Keeping bedding and towels clean

Over the weekend I tried getting some stains out of white towels and was not successful, but the stains were not fresh, so that’s probably the main issue.

I despise white towels, so I use colored ones. In each bathroom is a matching set of towels, mostly dark ones. I’ve had too many stained cream towels to suit me. I also use patterned sheets. There is nothing worse that hair gel or facial oiliness or other semi permanent stains visible on the pillow cases or fitted sheets.

1 Like

I agree, makeup is a nightmare had that problem today when checking out a guest, makeup covered the pillows.

@Alan1 Thanks for the Costco tip

Why do people paint their faces?

1 Like

I think white linens give more of a professional/ hotel feel, colored linens a more homey feel. I bought white for my listing after using colors for the first 2 years, thinking they would be easier to keep clean. But after just 3 months I have stains that won’t come out. This includes a now dingy washcloth that was still wet when I started soaking it. A single guy was staying in the room and I’ve no idea what the dinginess could be. Makeup, shoes, and other things suggested in this forum don’t make sense. Then I got another stain in a towel that won’t completely come out. Again, spotted right away and have tried oxy, bleach and stain removers. I think I’ll go back to using colored towels.

Just saw this on the BHG website about washing and folding towels - interesting read with a little video on folding. Here’s another video on how to fold a fitted sheet. Looks like she’s fighting with an octopus.

2 Likes

Hello there - first post!

I haven’t read through this entire thread so this twist on staining towels may be in here already.

I have the opposite problem, I use all colored towels and invariably I get a guest who uses some sort of personal product that causes bleaching thus ruining the towel and anything it comes in contact with (i.e. they lay a wet towel with product on it on the bed which transfers to the sheets and causes bleaching there too). Just like staining with make-up etc. it ruins the item which now must be relegated to the rag pile. To make things worse in this situation you generally can’t tell there is an issue until the item is washed and dried and even if you did you can’t treat it because it isn’t a stain. No way to get it out without the bleaching occurring. Ugh.

I’m thinking of putting up this sign in the bathrooms just to remind people. I know it’s not intentional on the guests part but I can’t afford to replace linens after only one use.

Please use white towels located in hall linen closet for personal products that may cause bleaching/discoloration of colored towels.
Thank-you

Any thoughts on this idea?

3 Likes

White sheets/towels aren’t always an option. My rental is in a rural setting and is on a well/septic. It is impossible to keep whites white. They will always turn grey over time no matter what you do. I use colored sheets but they are pastels.

2 Likes

Yes I agree actually. My original sets that are now almost 3 years old are starting to lose their gleam no matter how much bleach I use. But I will replace them with the same as people here just don’t like coloured sheets :slight_smile:

That caused me to scream bloody murder at my screen… :smiley:

I’m on a septic, have been for many years and have no issues using bleach. One of my first guest’s had some sort of cream in her face that ruined a deep purple pillowcase with a white blotch. I use white sheets, but pair them with bright duvet covers and pillow shams. I tend to use salt and cold water to get blood out, you need to use a strong concentration, but it breaks down the blood cells.

Bleach will cause your linens to yellow. But three years is a good innings for bedlinen! Try using Mrs Stewart’s bluing. Hanging stuff out on the line in the sun can work wonders too as the sun naturally bleaches.

2 Likes

Yep, I am about ready to take the older ones to the charity shop and buy new :slight_smile:

1 Like

White all the way! I have cute sheets with strawberries that match the comforter in one room, and gray polka dot that match in my second room. I’ll be very sad when they are ruined but I know the day is coming. I’ve had a runner “grease” up then go run and come back and take a nap. Ruined sheets. A guest washed her face with some nasty bleach product then proceeded to go to sleep and ruined the pillow case. Almost all my colored sheets have been ruined so I’ve gone to white and bleach :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quick update. I have stopped using bleach as a few people have told me that that can actually cause white linen to turn yellow. And it has. I just started using a product called Vanish, not sure what it is in other countries, but in the USA I think the equivalent is Oxyclean or some such. I never bought into the sales pitch, but dayam, this stuff works bloody miracles. Sheets that I was ready to toss out, are now back to gleaming white. I am truly amazed.

2 Likes

I also use OxyClean in every load and think it helps. There was a post by @dpfromva with a link that provided a lot of evidence that few things besides bleach really kill germs in laundry. So, there’s that.

I leave out all white towels with one black wash cloth and just ask guests to use the black cloth for make up. :yum: works most of the time.

I’m no expert, but it seems like white bedding and towels is asking for trouble.

Why? I’ve used all white for years both at home and in the rentals.

Right, and there is a reason that the true experts that run hotels use white bedding and towels.

3 Likes