Guest stained mattress pad and mattress underneath

My last guest left quite a mess. That’s not a big deal. What is a big deal is that he has stained the mattress pad and the mattress underneath it ( not the sheets??) I’m guessing he ate spaghetti in bed. Or someone did. I’m afraid that if I make a claim he will leave a bad review.

Are you sure it was caused by the last guest? If so, you have until your next guest checks in or 48 hours (whichever is sooner) to request payment by the guest. Highly recommend getting a quote from perhaps an upholstery cleaner and having that as your basis for what you request.

Once all is said and done, invest in a waterproof (and possibly also bed bug proof) mattress encasement to protect from future accidents. The mattress is probably our single most costly item in the unit and worth protecting. There are threads on this forum with recommendations.

As for worrying about the review, I wouldn’t. Better to have your costs covered, especially for a spendy item. If his review is false or seems retaliatory, you can address that with Air at a later date. For now, the clock is ticking.

100 percent certain and it was our first guest that we have ever hosted. Brand new mattress! Ugh

Thanks for your advice!

Does not look like any kind of Italian tomato-based stain to me (and I’m a chef who has had plenty of those).

1 Like

The stain will most likely come out with some OxyClean. Get the powered stuff in a tub and mix about 2 tablespoons in very hot water. Using a clean rag, dab the solution on the stain. Let it air dry if you’ve got time, or take a hair dryer to it to dry it more quickly.

1 Like

FOLEX !! A great product. Comes in a spray bottle. I got mine at a Home Hardware in Canada. It took red wine stains completely out of a white carpet. Amazing. Good luck in getting the stain out.

1 Like

Oh don’t tell me that😖

1 Like

Don’t let the fear of a retaliatory review keep you from claiming. You can complain to Air if they do that.

1 Like

@Angela_Darcy you need to invest in a mattress protector. Really this is a small stain and it’s a shame to put guests in a situation where they’re paying hundreds of dollars due to an accident on the bed. And that stain looks more like blood… maybe a nosebleed maybe not.

It was sprayed all over the bed so it was bigger than it looks. I have a mattress protector. It just stained through it. I will invest in a waterproof one after this. After doing our final cleaning it was determined that it was spaghetti sauce. An additional guest (who was not authorized by me) smeared sauce all over the bed, and all over the carpet under the bed. This wasn’t just a stain that seeped through under the sheets. They took the sheets off the bed and did this. And they also hid the table cloth after they attempted to bleach it.

1 Like

Oh boy poor you! Sorry that was your first experience :frowning:

I don’t have great luck so I should have planned accordingly! But it was a learning experience.

OMG! Did your guest actually admit to this or is this your best guess as to what happened? What is WRONG with people??!!!

1 Like

He said that the children were just having fun and he says it should be included in the cleaning fee. He had no reviews. That is the first and last time I will accept someone with no reviews.

I thought you said the smearing was done by an unauthorized additional guest. Now you are saying it was the children?

Can you clarify how many adults, children, etc. were in the group? Who was the unauthorized guest - a child? And did the booker actually say his children smeared spaghetti sauce on top of your bed, and on the carpet under the bed?

This is beyond ridiculous!!!

I’ve had many guests with no previous reviews (probably more than 100) and no problem. There are undoubtedly some other variables at play here. Spaghetti sauce under the bed is not part of normal cleaning. Taking the sheets and mattress pad off the mattress is not normal. In any case not only should you put in a claim with Airbnb but please leave him the review he deserves. Wait until the last hour of the last day.

1 Like

So he booked for just one guest. The neighbors snitched on him and said that there was a girlfriend and 2 kids that came along later. I didn’t mention the guests to him originally. I told him about the state of the upstairs bedroom and the damages. He then stated that the kids were just having fun. I then told him that he was only authorized for one and that the policy states that the house isn’t suitable for children because of the open staircase. He has agreed to pay for the carpet cleaning company to come clean the mattress and the carpet. It is $99. I was able to get the stains out of everything else.

1 Like

How many of you require a security deposit?

I just have crappy luck. Ha! I’ll get the hang of it. Do you require a security deposit? What are your house rules?