Kind of upset over a 4 star rating---heard this one before?

Solid grounds for divorce in my book.

3 Likes

As for 4 star ratings, I’ve had them before, but I just had one that gets to me. They’ve dinged us on cleanliness, and we clean all the time. So I don’t know what that’s about. And in their written review, they’ve said that the beautiful breakfast strata I made for them with home made bread, eggs and milk of course, two kinds of cheese, onions and swiss chard, fresh thyme from our porch garden and breakfast sausages, was a “simple yet delicious” breakfast. We served that with fresh mango, three types of juice and coffee. Simple yet delicious to me would be store bought bagels and cream cheese or the like. Grrr!

6 Likes

I want the strata!!! I’ll give you 5 stars for sure.

4 Likes

I was thinking what that can mean and my conclusion that overall stay us based on how much a guest enjoyed his time during the trip. Really it has nothing to do with us hosts

4 Likes

I agree with Yana - frequently guests’ reviews are more about their overall trip experience and not about the accommodations. We just have to manage that in our response to their review.

2 Likes

Well, not really, but all of these examples brought up some very funny memories! :wink:

2 Likes

Has this thread been hijacked???

1 Like

Yes, it happens all the time. And it’s fine. :slight_smile: Just chat, and the subject gets discussed again over time.

1 Like

Yes but it was time.

1 Like

And a marvelous book it is…truly one of my top must read and rereads. Love in the Time of Cholera is no laggard either.:grin:

1 Like

Ditto!!! feeling bummed. I have almost 100 five star, and 2 4 star and today i got my first 3 star. kinda my fault tho, i have guests that asked to put their perishables in the fridge (they were checking in at 3 pm) - a back to back - i guess they got there early (the reviewer never said what time) and the current guests felt rushed and were mad. I wish i could respond about the situation … but know that often just looks like whining, so i just said “many thanks”. Their comments were nice that were public, just the rating of a 3 star…

So wine sounds good for both of us!

1 Like

There is a potential problem with lots of 5 star reviews - Guests have (possibly misplaced) expectations! Nothing a Host can do about that, except try to manage those expectations - and that’s not easy, as mind-reading certainly isn’t part of my skill-set :wink:
We can never be all things to all people. All we can do is our best. If you did your best then there’s nothing more you can do.
Asking for her suggestions on what it would take to have a 5* home is perfect. Her response can help you, if you can put emotion to one side and be objective. (You didn’t mention what the feedback actually was.)
You clearly do things right for the vast majority, so give yourself a big-up for that!

3 Likes

You exactly put it correctly, we had a couple of 4 star reviews over nothing, you just need to out it behind and have a drink, await the next guest. You’re doing all perfectly fine so far :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just got a review from a guest praising me and the flat extensively in both public and private feedback. But they gave me 4 stars! I don’t get it… For the first time I’m tempted to write to a guests and check whether there is some kind of mistake. This is my second 4* in a row so I’m really thinking of doing it, as I realized there are many hosts out there begging people for stars and writing to them in order to check whether there was a mistake in their grading… And then I end up feeling as a fool for not being able to get Superhost.

1 Like

"Its a lovely place. Paul is nice!"
Also the shortest review that I ever got.

If you do write, I would recommend that you thank them for the 4 stars and ask them if they have suggestions on what you could do to bring your ratings to a five star level rather than ask if there was a mistake. You likely will not get a response as I didn’t, but who knows!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this suggestion! This is a great way to phrase it. If there was indeed a mistake, they’ll offer to correct it themselves. If not, I didn’t lose anything and it just sounds as I’m asking for more feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a very helpful review, especially as you’d asked! Oh well - time to move on and let it rest? Loosing sleep over it won’t make it any different.

1 Like

A 4star review I received because the place was “dusty.” The place is immaculate thought I, so I queried the guest as to how they arrived at this conclusion. On top of the ceiling fan said they, (for which you would need a step ladder) Up the ladder went I after dragging one in from the store, and sure enough, a thin haze of dust. Mortified! I determined in future not to invite guests who are over 9 feet tall.

12 Likes

4 stars only because as reported to AirBnB “there were ants in the bathroom” Horrified we scurried over to search for ants. A week now and not one single ant. They probably heard that we were coming and are waiting for the next guest!

5 Likes