New and would love a critique

We are new and had a few guests stay. I would love a critique! our airbnb listing

Super cute place. Love your style. I would totally stay there! Turquoise kitchen cabinets :heart_eyes: And I have the same gold lamp in my place :wink: The only suggestion I have is to try to take some better photos, and make them all horizontal. Some of them showed up vertical or blurry or a little dark, but I can tell they arenā€™t doing your adorable place justice.

1 Like

thank you! I will take some more when we get another sunny day with your tipsā€¦can be few and far between here in Vermont in the winter! I was thinking once we have a little more income coming in I might hire a professional photographer.

Where did you get all of your rugs from?

The jute rug is from IKEA. The kilim rugs from living room and smaller bedroom is a vintage rug from Turkey -etsy seller YKPcarpet. They were splurges and I honestly thought Iā€™d take them upstairs with us once we finished our renovation but feel they help make the airbnb look I was going for all come together. Hopefully they donā€™t get ruined :slight_smile: The smaller throw rugs in larger bedroom, kitchen and bathroom are from home goods. They are great because even though they say they are not machine washable, I have washed them several times in the washing machine and they do really well!

The green and white one is an outdoor/indoor rug. That one was gifted from my mom but itā€™s awesome because you can take it outside and hose it off if you need to!

I just looked at your listing- so cute! I love your style!

This looks really lovely- great decorating! :slight_smile:
I agree with @barefootNM about the photos- they look a bit small as well (smaller than most listings iā€™ve seen) so not sure if there is any way to put larger ones up. If Airbnb doesnā€™t offer (free) professional photos in your area, I would recommend getting someone from airtasker to take photos- I think they make a huge difference.

Only one thing that really stuck out for me- you mention that laundry detergent is available but you want the guest to leave a couple of dollars to cover the use of this. To me (although Iā€™m sure this is not the case!), this screams ā€œcheapā€ to me (as in, well if they want to charge me $2 for this, what else might they charge me for?) - and given you are charging over $100 a night Iā€™m not really sure if asking for this extra cash will add anything to your bottom line, but could impact people who are potentially looking to book.

1 Like

I need a white ruffled shower curtain.

5 Likes

thank you! perhaps I will remove that bit about laundry detergent! My guess is that most guests wonā€™t be doing laundry anyway unless they are staying for quite a while.

home goods! or tj max!

1 Like

That curtain immediately appealed to my frou-frou side. Luv it!

2 Likes

Your place looks lovely, fun and relaxing. I really like your kitchen cabinets. In your description you wrote user when you meant to write Uber. There are several repetitions: you state several times that you live above the rental, you state several times that the fireplace is decorative, you state more than once that your dogs will bark when people arrive and that you will remove your dogs from the yard when guests want to use the yard. By the way, is there a reason guests canā€™t play with the dogs if they want to? I have many guests who specify that they chose my listing because there are dogs to play with. In my listing I put distances in miles and kilometers instead of stating how long it will take to walk or drive someplace so that guests who are slow or fast walkers will not find my listing to be inaccurate. If you can get the Airbnb professional photographer I highly recommend that you do. I hope you enjoy hosting and that you get lots of great guests.

3 Likes

I mentioned everything in different places with the worry that certain guests would only read one thing. Do you think itā€™s too repetitive? I am just nervous and want people to know exactly what they are in for with our place.

Iā€™m not totally anti people meeting my dogs, especially really big dog lovers. But our dogs are 50 lb pitbull and shepherd mix. They are high-energy, rowdy rescue dogs whose appearance may intimidate some who arenā€™t ā€˜dog peopleā€™. They require consistent training and often times people unknowingly reinforce bad behavior. I.E. Jumping up. Guests always ā€œOhh itā€™s ok I donā€™t mindā€ Well, I do! We like to have them on leash so that isnā€™t a possibility. Also, (OK now I sound like crazy dog lady) but one dog is afraid of new people and sometimes new people insist on petting her when she is not comfortable. Iā€™d rather not have to involve guests in a training sessionā€¦that is what family and friends are for :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I know for a fact that several posters here would love to see pictures of your dogs (hint, hint). Our dogs are both rescues, a German Shorthaired Pointer who is about 40 pounds and a pit bull mix who is about 55 pounds. Thankfully, they both like people and neither of them jump on people. Our pit mix used to jump on people, but our trainer put an end to that. Now that youā€™ve told me about your dogs , I can see how you would want to keep them apart from your guests. What our trainer does with dogs that are shy of new people is have the owner ask anyone the dog meets to give the dog treats.

You are correct that guests wonā€™t read your listing. The problem is that repetition makes it less rather than more likely that they will read it. Here is a link to my listing. Weā€™ve had guests who donā€™t realize that we have dogs, guests who donā€™t realize that the bathroom is shared, guests who donā€™t realize that we have two twin beds instead of one large bed and on and on.

2 Likes

I think youā€™re right that it makes sense to be repetitive. I employ the same strategy on my listing.

I would like to see pictures of the bathroom and if thereā€™s a cooking space of that too.

1 Like

I love looking at peopleā€™s listings, and what a great job youā€™ve done on your place! I agree that larger photos would do it more justice, and I also wonder if you could somehow get a bit more contrast in the pics of the all-white bedroom.

Love the turquoise kitchen and especially the cement countertops, which Iā€™ve always wanted to try - did you make them in place and was it very difficult?

If Iā€™m being really nit-picky, I would say that Iā€™d put plants in the empty fireplace rather than the stand you have there which looks a bit cold to me.

30 years ago we drove through what seemed like the WHOLE of Vermont looking for somewhere to stay - if only Airbnb had existed then!

The place looks stunning ! I would absolutely love to stay there !

If you want to make it even better (like in 99% becomes 100%) I can do the following nitpicking:

• Edit your description. It all makes sense, but itā€™s too long.
  • Edit your rules. They all make sense, but itā€™s too much and too long.
  • I would put the caramels on the night stand and take a close-up photo of that. I donā€™t think they show very well in the picture.
  • Bedroom looks bright and clean, with all the white, but a splash of color (a throw on the bed) would do good.
  • Same for the bathroom: A splash of color (more plants?) would do good.
  • I am not a fan of the shower curtain.

Thanks! Your listing reminds me more of my studio listing (all white :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and the lamp!) http://abnb.me/EVmg/YYPXpoMLQA

1 Like

OMG, all those beautiful listings make me want to travel, not work :sob:.

2 Likes

Did white appliances go out of style? I like them. I canā€™t understand why people who donā€™t have live in housekeepers get stainless steel appliances. Mine would have dog noseprints all the time.

1 Like