Do you allow shoes in the house?

@portlandgirl - (next time the @ sign comes before the username to activate the holler feature :slight_smile: )

I got em from eBay, $4.40 for 5 pairs and free shipping :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad you brought up this topic. We are in the US but have taken shoes off at the door for about 14 years - and many of our friends do have this policy. Now I automatically take my shoes off when entering a friends home.

But I know that not everyone in the US does this, and I have felt awkward enforcing it. However, Iā€™ve been thinking about doing so because of the dirt issue.

1 Like

Yes I allow shoes. The bedrooms are wooden floorboards and the hallways are old worn out carpet and kitchen and bathroom are lino.

another option is Ikea for slippers - $1.99, but I get them in red and black, so they can be reused. I think thatā€™s ok, right? When they start to show wear I trash them.

1 Like

As long as theyā€™re aware that theyā€™re on the hook for cleanup of their carpet stains, theyā€™re free to wear or not wear shoes as they wish.

1 Like

Thanks tom2!! This looks like a good idea for my daughter! Somehow she has never learned how the stealth walk, which I mastered sneaking in and out of my house to see boys as a teenager, and to check on my kids when they were younger.

Iā€™m glad I found this topic in the thread as Iā€™ve been thinking about putting a shoe rack near the door since we have carpet. And I appreciated the link to the disposable slippersā€¦hopefully most people will just use their socks.It can make a big difference in how long the carpet lasts.

@JamJerrupSunset

I need orthodic supports or within a short time walking my feet are in hobbling pain. Iā€™m a ā€œmust wear shoes in the houseā€ person too. If I can fit hose shoes /slip on sneakers in my luggage , I do but luggage space is tight.

2 Likes

Like Annet, I need to wear ortho supports, and canā€™t go barefoot anywhere, particularly on cold tiled floors; when really bad, I wake up howling, much to my husbandā€™s dismay! However, we inadvertently put a wellie boot/shoe rack in the small hallway by the front door, and Iā€™m always pleasantly surprised by the number of people who immediately remove their shoes on arrival. A few donā€™t, and if the weather is awful (like yesterdayā€¦) the mud and leaves can be dreadful. A good move was to cover the hallway in fitted coir, like an extra large door mat. And only having carpet upstairs and tiled/wooden floors downstairs.

1 Like

My room is separate and so I canā€™t control whether they wear shoes or not.

I stayed in an Airbnb that asked that we leave our shoes on the front porch. As someone who also has occasional foot pain but didnā€™t take slippers with me on the trip, I didnā€™t much appreciate having to leave my shoes outside.

We ask for shoes off. Itā€™s in our house rules, so if we had a guest who had to wear shoes for medical reasons we would accommodate but would expect they would think to let us know before they arrive

1 Like

I allow shoes in the house as well as in my Air rental but realize the majority of hosts do not. While it is courteous for guests to remove their shoes at the door, whether asked or not, it would be equally courteous for hosts to inform guests of this type of policy beforehand. I donā€™t have any feet issues but it is my preference to have casual footwear on rather than go bare foot.

I have been to gatherings and even a cocktail party where shoes were obviously required to be removed at the door. Of course I complied but it affected my comfort.

When I rented a VRBO condo (whole unit) a couple of summers ago for a month, I was surprised to see a sign at the door to remove shoes. Uh-uh, no surprises. I chose to ignore it.

2 Likes

I would probably prefer it if visitors and guests didnā€™t wear outside shoes inside. At the same time, I am not a huge fan of having people walk around barefoot inside either. So I am also in favour of providing disposable slippers like the ones @tom2 recommended. I would be too worried about foot diseases to make people reuse slippersā€¦

Itā€™s in my house rules to take shoes off. This is one of the things that really bothers me. Once a guest stepped in dog poop and we couldnā€™t figure out where the smell came from.
Especially in US people never take their shoes off. I have an impression that people even take offense when I ask them
Or think itā€™s funny.
Basically Americans donā€™t get the idea and donā€™t understand the reason why itā€™s nessesary to take them
Off. I had a guy staying in upstairs room and he told
Me that he keeps forgetting to take his shoes off as he never did it in his life before.
I started sending him pictures from
Debris he leaves on staircase every day and he was shocked to see how much dirt coming off just his shoes.
By the end of the 2 months he was well trained :grinning:

1 Like