Late arrivals for guests in home

You’ve really pinpointed the issue Ellen. We did have some guests arrive late one time that let themselves in unbeknownst to us, and they seemed clueless as to their loud talking through their open bedroom door and how it effected the other guests sleeping nearby. Some wine (and probably too much of it) before arriving was likely responsible, but it made us realize that we can’t just expect that people will all let themselves in quietly after a late arrival and care enough to be quiet and not bother other guests. Many people have a professional bnb or hotel experience in mind where they expect to arrive and everything is (relatively) soundproofed, which as we know is not really possible in a real home without rebuilding. So we find that it’s important to show people in, let them know we need to keep voices low because of other sleeping guests, and also give the basics of a usual check in.

Due to having five different rooms on Airbnb, a relatively large home to navigate (I got confused when I first stayed here trying to find my way around), and other guests that might be disturbed, a self entry just doesn’t seem viable. If it was simpler I can see that it would make sense. We are not worried about a bit of noise ourselves, but we do want to make sure other guests are not disturbed by guests that haven’t made an effort to get here in a reasonable time. I understand that self check in works for others, but I am asking for help with my individual set up. Ellen, imo and Cabinhost have given great tips, without just suggesting that what works in their particular arrangement should also work exactly in mine.

Yes, this is a problem and I have waited up numerous times for people, even when I have to get up early and go to work the next day. I don’t feel comfortable with letting them come in on their own since I live alone and want to actually meet the person before I see them in my hall in the morning.

I feel like it is part of this job and we are competing with the hotels who will let people check in at any hour. Eventhough guests check the time they will arrive, traffic is often unpredictable.

1 Like

Yes twoworlds, that’s another reason we greet - it is scary having a complete stranger creep into your home late at night. If others are doing that, you are a more trusting person than I. our history with guests has proven they can’t be trusted, and even this past guest that came late, I needed to be there - she talks FULL VOLUME in the home after midnight when it is plain and obvious that others are sleeping, and I am speaking in whispered tones. Some people are entirely inconsiderate of others and only aware of their own needs. I would never trust that guests care about others after my experience doing Airbnb, because unfortunately my experience doing this business has taught me just how narcissistic many people are. That’s has in fact been one of the greatest shocks, and one of the reasons I have to explain to guests like theyre a little kid ‘it’s late and others are sleeping, so we need to keep our voices down’, and other things I would have thought were obvious.

Never a problem. My listing is for 1 large guest room in a shared home. So it is only me at home. No other guests to disturb. But your point is well taken. In the case of multiple rooms, my liberal late policy would cause problems! For sure. I had some Indian guests arrive at midnight, and they really didn’t seem to get the idea. Made a god awful racket and 3 of them showered between midnight and 1 AM! Yes, that was my one BAD late check IN!

Yeah we’re at the same in our flat.

This is one of the most frustrating things for me as a host. What do you use for keys?

There are a lot of key handoff and check-in options that can help you avoid any hold ups like these (because, as you know, delays do happen…and they can happen often, especially when you’re dealing with travelers). Here’s an article that includes a bunch of check-in options that do not require you to wait up or even be present at all when the guests arrive, so that you don’t have to stress about timing but you will also keep the guests happy with efficiency and by alleviating them of any need to rush over to you.

I hope you find it useful, I really do think these types of key approaches can save you a lot of headache and inconvenience

I disagree with you about it being part of the business. We are not hotels with 24hour receptions.

5 Likes

Another person that didn’t bother to read about how our particular unique set up isn’t suitable for a ‘key hand-off’, and nor are many other hosts homes who have guests staying with their families in their houses or with other guests and know from experience expecting guests to find their way through a large home, lock up, turn off scores of lights (such as it takes to light the way to a room in a large home), and keep quiet enough not to wake other guests as they go on an Easter egg hunt through a large home to find which room is theirs (when there are five other guests rooms, bathrooms, sitting rooms and other rooms to adventure through on the way).

Delays aren’t the problem with my guests that arrive late. They already know they are working late the Friday they have booked in with me (or every Friday). It’s just that they don’t bother to mention it to me until the last minute ‘oh! Whoops! we couldn’t leave until 10pm, and now it’s your problem, even though we booked on the premise that we would arrive before then’. We are not hotels, and invariably the guests that behave this way treat us as hotel staff and our home like a hotel. It’s a bad omen from the get go.

Of course it’s fine if you aren’t there to bother (or anyone else for that matter). It is amazing to me that everyone seems to think that every host has the same kind of Airbnb - a second apartment or home that they are using. This is not the only or indeed the typical set up.

3 Likes

Hi Sara Danielle,

For a lot of us hosts, it doesn’t work to have guests let themselves in.

We get a lot of guests from different cultures who need to be shown how to use the most basic amenities (shower, stove, doorknobs, etc.). Also, if you have multiple parties of guests it is necessary to monitor their interaction. We only have one party staying with us at a time. Once, we had a guest check in early. He asked the departing guest to go out with him three times. If I hadn’t been there the departing guest might have felt scared instead of just uncomfortable.

