Maintaining superhost status -don't fall for it!

I get solid five star reviews without offering wine, flowers etc. What percentage of your profit margin does it eat up doing this?

1 Like

Hi Peeps!
I am a Superhost too and love what I am doing. I try to do the best I can, like if its raining and my guest is unable to step out for breakfast, although I donā€™t offer breakfast, I still offer to make them a decent one. And yes, naturally I expected a little appreciation, but I didnā€™t even get a review ! Do any of you not receive reviews from your guests ?

I donā€™t make breakfast but Iā€™ve done other extras. I always got a review from those guests. However, I donā€™t always get a review from every guest.

Superhost status is very tricky.
First of all it is based on variables which should not be all rated at the same level.
For example why is the rating of your location included in the calculation?
You may be a fantastic host in a mediocre location or a mediocre host in a prime one. Not everyone has a view on the Eiffel Tower!
Second it is based on the American fantasy that every one is perfect. With a scale from 1 to 5, why would guest need to rate you 5 to be a great host?
We discovered that, culturaly, some non American guests will really appreciate your hospitallity, while giving you a 4. For them 5 is perfect and there is always some imperfection in the world.
We try very hard to maintain our superhostā€™s status, but at the same time we are not obsessed with it anymore.

Location is not part of the SuperHost calculation. The Overall rating is the only rating that affects SuperHost status.

1 Like

Do you mean the location is not impacting the overall rating?
I had guest who didnā€™t give me an overall 5 for one listing because they
didnā€™t like the location. So it impacts necessarily.

Paul Page
Arubabnb.com

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/829/how-do-i-become-a-superhost

Nope. Just that overall star is used in the calculation. The other items that are tracked are listed in this help document.

1 Like

I think what arubabnb is saying is that the guest will think about the location when giving the overall rating. In other words, if everything was amazing, but the guest wished it had been closer to downtown or something like that, they might only give 4 stars.

They might. Then again weā€™ve seen stories here of people who give all 5 stars on categories and then a 4 star overall. The occasional 4 star here and there on location isnā€™t going to kill your SH. You only need 80% overall 5 stars. Itā€™s not impossible. OTOH, if everyone can be a superhost, whatā€™s the point. As it is every time I search there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of superhosts.

Thanks for sharing this great perspective / wisdom. This was refreshing to read. I am currently a Super Host and going through this with a really passive aggressive guest now. Iā€™m realizing no matter how much I do for this guest, she will not be happy. I wrote AirBnB about the issue Iā€™ve been having with this guest and have not received much help or guidance. The platform review system definitely seems to give guests an unfair power advantage over hosts, especially Super Hosts. Like you, I was at first happy to get the Super Host status, thinking it would further increase my bookings rate, but am now realizing a few things: 1) my bookings rate hasnā€™t increased (it was already pretty good); 2) it seems to have attracted worse guests, and 3) as a result, the situation has me feeling disenchanted with hosting my property on the AirBnB platform.

2 Likes

We had superheats status too. Guests expected a lot. We like to keep their expectations to a minimum so they complain less.

I think Iā€™ve said it before, but Iā€™ll say it again just in case. Not to brag or anything but I was a super host for about three years straight. Then, I stopped hosting. :slight_smile: While I donā€™t think it really affects the bottom line much (do you really think potential guests give a ratā€™s behind about some fabricated nonsense Air BnB came up with like ā€˜super hostā€™?), the one difference I did notice is that when you are a super host, you get the royal treatment when you contact customer service. That was kind of nifty.

1 Like

Some of us do. I put the SH filter on when I search. Iā€™ve had some guests remark about it but does it really matter to them? Probably not. Iā€™m more interested in the total number of reviews and total number of stars. But with SO MANY LISTINGS to wade through in most places, SH and IB helps.

Not if they are super busy. I contacted them several times in January and had a long wait and an unsatisfactory outcome. Last month I had a better experience. Like you Iā€™ve been a SH 16 straight quarters so donā€™t remember what the regular customer service was like.

Sorry for the 1.5 year late response, ha.

I do own 2 houses, well 1 entirely (that ~8k a month I mentioned was for the main property I own 100%ā€”not B.S.'ing those numbers, as my main rental property. 50/50 split ownership on a 2nd home. and about to co-host under the table for 30% for another house.

Still canā€™t find a way to sublease and airbnb that isnā€™t in a grey area or just a little too difficult for my likingā€” Iā€™ve decided for the time being to try co-hosting multiple properties for people. do you know anyone needing help or know where I can find a group of hosts needing help with co-hosting their properties? I can provide services above and beyond typical co-host duties. i.e. significantly increase occupancy rates, and most of all hostsā€™ bottom lines. With the data to prove it.----- gameplan is get 5 co-host jobs,that additional passive income plus my ā€œReal JObā€ and income from my short term rental business thusfar will hopefully give m,e the capital I need to acquire another real estate investment/short-term rental property once housing prices cool down a bit in a year or 2. Or better yet I can find a great deal before then and add a 3rd owned property to my business.

Please let me know if you could connect me with anyone or where i could find people needing co-hosting help if you donā€™t mind.

Thank you very much!