Instant Book cancellations

I also put in big letter: no children and pets but the problem is that as we determined here people don’t read rules. So they don’t look for specific box and they don’t read the rules, the solution would be just to have a button that asks about children and pets like in all other sites . Good idea. I wonder if Airbnb has a suggestion box

2 Likes

Dcdoomney, I am being specific Only about kitchen and laundry use. I don’t want to put too many restrictions unless it’s instructional like to use certan appliance. So far it worked very well. Instead of rules I rearranged things so it is self explanatory. I hated the fact that guests through my white blanket on a floor until I realized that they don’t use it at all. They threw it on a floor bcs it’s hot and they have nowhere to put it. So, instead of saying " do not throw blanket in a floor", I brought a chair , folded blanket and put it on a chair. Now if they want it they can use it. Since the day I did, it stays in a same position after 30 guestts😀
I am also not a big fan of using expression like " be respectfull". It’s vaque and broad and for me a bit intimidating. But again, it’s just me, may be some people do not think twice about it.
A big deal for me lately became check in, check out times. People come at all hours without asking and booking half an hour before they’ show up at the door. If they did it within check in, check out times I have no problem with that as room is always ready by 3 pm. But one girl booked me at 6 am and wanted to come right away while I had other people still sleeping.
That’s the disadvantage of IB, people often use it for emergencies.
I started calling people as soon as I receive reservation. It works very well . Even if they are surprised that they can not come right away they find things to do and have no complains about the situation. But then you need to be close to your phone at all times

3 Likes

You can state it nicely… I say: Two guests max. Not a good fit for babies or toddlers but I can take one adult and one older child."

Yana I love the blanket on the chair story! Good one!!

And I have learned too, to turn NO phrases into positives… Liquids only down the disposal sounds friendlier than NO PINEAPPLE, FISH BONES, MEAT OR DINOSAURS DOWN THE DISPOSAL!!! Know what I mean? Instead of a laundry list of what they can’t put down, just tell them what they CAN… Liquids only.

Same with additional guests… “only your approved party of two allowed in apartment or on property.” Rather than NO ADDITIONAL GUESTS OTHER THAN YOUR APPROVED PARTY.

Instead of NO LATE OR MIDNIGHT SHOWERS!!! You can say, Please finish showering by 11:30 PM. (Thanks to Cabinhost for that one, it’s worked great since I added it! :slight_smile:

It’s subtle, but I think using positive phrasing when possible is really helpful.

2 Likes

I wonder if they risk being illegally discriminatory if they make it that clear… NO CHILDREN ALLOWED… Not sure… just wondering???

So I’m the guy who puts up with stuff most of you wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole! Remember the bags story? Lol!

Its worked out so far with some minor inconveniences.

Well, I recently received what I thought was an inquiry for a month long stay from someone who indicated they were coming with their spouse for a medical procedure. After some inquiry I did what I thought was a pre- approval - it turned out to be a reservation confirmation, as they had just directly sought reservation and not request to book.

Long story short, after accepting, I find out that it was a man with heavily pregnant wife, coming to deliver at a nearby hospital, and after the delivery they intend to come back and stay at the house for a week.

Lol - talk about being deliberately economical with information!

Anyway, I was no doubt entitled to request airbnb to cancel, but we decided to just go on and host them anyway. So far it’s been over a week and it’s alright. I guess things will get dramatic after the baby arrives and then comes “home”!

Lol! I’m just laughing thinking about it! This airbnb thing. Who would have thought…

2 Likes

AQ…

LOL! You do get the most unusual situations! Not only are you a long term bag depository but you are an expectant mum nursery service center. :slight_smile: Yes, it’s a medical procedure but they left out a lot of details!

Why on earth… would they need that much time to have a baby and recover from it? Why not do like everyone else and stay in the hospital and go home!!! When I had my twins I was in the hospital for about 5 days, and then ANXIOUS to get home with the babies to my own house. There’s going to be midnight feedings you know. The baby will need to be fed every couple of hours right at first… You know that, right?? :slight_smile: And normally they cry when they wake up for a feeding… Just to let you know. LOL. :slight_smile:

Has me wondering if your guests are some of those Pregnancy tourists we hear about? Like they fly into a country to have the baby there so they are a citizen of that country?? Are they foreigners?? Where are you again? I thought it was England?

2 Likes

Hehe, what a story !!
I have a story too coming up with my today’s guests. My husband said : I wish you were that patient with me as you are with guests , lol

2 Likes

Kona when we had a rental property I was told in our own home we can discriminate anyone.

Yep Kona.
Pregnancy tourists :smile:

1 Like

Just as long as they don’t ask AQ to feed the baby or change it’s diaper…

1 Like

Wow. That’s just way too much. How could anyone imagine that is appropriate? I honestly believe that needs to be reported to Airbnb. Leaving out information so crucial as that the puts hosts in such an uncomfortable position is really unfair. I truly hope you leave an honest review so they don’t do this again to hosts (turning up after booking for 2 with squawking baby in tow saying ‘oh, it’s sleeping with us so it doesn’t matter’). Less than honest and straightforward guests that lets face it, take advantage of hosts need to be reviewed properly so other hosts are aware. It can be kind, just an honest review stating what occurred.

1 Like

DC… Haha, good one! AQ will have to add that one to his rules.

No nappy or bottle services provided. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OMG – I highly recommend that you put down some protective layer over the mattress pad if someone is coming to your home after they have their baby!!

People are so weird! LOL!

2 Likes

I totally agree.Furthermore IB “ON” should not be the default setting for guests. If you choose not to use IB, it will not appear in guests search. I feel I am being forced to use a feature that for several reasons I don’t like at all.