Luggage drop off at 5.30am

p.s. they open at 5am.

I messaged them today, their stay is booked and paid for a good while back.

Taxi is the only option, taxiā€™s are not that cheap, airport to city centre would cost more than I charge for a night. 95% of my guests use public transport to get to my home.

There are a few coffee shops thanks a mill Smtucker, the Butlers make chocolate and you get to pick a sweet as well, greencaps sounds good and open just in time.

The refund option is a bit odd Konacoconutz, itā€™s neither host or guest friendly, I would have no problem moving around dates as the booking is not until July, but if I did it reflects on my ratings and if the guest cancels they donā€™t get their refund.

Not sure if that refund thing is only the US? Have never seen it before. It only affects the portion of the refund you volunteer to give back. Not, say, the half they get back if they cancel. Iā€™ve given guests voluntary refunds many a time and have never had the system take me to resolution, as though I were just sending money.

they can leave their bags here
http://www.nedkellys.ie/?gclid=CjwKEAiAxKrFBRDm25f60OegtwwSJABgEC-ZCLBU_t6qpEH90O9DA8txVjL1qsuK8nE8SVbyKeyVFBoCKrzw_wcB
5Euro per bag and it is open 24H
they can take the first airlink and drop the bag in the city center
mc Donald in Oā€™Connell Street is open 24h and also starbucks in Stephens green
I donā€™t really think it is really polite to ask to drop off luggage so early in the morning, most of the people sleep at that time and I think your future guests guess that you sleep too at that time

Happy to help introduce you to your city!!! :innocent:

Seriously, I like solutions, and will find one if there is one. Do remember, if their plane arrives from outside the EU at 5:30am, they still have to get though immigration and customs and collect their luggage. Public transport might well be underway by then.

1 Like

You have no obligation to accept early drop off. Possibly they will show up, drop luggage and then tell you that since it is very early, they would like to spend the morning in your room. Donā€™t fall for it! I get the impression that many hosts donā€™t understand their own rights and are too concerned about alienating guests. Bad idea. Your obligations donā€™t extend beyond what is in your description of your premises and what is required by AirBnB. I was appalled at the guy who was apparently too scared to tell his four potential male hosts that NO ADDITIONAL GUESTS are allowed! Suggestion: add to your posting the prohibition against outside guests at night, and also that day visitors need permission from the host. But why would they need a day visitor? If they have local friends or professional associates, they can meet them at their house or a local restaurant or bar or whatever. Hey, hosts, get tough and donā€™t let yourself be taken advantage of. Just be explicit and clear in your site description about what you allow and donā€™t allow, period, no exceptions. Youā€™ve booked two people? And afterwards all of a sudden a small child or a visitor is mentioned? NO. Or they show up with a child that was never mentioned? NO. Send them away. And BEFORE you confirm a booking, repeat your conditions and requirements and ask guest to confirm that they have read them and agree to comply. I do this with regard to arrival time at our house, which I specify NO LATER than 9 pm. So do the sameā€¦BEFORE
you confirm, not after!

2 Likes

Welcome to the simple life, where everything is black or white, and people work from 9 to 5.

1 Like

Lol @GutHend. Fact is there are luggage services everywhere. Guests could easily make use of them instead of crazy requests like leaving luggage at 5.30 am

Personally it would never have crossed my mind to even ask.

My last post was a reply to LornaS.
I agree 5:30AM would also have me doubting seriously accommodating yes or no.
On another point: I canā€™t think of a luggage storage close to our place that would be convenient for our guests. Iā€™m going to ask my hubby of that exists nearby. You never know when we might need it.

It doesnā€™t need to be near you. It needs to be centrally located so usually a train station or coach station is perfect. You drop your bags off do your sight seeing and then collect your bags before making your way home.

And theyā€™re cheap (Ā£8 for 24 hours usually). Iā€™ve used them everywhere and the time saved by NOT going to the hosts home and then going back out again make them even better value. If only guests also stopped to think how much their own time is worth it would stop these shenanigans. Why when youā€™re anywhere for a short time would it make sense to you to go anywhere 2 times in one day.

Of course I get if youā€™re a car driver no big deal but in my market all my guests arrive on foot.

1 Like

I understand your point, and you are totally right for lots of locations.

However in our city, guest arrive and leave in locations where they donā€™t want to be and theyā€™d better not be. The airport is almost an hours drive in a bad neighborhood. Bus stations (every company has his own) are scattered around the city, away from sightseeing, in mostly not so safe neighborhoods either. And really there isnā€™t any sightseeing to be done anywhere in the city at that time, it would simply be downright dangerous. You would even have a hard time finding a place open for a coffee.
Our neighborhood is one of the few where one would want to be at 5:30AM, but to my knowledge not one single place will be open at that time. Not taking into account the discotheque.

But luckily (to my knowledge) airplanes and buses donā€™t arrive that early. The earliest people ever arrived at our apartment was 8:00AM. By 7:00AM we are up so thatā€™s no problem.

Where are you based?

1 Like

Lima, Peru (Post must be 20 characters.)

Yep can see you are the rarity in this case.

1 Like

Have you been looking for luggage storage in Lima? :flushed:
I guess there are more Latin-American big cities with the same ā€œproblem / situationā€.

In Los Angeles the train station is nowhere near where pretty much anyone wants to be. It is a 20 minute drive from me if thereā€™s no traffic; an hour and a half if there is traffic. I donā€™t know what a coach station is. Guests try to pick an Airbnb location that is close to the places they want to go, so it makes sense to me that they would like to drop off their luggage.

1 Like

Yes I did look for luggage services and immediately saw it was was a problem based on the amount of threads on lonely planet :wink:

But as a guest I would still take that into account and therefore book a flight that arrived at an appropriate time.

In that case it would be better to pay your host $US 200,00 (more than 5 times the nightly rate) extra to get up early and keep your room. That will be cheaper than looking for a flight with an appropriate time :wink:.

Yep whatever is more cost effective. I once paid a host for an extra night knowing I was going to leave at 11.30 pm.

Thatā€™s location-dependent. Itā€™s not true of my current location. Itā€™s also not true of much fo the US, at least not any longer, I believe.

1 Like