Is it common to make the beds?

Yes, this happened to me, too. A friend brought a friend for a couple of nights, who was very into conserving water (California drought). He thought it would be a good idea to sleep under the comforter only, no sheets or blanket. I had to wash the comforter. He was also conserving water by not showering often.

3 Likes

We have a sofa bed in the living room that sleeps a third person. The place looks much nicer if the sofa remains a sofa when people check in. However, folding the sofa up with the sheets on it starts to rip little holes in the sheet. So I don’t like to make the sofa bed up and then fold it; I’ve been leaving the linens for it (aside from the mattress protector) near the sofa. No one has dinged us for it, and thus far everyone seems to have used the linens, but I don’t really like making guests make up the extra bed. Thoughts??

I think it is reasonable to let guests know exactly what you’ve just said about the sheets getting holes. It’s a benefit to guests that you offer the option of housing the third person, so having to make up the bed isn’t a big deal.

We even had to do this when booking a multi-room suite a luxury hotel last year. At first I was a little miffed because we paid an extra $20 a night to use it, but it was soon forgotten (well, until now…). :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Arlene,
We have the same situation in our airbnb. I always offer to make the sofa bed for our guests and show them where the sheets, pillows are kept. This allows the guests to choose whether they, or I make it up. All guests so far are usually happy with this and often do it themselves.

1 Like

My perspective is a little different. I used to make up the beds fully but then I read somewhere that guests know the sheets are clean if they are folded at the bottom of the bed and have no way of knowing whether you changed the linens otherwise. Added to that my family also rents a large home in Maine every summer and we always make our own beds with the clean sheets at the bottom. I think for me I don’t have to wonder where the sheets are clean in that way. Anyone else have this reaction?

I think that makes some sense if it’s customary in that market (like cottage rental in New England). A rental like mine it wouldn’t make sense because I get lots of one nighters. No one wants to spend all day driving and then come in and make the bed.

I have 530 5 star cleanliness ratings. If you are still wondering after reading that then I don’t see what folding sheets at the end of the bed would change. People can fold dirty sheets as easily as clean ones.

3 Likes

You should make the beds! As a guest I expect that beds will be ready for sleeping.

However, I think that your rate is probably too low (use an anonymous browser window to check rates in your area). I have always had a 2 night minimum stay as well as a cleaning fee since I started ($45, because that’s what my backup cleaning service charges when I can’t turn a room). If I didn’t have a 2 night minimum I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the laundry for 3 rooms.

1 Like