List of guests, which you should avoid

Kona I understand where you are coming from but Chen NEEDS to state the extra charge for water on her listing. I am on the same page experience wise with a certain culture that loves to takes showers and I have factor that into the costs. yes this will cost me more on water and sewer plus gas on water heater, but that is my costs. I know you are trying to be helpful to Chen when it seems like we are all piling on her… and I am not… but I want her to learn more before she harms herself on airbnb any more.

2 cancelations and a bad review will kill her listing, so we were harsh because she is killing her listing regardless.

I hear you. I must have missed that she cancelled. My bad. Right…that will kill her right there. It is ok to ask guests to conserve water. I am on a rain tank and if they use 300 gallons of water to take a shower I will be calling a water truck to bring me water in no time. I specifically ask for them not to take long showers and finish by 11:30. It’s worked very well to be clear in my rules and listing. Also I tell them in person and show them the tank so they can graphically see there is a finite supply of water staring right at them.

1 Like

I do :slightly_smiling:
Wash body.
Exfoliate body.
Use pumice on rough skin.
Wash hair.
Condition hair.
Shave or use depilatory on underarms, legs and bikini line.
Dry body.
Apply body lotion.
Cut toenails.
Paint toenails.
Moisturise body.

And there’s a lot of other stuff too :slight_smile:

Not that I do all of the above every day but on a leisurely vacation it’s a great opportunity. And sometimes I have three showers a day. One in the morning to wake up, one in the evening before going to bed and sometimes during the day I’ve I’ve been doing yardwork, lots of cleaning or have been in a chlorinated pool. Some fastidious people have showers in the middle of the night after sex :wink:

I’d rather have guests who are obsessively clean than mucky ones!

2 Likes

30 minutes with the water running, in my opinion, is a real indulgence. Having lived on the West Coast of the US for all of my life, I am perhaps more acutely aware of the need to conserve water. Even when I don’t feel a need to be miserly - I can still take care of business in 15 long and luxurious minutes. I cannot imagine shaving at every shower…? Just an observance.

3 Likes

Chen_Susanne;
I can appreciate some of your frustration with new bookings, and many replies appear to be helpful. I do not think that telling you that you are not a good host is helpful at all, though!!
What I do think, is that perhaps your arrangement is not the right thing to host guests.

1. Why are people brushing teeth in your kitchen sink, and if so, that might tell you something about your bathroom arrangements?

2. Your room and bath may not be realistic for 4 people. Most 4 person arrangements require a separate seating or lounging area. I do not know many places that could accomodate 4 adults just stuck in one room. I would back down to 2 people until you can figure out your room space. Try and put yourself in their shoes. I would not even want to get the kind of clients that are willing to sleep 4 to a room. That spells trouble right there.

3. You kitchen accomodations might need to be reviewed. People on vacation want a place to prepare food. I happen to have a separate, fully stocked kitchen in my unit, but lots of people don’t … This is fine - just make arrangements to have access to pots, pans, utensils and dishes they can use. Coffee and Tea preparation is VERY important - so have a spot for that. A microwave, coffeemaker, sink and mini-fridge are all some units need.

4. To get your place up and running after these fiascos, I would contact AIRbnb about my problems, let them know I was taking steps to correct them, and raise your prices to meet the space. Hostel guests are not what we are looking for as AIRbnb hosts. We are looking to share our homes with friendly travelers who will respect the space we offer them and in return, we all try our best to offer them the best we can. (p.s. you cannot legally set up a security camera - it is just not done). If water is such an issue, then be very clear in your booking. And your remark that they want to “use everything in your room without paying” raises the issue that you must remember - they ARE paying to use everything that we offer them - no less, no more. If the water is an issue, write up clear guidelines for everyone, but be realistic. 20 minutes in the shower is on the short side for many people…

I wish you luck in your hosting. But if your are seriously concerned that your guests are caging the joint to steal stuff, then perhaps there is a big disconnect between your clients and your space.

2 Likes

Können Sie mir bitte sagen wie heißt der Ding, um das Warmeswasser in der Dusch für 4 Minuten halten?

If water cost that much definitely put it in your rules, no long showers. I stayed in Ireland in one tiny house. Heater was tiny and water did not stay warm more than 10 minutes. I have long hair and it can take me sometimes 15 minutes to shower. But I adjusted. I only wash hair twice that week, rushed through the shower . People can get used to anything. Don’t be afraid to request what suits you.

