My way of rating guests

My current guest turned up 2 hrs late and with another person. After I showed them around she said that she wouldn’t be staying there and the guy would.

I have spoke to Airbnb about it and they said it was against the rules and said if it happens again to get them to cancel the booking and get the other person to sign up and book in their place. They also said I couldn’t rate them and vise versa.

But if I had the chance it would be very low. Haha

Anyone else had this situation?

Perhaps you haven’t heard of the new guest review rating system implemented May 2016.
1 = Terrible
2 = Not Great
3 = Average
4 = Great
5 = Fantastic

Lordy me, have I been on their official page complaining. I don’t even rate my own house as “Fantastic”. Now the May Host Report has dropped me down to 67% from 2 years of consistent 80% and above. Two years as Superhost. Quite discouraging. The reviews state they have received much more than could have been offered at a 5 star hotel, (without the cost, if it was even an option). I have reminded them of the founders beginning; renting the airbed to pay their rent when all the hotels in SF were sold out. Sure, an airbed would have qualified as “Great”. Cheap price and a place to sleep instead of in a car. Perhaps it’s the Universe hinting for me to throw in the towel for my 24/7 dedication to my hosting style.

2 Likes

So, this supports my argument that we as hosts should also be more critical on our guests.

I have many great guests, but only a few fantastic guests.

1 Like

I got the same number in my May Host Report!

@Rhonda is it possible to underpromise and overdeliver? What kind of listing do you have? Whole house or private room. Luxury or budget?

I deleted my May Host Report email without reading. :wink:

3 Likes

good for you. i think its a private house and nobody’s business. They all should go.
The entire set up is insulting. Complete invasion of privacy by airbab
Lets start a petition to be rid of feed back all together.

Good one, yours just made me realize that I am being too soft with the ratings. Should became strict.
Thanks for sharing it here by the way.

I’ve checked with local friends who host and they All say publicly marking down guests in a review makes you look like a mean nasty host. How about all the hosts who were not truthful in rating a certain international guest who was a total slob- collecting garbage and leaving it in hefty bags in the room at the end of his stay. Shouldn’t we be honest and truthful in our reviews to protect other hosts.

We should be honest in our reviews. That is the best check in the system. ABB doesn’t know hosts or guests so we depend on reviews.

To whom? Other hosts? What do I care if another host seems mean? Yes, I want to know if a guest is a slob.

Looks hasty to the prospecting guests?
As a guest I rarely check which reviews. The host has given to a previous guest, I only check the hosts review.

@janfit

1 Like

The are 2 different things: 1. the review you write, 2. the starts you give.

1. The review should concise and factual. Hardly any guests reads the reviews made by hosts about other guests, but it helps other hosts.

2. Marking down should be done with the stars and thumb. Low stars make IB impossible, so hosts are able to read reviews before a guest books.

You should always be honest when doing a review.

1 Like

Exactly. My downgrading bad guests is hopefully going to get them to improve or get off the platform. That’s why, unlike some posters here, I always give a review right away to help other hosts and to help good guests get bookings with good hosts.

1 Like

Until you have the experience of getting smacked by someone just because your review prompted them to write one of you. Helping other hosts is fine, but let’s remember it is also every man (woman) for themselves! I would rather help myself first! :smile:

1 Like

But remember I have a different rental and clientele than you and most of the others posting here. Not only does my stats page say I get 5 star reviews 98% of the time but hosts near me get 5 stars 88% of the time. It’s either people with money or tourists who suck.

You seem to have hit on a winning formula,so I hope your good luck continues…

Here’s a link to something I recently wrote and posted on my website. I believe when guests understand expectations, they’re more likely to comply. Any suggestions/ideas/etc. are appreciate.

http://www.suiteretreatcolorado.com/assets/airbnb-rating-card_v1.pdf

1 Like

Nice work, but have you used it yet? Trying to explain stuff to guests is certainly worth a try.

Hey we share a name! I. Love. This. Thank you very much for sharing it with us. I think you nailed it…5 stars :grinning:.

I just finished writing and posting it to my website today… I’ve got a
young couple upstairs now that leave tomorrow morning. They’re not
’newbies’ (they have 2 reviews)… but they might be good test subjects
just for some feedback. I get a ton of people who’ve never airbnb’d
before… and with that comes a range of ratings that don’t always line up
with what they say in person… I’m sure you know what I mean!

I’ll let you know if I found out anything worth sharing. :slight_smile: