Horrible month with Airbnb and its getting MUCH worse!

The guests love our 11 year old Bichon-Poodle mix dog. Old and young alike, they all end up giving him a lot of free attention and he just adores it!

1 Like

Thank goodness your guests arenā€™t charging you for paying attention to your dog! :grin:

1 Like

The things is, Faheem, that you canā€™t simply add your listing to social media and expect it to get attention. When you think about it, I imagine that 75% of hosts are regularly bunging their listings up on Facebook - and boring their ā€˜friendsā€™ with it. (And social media is so much more than Facebook :slight_smile: )

No, what you have to do is get an article about your listing in a travel or lifestyle online magazine. Then itā€™s not you promoting your listing, itā€™s more a case of ā€˜look what a travel magazine wrote about my placeā€™.

Iā€™ve mentioned before that when I have gaps to fill, I promote one of my articles and this doesnā€™t seem like blatant self-promotion. And if the article is by a third party, it implies that the third party has been your guest and is speaking from experience. Another idea is an article such as ā€˜Top 5 Things to Do in Mumbaiā€™ or similar which seems to be non-promotional and informative - but has your listing details in the article.

You have to think your way around the problem :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @jaquo,

Thanks for the clarifications. Iā€™d have a hard time writing an article called ā€˜Top 5 Things to Do in Mumbaiā€™. Now, ā€˜Top 5 Reasons to Leave Mumbaiā€™, that would be a doddle.

But if I can think of anything interesting to say about my home, Iā€™ll try to write a short blurb about it. Ironically, thereā€™s probably quite a lot of interesting things about it, but things like history and records arenā€™t exactly my families strong suit.

You really should be teaching a course on this stuff. Iā€™d take it.

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry Faheem, just looking at my to-do list here, thereā€™s an item called ā€˜write about Faheemā€™s placeā€™. :wink:

You crack me up @faheem. I dare you to take on this assignment: Walk the 1 mile to your visitor center, and ask the nice people what the top 5 things are to do in your area. Then bring back all the brochures you can get your hands onā€¦lol.

1 Like

OMG. Actual walking? (Shudders.)

2 Likes

Faheem, what @cabinhost suggests is a very good idea though with one caveat. From your description of the area outside the walls of your compound, I would be concerned whether walking to or back from the visitor center would be safe for you.

Perhaps you could take one of those jitney cabs that I see in Indian movies.
I just saw a wonderful non-Bollywood (yesss!) movie, ā€œAmalā€ featuring those mini-vehicles. Very efficient through traffic.

1 Like

I knowā€¦thatā€™s why I called it a ā€œchallenge.ā€ - lol. Maybe we should create the Airhostsā€™ 30 day challenge for all of us. :smile:

It might take me 30 days to figure out how to insert a king duvet by myself with no help! - burrito method style

2 Likes

This is a site where you can run a report for free. The developer of the site, Pierre @smartbnb.io, posts here on occasion and is quite helpful Iā€™ve checked out the free report so I can assure you itā€™s not a malware link or something insidious.

See this post and the thread it is in for more information.

Worried about the lack of inquiries/reservations - #41 by smartbnb.io - Airbnb hosts forum

2 Likes

I like that idea!!!

2 Likes

Ha haā€¦ Well what about good eating? There has to be some really good places to eat near your house!

Absolutely! Indian food is now Englandā€™s favourite food. Actually, it has been for a long time because Queen Victoria had Indian chefs.(Forget roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding - most English people eat Indian two or three times a week). Some time ago, it was declared that Indian food is Britainā€™s 'national dish!

I think that Englandā€™s first curry house was opened in the 1800s.

Market to the Brits!

3 Likes

Look @faheem, a group just for you!

So that is you frantically checking your listingā€™s ranking and spamming my server? :joy: Thanks for the heads-up!

2 Likes

I just went to Mexico to see empty restaurants, beaches, bars and boats. Its slow everywhere, all over the world.
People just dont travel that much during these 2 months:September and October. My 2 long terms that promissed to stay until November ran during huricane, and one of them is coming back tomorrow, another just split, and never paid me for that week since she did not stay here, she said.
One room i rented out right away for 2 weeks through Air. ANother still sits empty. Not a single phone calls or inquiry for the past week. And its been like this all September. I left my calendar not blocked just to see how it will go, since i rented through Craigs list.
Its just slow times. We have to live through them, and plan accordingly for the next year.

1 Like

Facebook, ugh. And thereā€™s an Airbnb group for Bombay already. Itā€™s mostly dead and quite useless. People make a forum, not technology.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

Look at this link. Ten minutes to research, another ten minutes to make the pageā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks, @jaquo. That looks great. I wish I had some actual restaurant suggestions to make. Maybe I should ask my guests. There was an American lady who came through who said she read blogs about Bombay restaurants. Maybe I should ask her. Actually, I could email all my past guests and ask them. Maybe a few would reply.

And I suppose I could write something about my place. Maybe a couple of paras. Let me try.

1 Like

that. is. awesome!!! Well done!