2 Likes

James, I’ve had so many issues with midnight or middle of the night showers that I put it in my main set of rules… And would you believe someone still did it last night? Right after I told them not to, and explained how the water pump wakes me up… Also they rolled in at 10 when I need to go to bed early because I work as a sub teacher and need to get up at 5:30. Going to be much more emphatic in my rules that they must text their ETA…

I like to greet them if possible so I can collect the tax and show them the main things. I have far less trouble if I can actually show them things.

1 Like

Hi Ellen,

I totally understand - it was just a suggestion, perhaps one that’s not relevant for everyone. And that story is a little unsettling! I hope everything ended up okay!

What we really need to do is set a strict set of rules, follow them if you want to book with me, or book a motel or hotel! It just means we lose some business if we set strict rules. Air BnB was about peer to peer sharing. We have a room or flat, they need a room or flat, we get together through Air BnB and hash out a deal. So we should set the terms, guests don’t set the terms. They have hundreds of hotels and motels gladly take them at 2:00AM, let them shower till 4:00AM and play the TV loud.
We should not get dragged into being main stream commercial Bed and Breakfast [I worked in one and know the differences], or motels. Any guest seeking motel treatment should book one.
Make it crystal clear that you follow rules to book your room, and that is it. Move along, this is peer to peer, if I don’t like the peer seeking my room, they can get a motel! Yes? isn’t that what we should be about on Air BnB?
Guests can go to large or fancy Commercial BnB’s all over America. Or they can booking tens of thousands of Motels and Hotels.
If they seek a peer to peer , one on one, personal experience with a host, then Air BnB is for them. Fit in, make friends, enjoy your hosts knowledge and hospitality. I do so good on Air BnB because I give the personal touch to every guest, I meet their needs, and provide an insiders knowledge of the area, where to eat, where to hike, when to come to avoid crowds.
I hate motels and hotels, they are lonely sterile and banal. Air BnB, if you do it right, is a wonderful way to meet locals and get a nice room.

4 Likes

Yes James, this is all true. Unfortunately I admit defeat at the moment. As I’ve said here over an over a three year host with 97% five star reviews, but I just can’t get guests to behave in this way in my home. I am worn out feeling like the poorly treated maid. Oh yes, the reviews are effusive. I’m so welcoming! My home is so beautiful and comfortable and everything is amazing! So why am I feeling so bad?

Guests refuse to follow my rules. No matter what I do the guests treat our home like a hotel and us like hotel staff. Sure I could try a little harder, set stricter rules that say if you do this you’re out on your ear so that next time a guest doesn’t arrive at a reasonable time/is rude and inconsiderate/doesn’t bother following rules/stains bedding but a. Airbnb would not support me expecting my house rules to be followed, and b. I wouldn’t have any guests anyway.

Pretty much all of my guests are NY’ers, or should I say people that have moved to NY to try to ‘make it’, and most are caught up in themselves and have lost the ability to be considerate of anyone else if they possessed it to begin with or don’t think there will be anything much in the way of repercussions if they choose to ignore most of the house rules.

It just gets wearing after a while. I guess you could say I am burnt out again. We don’t need the money this bad.

Can you switch off the water when you go to bed? Switch it on again at 5:30! inconsiderate b’stards!

1 Like

James. SO WELL SAID!!! Thank you. WE set the terms. Not the guests! If guests want to take showers at all hours of the night, they need to stay at the Marriott, where the nightly room rate is at least $250 plus tax and mandatory “resort fee” of $30 per night to cover parking and wi-fi.

I could not believe my guests jumped in the shower after midnight after I explicitly told them not to and why. Unreal.

Imo. LOL!! No. I don’t think that’s an option… you have to have water for your guests to flush and brush their teeth, etc…But I have felt like shutting off the damn water…:slight_smile: (but then I couldn’t use it upstairs.) Just follow the damned rules, damned guests. Sorry for swearing but my ire is up. :slight_smile: I think that they think because it’s a self contained studio they can do as they wish regarding the water. Piss me off.

2 Likes

I think its sad that people have few manners these days . They seem to think its a hotel.
We have had some really seruios problems and had to ask guests to leave. The case workers are nice but often young ad untrained imop. They ALWAYS put the guests first and thats wrong.

1 Like

What sort of wording did you use in your house rules.I’d really would love to know, I’ve had the problem with late night showers as if it’s nothing at all, not considerate in my mind.

Minkie:

“Please finish showering by 11:30pm, as late showers in the studio wake us upstairs.” Have not really had an issue with it since.

Could you add a rule that says late check ins will be charged x - a bit like late check out fee. I have asked airbnb to add a late check out box a bit like cleaning fee so if you think this is a good idea perhaps you can message them too and ask for additional boxes such as late check in / late check out.