Guest who continues to bring in unauthorized guests...review help requested

Oh no, talking about yourself in the third person is the first sign of madness. Next you will be conversing by asking questions of yourself and then answering, another pet hate. “What do I think about your post? Well this is what I think? Do I like your post? Yes I do I may even click the like button”…

1 Like

Was your question meant for me Emily? The above is a quote from the OP’s rules.

I’m so with you on that one. My poor husband has to listen to me griping about grammar pet peeves. One of the top ones is people who interview themselves.

1 Like

No sorry, it was meant for the OP as it didn’t make sense to me, oops!

I have something simliar with my present guests. They are over visiting their daughter who is studying here. They have brought her around every evening. (Even though my rules state 'dont bring anyone back who are not part of the booking). I overlooked this as they are so friendly. However this evening the daughter has been using the shower facilties. I feel this is taking liberities! I havent said anything as they go tomorrow, and I was rushing out, but im wondering how to word it in the review?

Have you said anything to them in person or via messenger? Because if you have and they’ve still done it, then review. But you shouldn’t enable them to misbehave and then shock them with a bad review. People don’t read. It’s our jobs as hosts to be on-site and correct bad behavior.

If you have mentioned this: “While I enjoyed hosting these guests as they were very friendly, they invited their daughter over daily despite it being against my house rules to have non-registered guests on my property.”

If you haven’t said anything: “While I enjoyed hosting these guests as they were very friendly, they did not read or ignored items in my house rules.”

Same information, but a little more vague and forgiving. It warns future hosts to ensure these guests know and comply with the rules.

5 Likes

I agree with this wholeheartedly. To me, it’s equivalent to a guest who doesn’t mention an issue that could easily have been fixed at the time and then slams you about it in the review. Not fair and not nice, in other words.

In this situation, @sunshine1, I’m guessing that because you all got on so well and because you let the daughter’s visits slide, these guests felt like the rules didn’t apply to them and got overly comfortable. It’s a common occurrence! The fact that they didn’t ask if it was ok for her to take a shower is not acceptable at all, though. Personally, I would put a comment about it in private feedback to them rather than in the public review. But it depends on how they leave the room, I guess!

5 Likes

I agree…what they did was definitely taking liberties. When the daughter was first brought around, I would have mentioned it to the guests at that point. They probably would have apologized and said they didn’t realize.

As for the review you could mention they were good guests other than having a family member over who was not part of the reservation. Or you could simply mention that in the private feed and ding them on stars for house rules.

2 Likes

Yes, like @konacoconutz said, leave the review vague on specifics but clear they didn’t read the rules. Hosts don’t care what rule was broken, just that it was broken. Leave specifics in private feedback. Rate truthfully on stars. Thumbs up or down based on how you feel.

1 Like

I agree so much with this. We all know, and often complain, that ‘guests don’t read’ so it’s highly likely that they didn’t know that they were doing anything wrong. In this case too, it was their own daughter who was in the rental and not some random hookup they’d picked up off the street.

Every host is different but I would have mentioned it to the guests when I first saw the daughter - something like ‘oh, this is your daughter, good to meet you. You know, having extra people round is against our house rules but I’ll turn a blind eye in this case and of course, she won’t be sleeping here so there’s no extra charge’.

That just me though and I’ve done it several times with the result that everyone has been happy and the guests have been grateful that ‘breaking the rules’ hasn’t had a negative impact on their stay. In my case, an extra person for a few hours doesn’t cost me anything and only a minute amount for one extra shower.

Most times I’ve mentioned it in the private feedback (‘other hosts might not be as lenient!’) and dropped them a star for house rules.

4 Likes

Thanks guys. Youre all correct. To be honest bringing the daughter round wasnt a huge issue, it was just when she took a shower this evening annoyed me. Cant believe some people have the cheek! I wouldnt dream of doing that, especially sharing with a host.

1 Like

Not sure that I agree with this. I would want to know what rule was broken so I can make a judgement on whether it is important for me. Some hosts are very strict about things that wouldn’t bother me at all, for example, and vice versa. I think the facts should be stated clearly and dispassionately so it’s fair for everyone.

3 Likes

Yes, I would too. If guests don’t take the garbage out that doesn’t bother me in the least but if they are loud that really does. Although our rules say that the apartment sleeps only two people and extra guests aren’t allowed to stay overnight, I have bent my own rules and let them have a family member sleep on the sofa (with my permission and as long as they don’t expect extra bedding and towels). Some broken rules bother me and others are really minor niggles so I’d like to know which house rules were broken too.

I have a rule: park in the circular part of the driveway. I have a picture that states it. It says to do that 4 places in my listing. The reasons are 1) not need to park in the street when I have room for 2.5 vehicles in my driveway without blocking my garage doors. 2) neighbors across the street park some of their cars in the street in front of their house. If my airbnb guests park in the street it might inconvenience a neighbor unnecessarily and who needs that. When someone breaks that rule I knock them down a star but I don’t say anything. When someone parks probably isn’t an issue for tons of hosts. If they leave the lights on when the check out that isn’t nearly the same as having unpaid guests or making noise at 2 am. It’s not rocket science.

2 Likes

Exactly. I could care less what guests do with their car as there is no parking here and it’s not my responsibility. But making noise and annoying my nice neighbours or not cleaning up after yourself in the bathroom - that’s an issue for me. However, it is a question of respect ultimately.
@Sarah_Warren, I’m thinking now that you’re right: breaking rules is disrespectful, end of story. It doesn’t matter what the rules are or whether they apply to you personally as host - guests agree to abide to them when they book and when they willfully disregard them it needs to be called out.

2 Likes

I think this all depends on whether or not you believe the parents brought the daughter over daily, and “pretended” not to know the rules unless you said something. You know the type of people - nice and paying compliments to your face, all the while breaking the rules right in front of your face…

And if you mention them breaking the rules, I would want to know which rule was broken. It bothers you enough to post here. Personally, I think in a shared home it is rude of guests to just bring over other guests without checking. So even if they didn’t read the rules, it’s common courtesy to ask permission to bring people over to someone else’s home. I don’t think they didn’t read the rules. I think they just kept taking advantage of your kindness.

2 Likes

Yes I think youre right. I would want to know also what rules a guest broke- Though I would of totally over looked the daughter ‘visiting’ if she didnt have the nerve to take a shower yday evening!
I should of said something in the first instance, but i trusted them not to bring her over the 2nd night then the third…(I should know better by now)!
I was also pissed of this morning when I came back to the apt to find they had eaten the rest of my eggs for breakfast. (They had checked out by this stage). Eggs are not included in my breakfast. Very cheeky!
If I dont get 5 stars from them I will go through them!

1 Like

Well this tells me that they really did know it was impolite to have company at your house without asking. If it was clear to them what food they were allowed to eat…then they just conveniently “pretended” they didn’t know the eggs were off limits. Sheesh!

1 Like

Yep, we are very clear what we provide for breakfast. We go through it all with guests during the check in process.
Also its very clear in our rules that no cooking whatsoever is allowed.
They were complete newbies. (No other reviews). Still I now feel they have taken advantage.
Also we had to tell them countless times to lock the door after them. Sigh. I’m usually more stricter and upfront but I was just back from a months holiday and probably feeling a little to relaxed lol…I think however I will need another holiday after the amount of guests ive got coming through my doors in the coming months!

2 Likes

Did you see evidence that they cooked the eggs, or do you think they took them with them?