Guest asks that we leave our home while she's here!

That’s amusing. She sounds like a barrel of trouble and one who should be black listed by Airbnb for such outrageous comments.
I had one person who asked if I could get rid of my cats while he stayed in my private room. I replied that my offer stands as is, which includes the pets. He never wrote back.

1 Like

Can’t remember - sometimes an unusual first name and occupation. Hints in their profile and reviews. The girl was a bit of a giveaway in her profile picture! I think the DJ was just so well known and had a stage name or something. After I get the name - after booking - I reassure myself with a search. Have never had to cancel based on this!

If this your home, then no, they cannot ask you to leave. We’ve never been asked this, and our guests have had plenty of privacy if they choose the stay in the home while we’re at work.

You could offer them the “entire place” for a premium plus the cost of the most expensive hotel in town for you and your family. There’s a Great Wolf Lodge in my town, so if a guest wanted our home badly enough I’d charge them enough to cover the best room at GWL.

As for renting to locals, those requests have been few and far between, but the few we do get are strange at best. I usually decline them if they’re an inquiry (we have instant book, but locals don’t usually have all the verifications completed). I did have one local ask to stay in our small guestroom with a twin bed that sleeps one. He said he and his wife needed a place between apartments. He neglected to actually read the description and his search criteria was for one. I simply declined and said the room sleeps one. I did not tell him about the larger guestroom with a queen size bed and futon.

Never settle. Your home is your biggest investment and asset. You don’t need a rogue Airbnb user f*cking up your life.

2 Likes

I’m glad your intuition warned you before accepting her reservation request!

1 Like

Its called Recharge and we have used it in SF when I have guests in my flat but need a shower/nap/etc before dinner/theater/plane flight etc. however at $50/hr it is not cheap

1 Like

A nap and a shower can be priceless !!
I have seen the adverts for Recharge . Its mostly the Hotels down in the FIDI that I think charge a nightly of $300.00-400.00 ? With a break down of a 2 hour minimum stay . But if I could get 3 legitimate bookings like that per day I would do it . I’d have a AM slot , Midday and Late Afternoon / Early Evening . @ $75.00 X 3 = $225.00
I have the bedding already so that is not an issue and I can flip the room in 30 mins or less . So if I have a regular nightly base of $95.00 Weekdays Monday-Thursday
Thats $900.00 a week for the short stays 4 X 3 = 12 . 75 X 12 = 900

If I do a 4 day booking @ 95.00 = $380.00

Thats the math anyway . Looks tempting
but do I want a revolving door on my private home ? Not really
but if I was really pinched for Money I would seriously consider doing it for a very short time , maybe do it once a month or so .
I do have to say that I do get a lot of One Night stay guests , so I think that I really need to raise my Nightly One Night charge to have it as a Premium for One Nighters . LOL, I sound like a Hooker .

What do you think ? I’m in SF , have a Premium space already and Super Host status . Loads of 5 Star reviews . Should I do a One Night Surcharge for Guests just looking for a quick Over nighter ? Like maybe an extra $25.00 For a Single Guest . I already have raised my base price for the summer to $125.00 Monday-Thursday Single Occupancy . Add $40.00 for a second guest .

Anyone else having luck doing a 1 night minimum stay with a add surcharge ?

PS , sorry to go so off topic .
Best
J

The only way that you could add a surcharge is to:

1. charge a cleaning fee
  2. raise the room rate and eliminate the second guest fee

Thanks for the reply .

I think what I could do is just for One Nights have a Premium price and for stays of two nights or more have a price thats 10-15% less or just do a Weekly discount .
I don’t like to add a cleaning fee , as I think its best to streamline everything in terms of pricing . We have the TOT tax here in San Francisco , so its 14% . Then there is Airbnb fees . I actually like having Single guests , much easier to handle and less wear and tear .

I could offer my room for half days but with having to clean it all the same as someone staying 20 hours I can’t discount much. I would be willing to discount a little just to be guaranteed someone is only there a few hours. Airbnb should make a setting like that. I won’t hold my breath since they can’t even manage to add a pet fee button.

2 Likes

The basement?

Maybe they were planning to cook meth??

2 Likes