Kind of upset over a 4 star rating---heard this one before?

Oregano is one of those words. Pronunciation difference is huge.

1 Like

I forgot that one! OreGAno not oREGano.

ā€¦we will have to politely disagree. :wink:

Food ways are serious business.

2 Likes

Oh no my dear because the stress is on the the first syllable :slight_smile:

And MY favorite pronunciation of a word by British speakers is ā€œpalm treesā€= PAM trees. Like short for Pamela Trees. :))))

1 Like

If ā€œLocationā€ is such a subjective thing - ie the guest chooses the location of their accommodation and if they donā€™t then like it itā€™s their fault - then why donā€™t we just all get together and say to AirBnB that they should drop ā€œLocationā€ from their list of rated factors? Or am I missing something here?
PS and itā€™s ā€œHerbsā€, NOT ā€œ'Erbsā€!

5 Likes

Lol Not quite. We say Paaahm. But yes silent L.

Thatā€™s a new one for me. All these years and I never realised that there were different pronunciations of favourite. What are they?

Iā€™ve never heard ā€˜palmā€™ pronounced as ā€˜pamā€™ either. It rhymes with ā€˜harmā€™ in English. I think you might be thinking of another English-speaking country!

Iā€™ve had British roommates. They both pronounced palm tree as Pam tree.

1 Like

When you say British, I doubt that they were English. Scottish maybe? Welsh? Irish? But the English definitely say parm to rhyme with harm.

Northern like Liverpool? ā€¦they say bath where I say baaath. So maybe they say pam ~ really Iā€™ve never heard anyone say palm that way ā€¦ @jaquo

You donā€™t put the stress on the first syllable?

Ah that depends on where youā€™re from, though! Paarrm is southern, Pam is northern. Like bath versus barth and grass versus grarss .
See what I did there? lol

Nope. Iā€™m as Yorkshire as they come (as is 'imself) and neither of us have ever pronounced it ā€˜pamā€™. (And being in South Florida, itā€™s a word we say quite a lot. And Iā€™ve never heard it pronounced ā€˜pamā€™ anywhere.

Yes, we say ā€˜bathā€™ and not ā€˜barthā€™ but I still think that @J_Wangā€™s room-mates were Scottish or something. Think David Coulthard at Monaco or Dubaiā€¦ :wink:

Thatā€™ll be it :wink: From Glasgow, I wager.

1 Like

You know, I think you might be right! Iā€™m imagining Billy Connoly nowā€¦

Even Scotland has so many accents. Billy Connolly might well say pam but then there are those Scots who would make the word roll of their tongue for half a minute, like ā€˜paaRRRRRRRRRRRRmmmmā€™.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right about all the different accents but in Scotland nobody ever puts an ā€˜rā€™ where they ainā€™t supposed to be one! Cue very old joke:
Q. What does sex mean in Kensington?
A. The things into which one puts the coal.

1 Like

Cue real story about me from Yorkshire at college in the south of England. Weā€™d had a pretty untidy practical lesson and were clearing up. My friend from Tooting Bec asked me a question.

Friend from Tooting Bec: Whereā€™s the bin?
Me, quite innocently: I 'anā€™t bin anywhere.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

In America (at least where I live) palm rhymes with balm.

2 Likes

Same as in England :slight_smile:

1 Like