Long Term Vs Short Term Stays

What would you say the pros and cons of having a long term (a month or more) rental? For context, I do not live on the property, and I have two inquiries: one for 38 days from February, and one for 85 days from February.

My biggest concern about a long term stay is the maitenence and potential damage/dirt that could come from a month-long stay. Perhaps I could pay for my cleaner to drop in once a week to make sure things are kept tidy to combat that though?

I do like the idea of getting a large sum of money up front as opposed to a couple hundred dollars every check in (as per short term stay), but is there anything I’m overlooking or should be worrying about when accepting a longer stay?

Advice is appreciated!

Check your local laws. Some countries have laws in place that if someone stays (paying) even without a contract, it constitutes a tenancy. Then you got a BIG problem on your hands. I’ve got more, but that is the most important!!

If you do book them, perhaps have the guest sign an additional contract, and collect a larger deposit. Book them in 29 day blocks. Julie is right. In some states, they will become your tenant, subject to tenants’ rights. Be careful. Google the famous AirBnB Palm Springs squatter case, and you may not want to touch either of these with a ten foot pole. Or book in 29-day blocks to protect yourself.

As for me, I would NEVER book an Air rental longer than 29 days. Three weeks is my max.

Since you don’t live I a. Property it won’t bother you I they are going to cook a lot and use your laundry.
Are they paying the full price you are asking? Usualy with long terms people negotiate.

Is this booking taking place during peak season? Are you offering a discount for a month long stay? If you can earn more on short term stays then I wouldn’t let a long term stay hog all the prime weeks. And definitely be concerned that someone could turn into a long term tenant and you would have to get them evicted.

Is it normal in your area for someone to stay that long during the time you are renting?

I am not sure what other hosts do, but I understand that here on Japan it’s very difficult for foreigners to rent long term accomodation–even someone like me who has lived here for ten years can run into some trouble when signing up for an apartment and will need a “Japanese National” to sign for me and vouch for me in case there are any “problems”.

Weekly mansions and short-long-term rental agencies exist for those wishing to rent an apartment on a weekly basis and most Japanese would probably just use that service to book accomodation for a month or more, but weekly mansions are also very particular about allowing “foreigners” to sign a contract.

So I understand how for many people who want to spend an extended time in Japan, airbnb is really their only choice. I don’t think it’s too suspicious.

I was wondering if I’d make more money accepting short term bookings instead but the guest that wants to stay for 30 days agreed to pay extra to have my cleaning guy drop in every week, that way we will be able to keep an eye on the property and make sure it doesn’t get too damaged during their stay. It’s in February, which can be quite cold and dark and boring so maybe it’ll be nice to have a safe lump-sum payment as opposed to a trickle from short term guests.

The possibility that he might jack my apartment is scary, but not likely. There are much cheaper places to stay long term in Japan, it’s just the paperwork that’s a hassle for those who don’t have any connections to citizens that is a road block.

The laws regarding long term tenants may not even apply to you! So scratch what I said earlier!

It sounds good to me to take these long term stays at your place, and the guests are probably thrilled to find them.

I was there this past February and didn’t find it bleak at all. :smile: I went to visit my two sons who were both studying abroad. I live in Hawaii so it’s refreshing to get away to someplace cold. :slight_smile:

I also enjoyed the stark beauty. I stayed in a Capsule in Shinjuku (loved it) and the rest of the time in a Tokoyo Inn which was only about 65US that time of year.

Had we known better we could have actually even bunked on his dorm room floor. No one at all was checking the door, but as I understand it, sometimes the RAs are easygoing and don’t mind overnight visitors. :slight_smile:

I may be back, too, as my son has just applied for another study abroad year in Japan. This time he will be at Rikkyo University, which has accommodations for family at only $40 US. Not bad for central Tokyo!!!

Are you from the US? How long have you been in Japan? My son wants to move there after graduation. :slight_smile:

Are both of your sons in Japan?

Toyoko Inns are always located in good areas, and are pretty reliable in terms of cost performance! I like them too, but some foreign visitors might find the rooms a little too small for their liking hey? As most Japanese rooms are. :slight_smile:

I’m from Canada but I’ve been in Japan for ten years, I came as an exchange student when I was 17 years old, and I’ve been here ever since.

I used to work in tourism for the city where I am based, and did that for a year and a half, and this summer particularly foreign visitors have increased exponentially and there aren’t enough hotels to accommodate them, so airbnb has been a great investment for me.

Plus I genuinely enjoy telling people where to go and what to do, and when they enjoy a restaurant or place that I’ve suggested it makes me really happy. Ahah. Some people when they reserve, mention they recognize me from the information I put out about the city, so I like to think I’ve driven my own economy here.

1 Like

Micaela, no. One was in Korea and one in Tokyo at Tokyo Gakugei. Because he misses Japan so much the only way his soul will be soothed is to go again. But they can’t go to the same university so he is choosing Rikkyo. :slight_smile: So he’ll be hopefully getting a scholarship for that dorm… the one that allows his MOM to come and visit him and stay for next to nothing. :slight_smile:

I liked the Toyoko Inn but did a really dumb thing while booking. I thought I was booking the Tachikawa property and ended up booking Fussa by accident. It meant we had 20 more minutes on our subway commute daily and we could not fix it. Hard lesson to learn! I liked the hotel itself though, and the free breakfast. Loved the toilets!

I will have to ask you offline about how it is for a foreigner to live there. My son was on a student visa (which expires in 2017) but will probably do the government JET job, not the teaching one. Pretty sure I am going to lose him eventually to Japan.

I thought Japan was not nearly as expensive as everyone says… the sushi was CHEAP. Of course I had college students showing me around so they knew all the cheap places. The trains were expensive but my son tells me that is because they were privatized in the 1970s.

Nice to meet you!