Guest who continues to bring in unauthorized guests...review help requested

I just noticed all my egg puns! Haha. Sorry if my posts have been a bit scrambled lately. :laughing:

9 Likes

I have found them a bit pollyanna-ish and sunny side up.

1 Like

Better than hard boiled!!!

Iā€™m the opposite. I like fresh eggs from a farm so much; I consider them to be a precious resource. One time my husbandā€™s uncle brought me some eggs from his friendā€™s farm. They were so delicious they should have a different name from store bought egg. I made a pound cake which tasted incredible. On the other hand, I donā€™t mind washing out a pot.

2 Likes

Totally off topic but on the topic of eggs, I was/am blown away by the eggs in the states in that they have to be refrigerated. Apparently its something to do with washing them and stripping a protective layer off. Most of the world doesnā€™t do this! Hence why your farm fresh eggs tasted better ā€¦

3 Likes

When visiting England I was was shocked to see unrefridgerated eggs in the market, and then at my friendsā€™ house. He insisted they were safe, by I marveled!

Yeah i can imagine you were!

Is that why theyā€™re white, because theyā€™re washed? I assumed they bleached them for some strange reason

No. The breed of the chicken determines the color of the eggs. Different parts of this country value different colored eggs. In New England, brown eggs are more desirable, while in the Southeast, they prefer white eggs.

All eggs are covered in farm debris right after laying, and for some reason, in this country, they are then power washed before packaging so then they have to be refrigerated. A total waste of energy in my opinion, but no one seems to care what I think about commercial egg production.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks for explaining! Iā€™ve never seen eggs pure white like that anywhere but the states.
Conmercial egg production really bothers me. Things seem to be taking a step in the right direction here as one of the major supermarket chains has just announced that soon theyā€™ll only be stocking free range eggs. Hopefully the others follow suit. Still, free range standards leave a lot to be desired.
I try and get only local eggs which come from places I know look after their chickens. Luckily we have an abundance around here!

1 Like

Those were eggs-cellent.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s an article about egg washing in the U.S. It is required of egg producers with 3,000 or more laying hens as eggs from producers that have a lot of hens in close proximity are more likely to have salmonella.

Regarding egg washing affecting the flavor; thatā€™s not my experience. Iā€™ve purchased eggs many times from the farmersā€™ market where they are not refrigerated. They donā€™t have nearly as much flavor as eggs from a farm. I think it has to do with what the chickens eat.

Flavour has to do with diet; chickens fed a high quality diet and allowed to roam (thereby no doubt snacking on a fair amount of worms and grubs) make tastier eggs.

2 Likes

And this is why as soon as possible Iā€™m making my husband build a coop and weā€™re raising chickens. Weā€™ve just been too broke to do it yet. But I always buy my eggs direct from a free range farmer when possible.

I have chickens at home and give all my guests free range eggs. They get the eggs that were laid the day before their arrival and on a long stay they let me know when they need more. My funniest review was from an Asian group that left their review in Chinese. They raved on on about the eggs and nothing about the house.
I have a few rescue hens from an awful eggs farm. These hens had never seen grass let alone run free or met a rooster ;-).

They made a study of the other birds to copy what they doā€¦ they have just had their new feathers come in and the very sad looking hens now look very nice and they have this free range stuff down pat. I think they know they have landed in chicken heaven

4 Likes

I absolutely LOVE this story :slight_smile: It reminds me of that wonderful film Chicken Run! Any chance of a photo of these lucky happy hens? Iā€™m also envious of all the lovely eggs you will be having. Itā€™s a long while since I ate a freshly laid egg, sigh, the taste is incomparable even to shop-bought free range ones.

3 Likes

One of the rescues looked so bad I called her Vultureā€¦bald neck, no feathers on the top of her wings due to the cage being too small. She now looks great, but I know which one she is by the look in her eye. They all come when called and put themselves to bed in the evening. I just have to shut the door. The other thing they do to them is trim their beaks - these are cauterised so they donā€™t grow backā€¦ they now sharpen the bottom beak on my brick path. They are determined to be real chickens

2 Likes

12 Likes

Itā€™s not that I mind the washing up, itā€™s that itā€™s so disrespectful, ā€˜here clean the dish I used to cook the food I stole from youā€™. Normally I wash a lot of the guest dishes by choice if Iā€™m in the kitchen at the same time.

Iā€™m regretting driving 1hour each way to buy 3 doz eggs from a farm for my last guests (even though I donā€™t provide eggs for breakfast) only to discover this am they stole my virtually unused jar of instant coffee. I did notice them using 20 pods of coffee a day (I had to start rationing) but didnā€™t notice the instant until today as I donā€™t drink it. What rats and itā€™s too late to change my review!

Coincidentally, why are farm fresh eggs so hard to peel when you boil them compared to older ones from the supermarket??? Itā€™s a mystery to me

1 Like

Older eggs have begun to pull away from the protective membrane and hence, are easier to peel. If you ever plan to make a huge number of hard cooked eggs for egg salad, or deviled eggs, you should buy eggs a week before so reduce the frustration of peeling.

5 Likes