High Maintenance Guests and Reviews

Please review him honestly and if you wouldn’t recommend him, then give him a thumbs down.

7 Likes

My mouth is agape after reading your post. Why oh why didn’t you say no to the shaving mirror, shoe polish, laundry service? I would have but then you are probably more polite than I am, I would have given him the Bronx are you talkin to me? Please review him that his needs are more suited to a hotel than Airbnb and that you do not recommend him. Are you Brits too polite to say no? Haha @konacoconutz, I think you might be on to a new business idea! Airbnbutler

5 Likes

Ha - I’m a Brit and I know exactly what I would have said :wink:

3 Likes

Haahaha…I love the part where he asked if you had cheese and you told him No!

I think certain types just try to push boundaries. I would just say you think he would happier staying at a hotel and give him the thumbs down.

3 Likes

At a hotel he would pay for cheese, laundry, shoe polish, well maybe not a shaving mirror whatever that is but he would also pay way more for the room. And when I stayed at the park lane hotel I think the crumpets were far from free!

3 Likes

A shaving mirror is a magnified mirror which sometimes has lights.

Exactly! The last time my husband and I stayed at the Omni, he spilled something sticky all over his nice pants. It was $7.50 to launder the one item. We were in a super-expensive mini-suite and they still charged for all the extras. And I’ve seen shoe-shine kiosks at the airport, but they charge a few bucks for the service and you usually leave a tip. Why on earth would I provide all these things for free?

3 Likes

Still have questions about how to word your review?

I recently moved out of my Air house and into my own home which is about a mile away from my rental. I got a text message at 7:10am asking for full cooked breakfast at 7:30am. I told him my alarm does not go off until 7:30 and to help himself to fruit salad and cereal!

5 Likes

LOL!!! Was he joking!!!

Nope, he had a golf game… I was going to tell him where he could stick his clubs, but I fell back to sleep :innocent:

1 Like

What is a shaving mirror? Is it just one of those mirrors that stands on the counter and it has magnification and some lighting? Because it sounds like this is something that perhaps I should consider putting in my bathroom.

Hold on! So this guy was renting out a whole home. And then he texted you to cook him breakfast? Were you supposed to come over with a bag full of groceries and start cooking up a storm?

Or was he planning on arriving at your house to eat? Oh please do share. :smile:

2 Likes

I had an inquiry once from guests who asked for breakfast service and daily cleaning in my whole, separate apartment. :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

After booking they asked this?? If so, just how did they ask for the breakfast part? What if you were a lousy cook :grinning:

Just where the heck are they entitled guests coming from? Makes me think other hosts have provided this and they keep expecting more and more!

2 Likes

@konacoconutz I think you’re 100% right. There’s an education gap that’s missing in the whole Airbnb experience. It’s ok for each host to have their own style and offer whatever they like, but it’s not ok to expect (demand) the same cookie cutter experience from one Airbnb listing to the next. I really do feel that Airbnb needs to put more effort into bridging the gap between the hotel user and the Airbnb user. Maybe sugarcoat it with verbiage like “how we roll in the sharing community”. Would love to see a whole campaign about THAT!

4 Likes

Yes, basically. It doesn’t have to be as fancy as you describe (lighting and magnifier), just a movable mirror that allows guys to shave outside of the shower and see what they’re doing.

I hear where you’re coming from. Airbnb should subtly make guests aware that we aren’t hotels with staff to cater to a guest’s every whine, I mean whim, but we are rather private homes with nice people offering for a substantially reduced rate, some comfy accommodation.

1 Like

So wondering how honestly to review my last guest, my first high maintenance guest. The guest is airbnb host (!) with good reviews, based on the reviews appears to provide full bkfst in his/her listing. Before booking asks how far to nearby hotel for mtg. I Google the answer, but am I, a concierge? Right after booking I get a call asking what I provide for breakfast, even though my listing clearly states self-serve tea and coffee, kitchen available but clean up after yourself. Next question was who else is at the house — so mentioned adult offspring and cat and dog (my pets are clearly described in my listing!), then says they are allergic to cats! Tried to reassure that pet dander not major since floors are all wood, but wtf? A host who doesn’t read? Then yet another phone call asking about parking (again in rules) and if I keep yogurt in the fridge ( I said no, since it’s not for guests), said they would pick up some items for breakfast but do I have milk they can use! Then arrives at 10pm, knowing I got out of bed to greet them and went back to bed, soon knocking on bedroom door asking for wifi pw that somehow isn’t getting thru on text, the next night knocks on bedroom door at midnight asking if we have a printer! Doesn’t clean up in kitchen. It is all I could do to be civil to this guest, who seemed to expect 24hr hotel amenities at 1/3 the price.
Any one of these questions alone would not be a big deal, but one after another…was just too much! What do I write?

2 Likes