside of the building; what will the renters see when they walk to their temporary home.
  3. It may seem like a little thing, but I think some people would be surprised that there is no TV. You may want to include that in your description.
    It looks like reviewers like it already. Good luck!

I hate to buck the trend, but I wouldn’t book your property.

The property is for 5 people, but if 5 people stay, they can’t eat together. Plus, one dining chair is on wheels. I also am not in love with your living room, and couldn’t imagine hanging out in the space. I think living rooms should have comfy seating conducive to hanging out. Perhaps swap the cube storage with the small wooden bench and add some padding? Or perhaps upgrade the couch/bench for something more comfy?

Also, do your kitchen cabinets not close? Some look as though they’re ajar.

I suggest eliminating duplicates and non-property photos. I also think you should eliminate the repetition in your listing. Please go through an edit your house rules so they are clear, succinct and…rules. For example, one of your house rules: “Nicole runs a handmade store (Birdfolk Collective in Winooski - come visit!) Almost all of the art on the walls is also for sale. Please let us know if there is something there or in the case that you would like to purchase.” Yes, guests don’t read the listing, but they’re less inclined to read the listing if it’s long and repetitive.

Lastly, Breakfast is listed as an Amenity but in the listing, you state there is no food or drink provided.

Thanks for your feedback! Not sure how I had the breakfast box clicked but I fixed that.

I think it’s apparent that it’d be more comfortable for 2-4 people but 5 folks who are looking for a deal might be ok with our set up. I’m not sure what’s wrong with a chair on wheels but perhaps you wouldn’t stay at our place because you’d be looking for something higher end. I suppose I don’t see a problem with that set up as it was what we used for years. It costs a lot of money to furnish an entire apartment after completely renovating it so we had to work with a lot of what we had.

As bookings come in, we’ll have some financial wiggle room to buy more furniture. For example, our first 5 person booking didn’t realize that originally we only had one queen and one twin bed. We decided to buy a second queen with that money so that they’d be more comfortable and we could host more people.

My guess is that most of our bookings are going to be 2-3 people. If we do get 5 people staying in our apartment I’d probably put a few chairs from our apartment down there. The couch could be more comfortable, but it’s a sleeper sofa and folds flat. Most people who come to Vermont are probably not coming to hang out in our living room all day so thought it’d be better to have an extra place to sleep rather than a big plush couch.

I wasn’t giving feedback based on looking for something else. I was giving feedback based on what I would be looking for if I was looking to stay at your place.

Your place is ideal for 2-3 people because that’s how many it can fit around the kitchen table and sleep.

A chair on wheels isn’t ideal for a kitchen table which is why most restaurants and kitchen table sets come with stable, static chairs. Most adults don’t want to roll away whilst eating their dinner.

People typically book entire houses/flats because they tend to have kitchens and living rooms unlike hotels which are typically just bedrooms. The bonus is the guests can hang out in a communal space, prepare their own food, etc. They don’t need to want to hang out all day to want to sit on a comfy seat.

Also, my comments were not about your sofa (we had the same sofabed in one of our rental properties), but the couch/bench thing. That thing looks uncomfortable. As I said, you could add a few cushions ($10 each or something from Target?) or something, and move it so it’s more conducive to conversation ($0).

:confused: Based on what are you saying this? :frowning:

The fact that restaurant chairs don’t have wheels is probably because a chair with wheels costs more, and because people tend to see it more as an office thing. Another argument could be that the base of the chair takes a little bit more space.
I have no reason to believe that “most people” don’t want to roll :astonished:. Has there been a study on this?

Just another example of how everyone has their “thing” I guess :joy: As the resident decor snob I don’t care if the chair has wheels as long as it fits in with the rest of the decor. A kitchen chair with wheels being a problem would never occur to me.

What a great place for Vermont! I’m so over the rustic, dark farmhouse thing there. So nice to see a bright modern place!

