How to get a guest to leave

I recently had a guest who broke numerous house rules, TOS, and policies. I am looking for advice should something like this happen again re how to get the guest to leave with the least risk and damage.

I rent a hole home. I live 45 min away. I have security cameras and a remotely programmed look.

If I call Air will they instruct the guest to leave?

Will the local county (small mountain town) sheriff go with me to see that everyone leaves and oversees the process?

What have folks done before in a entire house rental situation. The rental was for 2 nights, the party started 3 hours before checkin on the second day.

I’d like to know what rules were broken. I’m sure you are talking about rules that were written into your listing and agreed to. What you need to do is talk to Airbnb by Twitter or phone. As for the county sheriff, I don’t know.

I would show up, walk in, and start cleaning, laundry etc.,

Yes, I would just show up and be calm, kind of brisk and matter of fact. “You’ll remember from reading the listing that checkout time is xxx.” Then send a confirming message via the platform to cover yourself with Airbnb.

1 Like

Just wondering if you can clarify - if this was the 2nd day of their rental did you mean the party started 3 hours before check OUT? Or did they arrive early on their check-in day?

Oops. It’s a whole/entire home not a hole home.

I’m not asking about getting them to leave on time. I’m asking about getting them out of the home a day early because of footage from the security cameras.

The cameras document a lot. Over twice max occupancy (6 vs 15), weapon brought and shot, trespassing on my neighbor’s property, party, etc.

Party started in the afternoon on day 2. Reservation was for 2 nights.

Security cameras are a must for whole-home rentals (I cannot believe I went for so long without one). But you definitely know more about what is going on at your home with them there, so you either feel more secure about the group or a lot of stress while they are there.

I would assess and react to each situation as it arises. If you consider something a small item you might either let it go, or text or call the renter to ask what is going on and remind them of what your policies are. For instance, we’ve initiated a “no smoking” policy mostly because I don’t want people going outside late at night for a smoke and their conversations disturbing our neighbors. Our last rental had people outside smoking at night - but they were always alone and they didn’t throw cig butts on the ground, so I didn’t say anything. If they had been talking I would have contacted the point person to remind them not to.

If it were more serious, like party noise outside after hours and disturbing your neighbors I would drive there WITH SOMEONE ELSE or possible another 2 people, and deal with it in person.

For something very serious where someone is breaking the law I’d involve the police. Yours involves firearms, so I would not arrive without the police and ask them to help you get rid of these people. There may be a possible arrest there too. In Canada you must have a license and when you get one you’d be certain that it is illegal to fire a weapon on someone’s property. I imaging your gun laws are much more lax, though.

3 Likes

Hi @HiddenHaven

To be honest - I really can’t believe you didn’t ask your partying guests who disturbed your neighbours to leave straight away when they started partying in the afternoon rather than letting it go on into the night with them shooting guns on your property endangering themselves and others.

You had more than enough grounds to cancel the booking and get the police involved if they were using firearms (presume of course you have a house rule about these not be brought to/used on your property) and going onto your neighbours property.

More generally, going forward I am against Airbnb hosts using their local police as a free resource, if they have problems getting guests off their property (unless of course a criminal offence takes place). I work in the public sector and so much of time is taken up with our health, fire, police and ambulance service being called out on issues that don’t relate to what they do; ambulances being called out for someone with period pains, a fire service because someone is drunk and can’t open their door, police being called out to civil, rather than criminal matters. I really wish we could charge people who waste their time.

Anyway sorry will get off my soap box.

It’s great you now have CCTV so you can spot problems early on.

If I was asking Airbnb to cancel a guests booking and asking them to leave ahead of their booked check out time, I would go over there (take a strong friend with you) to make sure they didn’t carry out any retaliatory damage and checked out on time.

Part of being a host is dealing with the difficult issues.

I don’t know how your criminal justice system works and whether your sheriff would go with you. You would have to ask them. In the UK our police wouldn’t get involved as it would be a civil matter.

3 Likes

Nip it in the bud, as they say. Next time I’d be right on it–immediately. Call them. Contact Airbnb, then get in the car and drive there if you feel the situation requires it.

I’d also call that local sheriff and ask them to do a drive by.

Did these guests cause any property damage?

1 Like

Yes. Working thru Airs resolution center now.

Oh yes. I think I remember reading about your incident. Ugh. Hope it turns out OK.

I would be reluctant to call the sheriff to do my job. They have more pressing things to do.

If they’re shooting guns and trespassing I would call the police.

4 Likes