Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

very much true! there really not that expensive either. On the aside, what do Americans etc use ? do they just use coffee makers etc??

Best just to keep it aside and when you learn you have a guest from the UK, NZ or Ozzie etc then you can pop it out. It really is just a given (for most Commonwealth citizens) and I donā€™t even think about a kettle not being in a kitchen (obviously not the case everywhere!).

(Iā€™m from New Zealand but currently living in England)

Most use tea cattle. But the first time I saw it in US when people use a pot to warm up a water and also microwave. One guest said: you donā€™t have a microwave ? How am I going to warm water for tea? We have a tea kettle!!

BThe warning part was a bit over the top. It sounded like you starting campaign about this guest.
I am sure she is as you describe her. I still believe that both parties : guest and host should be civilized and make piece not war.,
Stay professional is the key in any business. And I Can admit that I Was guilty of loosing it only to have it back fired at me later on. I learned from it.
I left twice " bad" reviews for my guests. I listed just facts , no emotions, no capital letters.
I had a guest few weeks ago who quite trashed the room where he stayed only 1 night. It was obviously rented for romantic night with his girlfriend. Condoms, popcorn, empty bottles, spilled juice on even walls.
I left him an ok review, but then in private message politely described the condition he left room in.
Guess what few days ago, he booked with me again. The first thing he did is appologized and said this time he will be sure the room is left in order.
Honestly it was very awkward for me.
He left room all cleaned, and appologized again and gave me all 5* review. I am sure I will see him again as he is local and probably just looking for a place to rent for a weekend to spend time with his girlfriend.

Are you sure your complaining guest was targeting super Hosts? It just make no sense to me why would she even pay attention who is super host or who is not. I travel many years with Airbnb and It was the last thing on my mind to even notice who has the status of super host.,

1 Like

Hi there, I donā€™t want to start a new thread for a problem that sounds similar, so here goes: I have guests right now who are packing up and leaving. 4 things happened: 1) when they came in they forgot the unit number (even though it was in a very recent text). They messaged me while they were wandering around the buidling; 2) they messaged me at around 11 pm asking how the television worked, saying it had worked the day before but wasnā€™t working now. However, as God is my witness, the message came in at 6 this morning. It came through on my phone and woke me up. 3) they locked themselves out at around 5 pm yesterday and messaged me to let them in. Again, I didnā€™t get the notification (altho that could be that my phone was recharging). They said they knocked on the window (ground floor flat) and were let in by other family members. I gave them multiple sets of keys; 4) around 9 last night, I came to say helloā€“i could see all the lights were on (literally) and thought they must be in. They werenā€™t.

They just seem very disorganized. The television was operational as of the last guest, although I said I would check it and issue a reimbursement if there was a problem.

No idea what to say about these people. They were nice, but obviously needed a lot of hand-holding.

After I had few episodes with lost keys, forgotten keys, I invested in key less box and itā€™s so much easier now. I think, I paid 120$ on Amazon. Itā€™s so convinient. I had to leave work to open for guests who could not understand which key is for what. Now, I just text them code and thatā€™s all.,

1 Like

Iā€™m in a condo building, so have to be mindful of other ownersā€™ security. I did ask the owners whether a combo lock would be possible on an outside door, and it was voted down. I do have a magnetic keybox which I will put outside with spares, but honestly, they had four sets, one for each person staying. This is the first time this has happened. I just donā€™t know what to say about the frequency with which they had issues. I honestly donā€™t feel I can say a lot thatā€™s positive, but they werenā€™t horrible.

1 Like

Kirsty,

I am not sure what most Americans use but I have only used a small pot to boil water on the stove, and then transfer the hot water to a mug.

I did end up purchasing a stove top kettle that whistles for safety reasons. Itā€™s too easy to forget that water is boiling on the stove and walk away. What is the purpose of an electric kettle?? - to keep extra water hot for a second cup of tea??

I think the purpose is because itā€™s more convinient to pour, and itā€™s been around for centuries. Also, sanitary reasons. We use pots for different purposes, and if not washed properly, grease can get into tea.,with tea kettle we know for sure that there is only clean water, nothing else.

1 Like

yup! the kettle at my work is on the go ALL the timeā€¦ and my past few guests had about ten cups (each) of tea a day. I love green tea and Iā€™d have on average probably about 4-5 cups a day.

2 Likes

You donā€™t have to leave a review for everyone you know. I had a guest like this recently. She was an absolute sweetheart, but a clutz and totally clueless. She lost my snorkel gear, broke dishware and while she was here, dropped her iphone in the ocean. I didnā€™t have the heart to leave her a bad review.

By the way, a guest who is nice but needs hand holding would not be considered ideal by me, and based on your description here, I would personally decline that sort of guest. They were disorganized and careless, despite being ā€œnice.ā€

Yana,

It never even crossed my mind someone would think a pot was not clean. I guess JonYorkā€™s Australians must have been thinking thatā€¦maybe. I guess I donā€™t know anyone who drinks more than one cup of tea in a sitting. Maybe one in the morning and one at night. My mom drank herbal tea but never more than 1 cup. She always used a small pot. I never even used a tea kettle until my partnerā€™s cousin gave him her extra one to use for the rental. It didnā€™t have a whistle so I decided to upgrade. Not even sure why I decided not to purchase the electric kettle one. It could be because the kitchen countertops are made of wood, and maybe I thought the heat would go through if guest did not use a trivet?

Kirstyā€¦do you guys in the UK think the same about pots being used to boil water? - there might be left over grease? Letā€™s say you only wanted one cup of tea, and your host used a potā€¦would you be grossed out?..lol.

Just know that from my stays with friends in England, the sort of stovetop kettle Americans use is considered ā€œuncivilized,ā€ even possibly ā€œbarbaric!ā€ :slight_smile: The English rush to their electric kettles the minute they enter their homesā€¦ no matter what the hour. My friends and I would come in, even at midnight, from a night on the town and the first thing to happen, after turning the key in the lock is to switch on the kettle.

I bought one when I returned from my first trip to England and have been a believer ever since!

2 Likes

Some people are very distracted and poorly organized. If it was nit malicious I would letā€™s it go.

1 Like

We have an electric kettle (US) and have for years. Iā€™d never go back to having a kettle or pot on the stove, lol!

I may add - also have a kettle for guests from Asiaā€¦

1 Like

Just chatted to my other half about this and we both think that no itā€™s not that the pot might be dirty itā€™s just a bit odd using a pot in the first place (because everyone has electric kettles/jugs here). Itā€™s a waste of power or gas in my eyes using a oven top/Hobbs. Electric kettles have lines inside where you fill too for the number of cups you want to boil for. The whistle kettles arenā€™t really used here either.

1 Like

2 Likes

Lol thatā€™s very true. The same can be said for nz & oz but more so for tea in the uk!

Does the electric kettle get the countertop hot? If anyone sets a hot pan on the wooden counters or leaves wet beer bottles/glasses overnight, it leaves permanent ring marks or permanent white circles. I knowā€¦I know, wooden countertops need to go. But I have to deal with it for now.

No it doesnā€™t - its like an electric toothbrush charger with the kettle being the toothbrush

1 Like