If you could, I would make your check in time a little earlier. 4:00 is pretty late and some people may feel cheated that they barely get half a day on their first day. Try to move it back to 2:00 if you can.

2 Likes

Since they’re playing to sleep… a late check in time doesn’t really matter in my opinion.

Hi barefootNM, I am very near you geographically but don’t have such a lovely place with your great location.

I do try very hard though and it is working but I wondered if I can privately send you my link and get your feedback. I am brand new to this forum so I don’t know how people feel about putting critique questions out there. I thought since you are near me maybe you can look at my place. Or, if it is normal, and not considered a bother can you tell me that? I would love any feedback

I don’t know how to send this to you only. Brand new here. Thank you

For me it can be a safety issue but then it depends on the flooring and the chairs. Where I used to work, we moved into a new building and got brand new high-tech chairs and the first time I went to a meeting we all sat down and rolled away - we thought it was funny but we did actually have to hold on the the table during the whole meeting and every time after that.

Fast forward to buying a hospital bed for my mom it rolled everytime I tried to make her bed. She was a stroke patient and we bought locking boxes, etc. but never found a solution. It was at the home she lived at before she passed away - that is what I think of. But on the other hand, I think of restaurant lounges in the old days with club chairs - the dark intimate restaurants and I would go right now if I could!. For me it is really safety. If a person not steady on their feet tried to get leverage to get up and rolled away, it could be dangerous. Lots of people I see bring inlaws so i would worry a bit.

Those are my reasons about rolling chairs but I am not saying I know what you should do at all!

I would be happy to take a look at your listing and give feedback. You can send it to me directly in a private forum or post it on the board as @KKC said so that others can give you feedback as well. Just tag me so I’ll see it.

1 Like

Hi, here is my link I hope. And for background; We originally bought this home for my parents and they are both gone now. We are going to sell it but due to a couple complicated surgeries I needed we missed out on the spring/summer. There are a lot of foreclosures around here (we live a few blocks down) – anyway, my plan now that I am feeling somewhat better, to go back to airbnb until next May. I can’t figure out a way to get a screen print of all my photos so I can review them and I have tried several times to clean them up and delete repeat shots, etc. Sometimes screen freezes, sometimes I get tired, etc. I did finally get the professional photographer but he came in the dead of winter so I still want to use pictures of trees. I would like feedback and a review. I will add that I am feeling a bit fragile (emotionally) so hopefully I won’t get slammed. But, if I am going to make this work for a while, I need the truth. Thank you in advance.

Your rental is lovely and very livable! I see you allow pets and had two little dogs recently. Apparently no harm was done so that’s good. I would be hesitant to allow pets because of the nice plush area rug in the living room.

The only other thing which would be of concern to me is allowing use of the treadmill and the sun-bed…just the possible liability aspect and mis-use, but that’s just me.

Don’t worry, you won’t get slammed here - nice rental!

1 Like

Thank you. Suntan bed is a relic from days past and neither of us can use it. We do plan to remove it. I just need (husband needs) some help from neighbors. I think you are right too about the treadmill. Same logistic problem but I thought until he gets it out of there I would emphasize it. BUT, really good points. A realtor who looked also said same about those because of saleability (or however to say that). Your response already makes me start planning.

My hubby’s truck! I left it in the picture on purpose but I don’t know if it should be there. Every guy (and gals) that see it want to talk about it…

1 Like

If you can sell those items, it would be ideal but another alternative is to donate them and have them picked up. That’s what I did with my treadmill.

I can’t recall whether I called Big Brothers, Goodwill, Salvation Army or some other charity…I always donate to whoever has the soonest pickup at the time. (I donate quite often.) Fortunately, the treadmill was in the garage because the guys were not allowed to make in-house pickups - it had to be in the driveway or thereabouts.

1 Like

@belwoodranch Super cute and I love the record player. Although I tend to agree with @KKC that the white is a bit overwhelming.

Tim
TurnoverBnB

1 Like