Guests have no business wondering into your private areas. This is your house after all. I had once guy who did not know I was home, and went upstairs opening doors to the bedrooms. And then he opened my bedroom where I was taking a nap and woke me up. After that I put in my rules that we all need to give each other as much privacy as possible and use the rest oft he house sparingly.

You have to be comfortable in your own house while hosting otherwise I don’t see how it’s possible to continue.
Aggravation will last forever with long showers and other issues until you put a stop to it. You are the boss, it’s your house, your rules.

1 Like

@mearns can tell you! [quote=“Chen_Susanne, post:19, topic:4319, full:true”]
Können Sie mir bitte sagen wie heißt der Ding, um das Warmeswasser in der Dusch für 4 Minuten halten?
[/quote]

Thank you all the same!

So, I’ve been surprised to see a lot of mean comments, here, and felt compelled to say, there are lessons we learn while hosting on Airbnb, and they’re not all easy. I’d like to think we’d be supportive of new hosts who run into surprises, even if they’re not the most gracious in relating their experiences. Certain guest behavior can be startling, discouraging, even shocking, at first. Hosts come to this experience expecting that travelers will respect the fact that we’re graciously accepting strangers into our private homes, and will at least try to be respectful. My advice to Chen-Susanne is, people function best when the expectations are very clear; when there’s room to negotiate needs, if needed; and when you communicate the boundaries consistently and often. I’ve been hosting five years, and I learned, right away, that I needed detailed rules. I needed to communicate them in my listing, in a followup message after they booked, in person at the check-in, and sometimes, in posted notes and as polite reminders during their stay. Once I did that, 99% of my guests have been absolutely lovely (and many have said how much they appreciate that the rules are detailed and clear). We have to bear in mind that this is still a new and different lodging scenario, and many new guests will naturally draw upon their experiences with hotels as their framework; or, those that don’t may feel really lost in terms of what to expect. Rules/guidelines help them feel more confident about how to show up in your space. They will learn how the Airbnb culture and etiquette differs from hotels only through repeat experiences. The same goes for hosts. Yes, some people are more selfish than others, and they will be annoying & frustrating to people in every circumstance of their lives. But if you calmly and consistently set boundaries, people who respect others respond well, and those who don’t may decide it’s just not worth the effort of having to talk to you about it, so they stop. LOL. People who don’t respect others will be difficult to deal with, regardless, and you’ll usually notice it early in the communication, in time to decline their booking. People who don’t respect others will also tend to avoid your place if you publish detailed rules; people who respect others won’t be put off by your detailed rules. Now, this may be the most valuable bit of advice I have to offer: if something really bothers you, and keeps happening, attach a surcharge to it. Money talks, even tiny amounts of money. For example, I used to have guests leaving dishes in the sink quite often, and when they did, the dishes would multiply because other guests would think they’d remembered the rule wrong, or maybe it wasn’t one they needed to observe, since clearly, other people weren’t. The instant I attached an extra cleaning fee for leaving dishes in the sink (to pay a housekeeper to wash dishes), it stopped. I can count on one hand the number of times a guest has left a dish in the sink since that day. The same strategy has worked for other problems: late check-in/no-show fee ($50); late check-out fee ($25 per quarter hour); overnight guest without asking (double the extra person fee), etc. I’m willing to tolerate certain things I’m paid to tolerate, or can pay someone else to handle for me, and guests are either willing to pay to not have to worry about those things, or not, and in the latter case, they usually find it financially worthwhile to stop doing those things. Hope these tidbits help.

3 Likes

Thank you, Konacoconutz, for calling out the meanness. The forum should be a place where newbies can openly express their difficulties without fear of being so harshly judged. I was shocked by seeing so many mean comments in reply to this host. For sure, some of her comments seemed to be stereotyping people by race or nationality, and that’s an area where she (and all of us) can grow, with one another’s support and guidance. Not everyone who hosts on Airbnb has the same privileges, education, and political awareness. Kona makes a great point: the value and cost of water (and food, supplies, etc.) in some parts of the world is very different than in others. Likewise, a guest snooping is no small matter for a woman living alone, or a home with children, and some people are more vulnerable or previously victimized than others. Let’s model the same tolerance and compassion, here, that we want to show our guests, please.

3 Likes

Anyone else think this might be a tactic to goad us into attacking each other, or provoking conversation about what nationalities are not the best guests? Just thought is was interesting that the OP complained about Germans but was able to ask @konacoconutz about the water heater control in German.

