Discrimination and Belonging email received this am

I’m concerned now about our ability to decline bookings. I’m a single woman and I share my home with guests. I’ve only declined 3 and it didn’t have anything to do with the guests but my own last minute schedule. Is this going to be a way for people to get refunds after they’ve stayed a week?
I’m not concerned about anything but my safety in my own home and being financially taken advantage of.

2 Likes

Both of you need to read the actual report, especially page 29. You are absolutely allowed to refuse a specific gender IF you have common spaces.

Here is the quote:

● Decline to rent to a guest based on gender unless the host shares living spaces (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas) with the guest.
● Impose any di erent terms or conditions based on gender unless the host shares living spaces with the guest.
● Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of gender, unless the host shares living spaces with the guest.

7 Likes

I don’t understand. As far as I know; hosts are not required to include a photo of themselves in their listing.

I rent out a private bedroom, private bath. Shared space—living room and kitchen.

1 Like

I thought we were supposed to have a clear photo?
And I sure as heck will never rent an ABB without seeing a photo of the host.
Edited to add: except Mearns island.

4 Likes

@anon67190644
Thanks so much for finding that! I’m at the office and was unable to read the whole thing, thank you!

1 Like

Here are links to Airbnb listings that don’t have photos of the host, so I don’t think it’s a requirement.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5627844?sug=50

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4047645?sug=50

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3981082?sug=50

I went and looked at my archived inbox to see who I have accepted and who I haven’t. It’s scary, almost half of inquiries and requested bookings have not worked out.

However, it’s not because I’m rejecting people willy nilly. At least 95% of declines have come because they:

• did not read the requirements and were asking for something I don’t provide
  • were asking for the wrong dates, usually because the date they wanted wasn’t available
  • wanted me to change my terms to less than 3 days (my requirement)
  • were trying to book for someone else against TOS
  • had unreasonable expectations like they weren’t going to get a car but thought I could drive them all over town for free
  • did not realize what part of town I was in and their requirements wouldn’t be a good fit

There was one person I declined because I got a bad vibe from their lack of communication.

Frankly, there were one or two guests who I did accept that later I regretted. But never because of race or sexual orientation - it was always about how the guest acted and made me feel. Since I share a home with people, if they are weird it makes me walk around on eggshells while they are here.

8 Likes

Anyone else find this part odd?? - They keep mentioning “marital status” and not “familial status”?

Airbnb hosts may not:
● Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin,
religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.

● Impose any diferent terms or conditions based on race, color,
ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or marital status.

● Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates
a preference for or against any guest on account of race, color,
ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or marital status.

I wonder if this is people who won’t accept divorced people? (I’m thinking here about the ‘Christian’ thread).

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem odd to me. I think that they are not permitting hosts to decline unmarried couples (marital status) while preserving the right to decline children (familial status).

7 Likes

I have had a slow work morning [darn clients!] and took the time to read the entire thing. Happy to be a distiller.

2 Likes

No I did not receive anything

Possible that it means gay marriage type guests?

3 Likes

I worry about the implications for experienced host that do not have instant book on, since they are pushing for it will we be on page 3 now? Frankly I am getting so annoyed with Airbnb now that I hope the competitors come out more. What about folks with disabilities and most homes are not equipped to make it handicap assessable. I can see how some guests can take advantage of this and be very spitefull like my last inquiry that I decline because of asking for a discount because my location.

4 Likes

I didn’t read the full report, but do they mention any consequences for hosts accused of discrimination? I fear not being able to freely decline anyone who makes us feel uncomfortable. That is not the same thing as discrimination.

3 Likes

I’m on IB, I got the email, I didn’t read the report. None of it affects me at this time.

1 Like

Page 32:

What happens when a host does not comply with our policies in this area?

If a particular listing contains language contrary to this nondiscrimination policy, the host will be asked to remove the language and a rm his or her understanding and intent to comply with this policy and its underlying principles. Airbnb may also, in its discretion, take steps up to and including suspending the host from the Airbnb platform.

If the host improperly rejects guests on the basis of protected class, or uses language demonstrating that his or her actions were motivated by factors prohibited by this policy, Airbnb will take steps to enforce this policy, up to and including suspending the host from the platform.

As the Airbnb community grows, we will continue to ensure that Airbnb’s policies and practices align with our most important goal: To ensure that guests and hosts feel welcome and respected in all of their interactions using the Airbnb platform. The public, our community, and we ourselves, expect no less than this.

1 Like

I see one of the categories is age. What if someone doesn’t want to host children? I could see myself not wanting to host children under a certain age, not because I don’t like them, but because the space might not be baby proofed.

Is this considered discrimination under their rules?

3 Likes

This albeit well-intentioned, ‘great society idea’ will turn out to be a royal can of worms: the confusion, antagonism, suspicions, false accusations, imaginary victimization, legal challenges and real costs to Airbnb (and needless to say, eventually passed on to guests & hosts) that this new policy could possibly give rise to, are incalculable.

Wish Airbnb the best of luck, in their new social pursuits.

11 Likes