Guest just arrived and wants to cancel

I’m sure that’s true. As an aside, the daughter seems rather naive and the mother overbearing.

In an update, I awoke to a message sent to me at midnight about some odor in the bathroom, asking how to deal with it with one fan, the outtake fan. These people are nuts. We put a fan rated for 800 square feet in this 50 foot bathroom. We refinished the place last year and nary a complaint.

Two nights to go…

3 Likes

An overbearing mother is what I expected. It’s gonna be Mommie Dearest for the next two days. You don’t have any wire hangers, do you?

2 Likes

ha ha @CatskillsGrrl :slight_smile:

Based on other wise advice on this forum, I’ve already opened a ticket with Air to let them know the guest is trying to get out of the reservation with a refund.

4 Likes

I disagree. I think that without any further explanation, the “best served by staying in a hotel” sounds really patronizing and does reflect badly on the host. I think one at least needs to explain why a guest would be better served in a hotel.

4 Likes

And in the same vein, if one states the facts, the reader can make his/her own deduction that this guest would be better off in a hotel.

I agree with Gut. Give specific reasons why they are not good guests. Saying they are better suited for a hotel seems too general and a bit of a cop out. You’ve got some great review fodder there… let us help you write the mother of all reviews! Bahahah.

5 Likes

Good grief! They left for the day and left all the windows open. This is against our house rule which roughly states that, for security, close windows and lock door when you leave for the day.

Now I can’t leave for the day because there’s a security issue. On the phone with Air. Also concerned about going in there even with their permission because next they will claim something’s missing.

Under the circumstances, I’m tempted to boot them for violating our rule.

1 Like

SuiteinSeattle, I thought I was the only one with the very same issue that you have. I just had a guest like you…wroww…
My calendar is blocked for the next five months, no more, had enough!
Sorry you have to go true this!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that! Enjoy your break! :blush:

You already stated that the guests did not read the listing prior to booking. Now why would you expect them to read the house rules?

Experience has shown that there are some guests (quite a few, actually) who are functionally illiterate. Which basically means, while they might be able to read, in theory, they are not likely to do so. At least, they are not going to read what is important to you as a host.

Sometimes, talking to guests slowly and using easy language, on arrival, will help, in these cases.

Does repeating yourself more loudly work too? :joy:

Do you mean “repeating yourself more loudly” as in “quarrelling” or “shouting”?

I guess you should make a difference between how you treat your spouse, and how you treat your guests. I wouldn’t want to be that intimate with guests.

That’s exactly what my old mum used to do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s an old joke that when the English go abroad they just speak more slowly and loudly when someone says they don’t understand. The logic being: if I speak slowly and loudly they’ll understand.

For the record there is no Mr Zandra but if there were I suspect shouting wouldn’t be intimate at all.

1 Like

My mum used to get in a right pickle because she would use colloquialisms that non-English speakers didn’t understand. I well remember her at Koln Airport talking to a German friend of my dad’s …

‘Oh you’ll have to excuse me because I’m all at sixes and sevens today … I mean, I’m all upside down … I mean I’m all thumbs,’

Poor bloke. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL!! Hilarious !

I can imagine that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then, she said ‘Have I put my foot in it? Sorry about the palaver…’

2 Likes

Can’t beat a good idiom …

1 Like

Suite you are having such a rough go lately… maybe better guests grace your place and bad guests begone!!!

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps mother didn’t want to take a trip. A mother who complains no matter what and an adult child who makes every attempt to accommodate her. Some people are never happy. Sometimes your the pawn. At least you don’t have to live with it.

1 Like