4 Likes

You haven’t met some asian guests. If you set rules, they say you are mean, cheapskate…They wrote just comment like" Oh, the host provide just what she listes, if you want more, you want to pay more"…they will never understand, if they are the guests, why they can not use everthing in your house for free, and they will give you very bad notes. I am a beginner and don’t want to give my guests negative comments. But after i hosting thai people, i regret…They think they are god, they should serve them for free, and let them use of your thing…when they get what you wrote on the webseite, they give you very bad notes…Anyway i am not going to host such people any more. 2hours shower per day per person, make coffee on my new wall, bagain for 6 hours and i said no, they said they wouldnt come. But next day woke me up at 6 in the morning to tell me they will come at 7…and get angry because they saw a kitching but don’t let them use for free…total crazy!

Amy, I am all in favour of tolerance and count myself as an understanding, tolerant person. I have seen very few posts in reply to the original that I would classify as mean, although some are forthrightly expressed.

However, when a poster writes to this forum ostensibly seeking advice but in reality telling everyone else whom they should accept and how they should treat them (admittedly this is from other threads) and stigmatises almost every group of people, continuing to do so even when politely told this is inappropriate, I feel that the limits of my tolerance have been reached!

So far, this poster has insulted Jews, Arabs, Thais, Chinese, old people, Americans, Germans (who may be “not real Germans”) and shower lovers. I would flag her posts except that I wait with horrified fascination to see who she insults next …!

5 Likes

I have similar experiences. Read them at @airbnbcoach Ebook.

You need to accept only positively reviewed guests. I have over 100 guests. I’ve met just two of them. My places are super basic. You can’t ruin anything.

Get a damage deposit.

Raise our price.

Certain people have more questions. Maybe the farther they are away from their home country the more questions they have. Learn.

Contact me if you’d like coaching on hosting.

So far, this poster has insulted Jews, Arabs, Thais, Chinese, old people, Americans, Germans (who may be “not real Germans”) and shower lovers. I would flag her posts except that I wait with horrified fascination to see who she insults next …!

@Malagachica RIGHT.THERE. WITH. YOU :joy:

There are groups most hosts, probably, tend to shy away from Stag/Hen dos, 10+ guests sub 21, kids coming to party, etc are the ones for us. But this has nothing to do with nationality or race. I could give a crap if 10 people under 25 are American, German, Spanish, Etc, because I will most likely decline them. We have a zero tolerance for partiers regardless of race. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Susanne Chen - I am just curious about your kitchen arrangements, and how you can remedy your problems. Do you not allow the guests a use of your kitchen? Do you not allow them a coffeemaker? I would not even show a photo of a kitchen if the guests have no access to it. (I could be mistaken on your kitchen rule, but I could not quite understand) If you do not want them to use your kitchen at all, then I would advise you to make this very clear in the first few lines of your description, and additionally in the “house rules” and “guest access”. Personally I would not stay in a place with no kitchen area, or at least the basics AND a coffeemaker and microwave. But, there are people who think differently, and that is fine.

The shower issue has been address several times and I think all touch on the same important concept - spell out the rules clearly, often and firmly. To specifically list different nationalities or races here as people you would not rent to is bordering on zenophobia.

1 Like

I think you don’t understand what happened…There are some big cities, they are very expensive, especially in the peak season. Many people can not efford one night in hotel. So they prefer to sleep on the floor. They bet you to let them to sleep on the floor of your home. They said what they need was just one bed to sleep. But when they enter your appartment, they see you have very good equiment. They turned to be excited, and think they are the host of the appartment, coz "Airbnb says “The guest will feel like at home”.(I hate this slogan actullly. That is not realistic. You will never be like at home if you don’t. At lease you should buy an appartment. This stupid slogan drives the guest having crazy and extremly greedy asummption).

House rules? You must be joking? Asian people don’t like to obay rules. Rules will get them angry. The thai girl who took 2 hours shower one day in my home and after having warning her 2 twices not to go to my private area and using my privites things. She got angry and gave me 1 star for every comment saying: i think you are too strict, i don’t feel like at home. And I swear next time when i met such people i raise the price 3 times!

Is it 10 euros for a 30 minute shower where you live? I don’t see how you can make any profit with expensive water. Do hotels in your area have limited water usage? What about the other Airbnb listings in your area?

I read that Thai people often take 3 showers a day, and at the minimum 2 showers. And it is not considered excessive if they take 4 showers.

1 Like

@cabinhost - it’s common to have two showers a day here in sweaty Florida too. And I just saw that @Chen_Susanne complained that guests turned on the heating because it was 22C. That’s only 71F and when it’s that temperature here I have the heating on, plus socks and a sweater. :sunny: