Discrimination and Belonging email received this am

Dear Airbnb community,
At the heart of our mission is the idea that people are fundamentally good and every community is a place where you can belong. We don’t say this because it sounds nice. It’s the goal that everyone at Airbnb works towards every day – because we’ve all seen how when we live together, we better understand each other.
Discrimination is the opposite of belonging, and its existence on our platform jeopardizes this core mission. Bias and discrimination have no place on Airbnb, and we have zero tolerance for them. Unfortunately, we have been slow to address these problems, and for this I am sorry. I take responsibility for any pain or frustration this has caused members of our community. We will not only make this right; we will work to set an example that other companies can follow.
In June, we asked Laura Murphy, the former head of the American Civil Liberties Union’s Washington D.C. Legislative Office, to review every aspect of the Airbnb platform, and to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to fight bias and discrimination. Thanks to Laura’s leadership, today we’re releasing a report that outlines the results of that process. You can read the full report here, but I’d like to highlight four changes that will impact the way our platform works:
Airbnb Community Commitment
Beginning November 1, everyone who uses Airbnb must agree to a stronger, more detailed nondiscrimination policy. We aren’t just asking you to check a box associated with a long legal document. We’re asking everyone to agree to something we’re calling the Airbnb Community Commitment, which says:
We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community. By joining this community, you commit to treat all fellow members of this community, regardless of race, religion, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age, with respect, and without judgment or bias.
Open Doors
We’ll be implementing a new policy called Open Doors. Starting October 1st, if a Guest anywhere in the world feels like they have been discriminated against in violation of our policy – in trying to book a listing, having a booking canceled, or in any other interaction with a host – we will find that Guest a similar place to stay if one is available on Airbnb, or if not, we will find them an alternative accommodation elsewhere. This program will also apply retroactively to any Guest who reported discrimination prior to today. All of these Guests will be offered booking assistance for their next trip.
Instant Book
We’ll increase the availability of Instant Book, which allows our hosts to offer their homes to be booked immediately without their prior approval of a specific guest. Instant Book makes booking easier for everyone, and our goal is to have 1 million listings bookable via Instant Book by January 1st, 2017.
Anti-bias training
We are working with experts on bias, including Dr. Robert Livingston of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and Dr. Peter Glick of Lawrence University, to make anti-bias training available to our community, and will be publicly acknowledging those who complete it.
These steps are just the beginning, not the end, of our efforts to combat bias and discrimination.
While we as a company have been slow on this issue, I am now asking you the community to help us lead the way forward. Every time you make someone else feel like they belong, that person feels accepted and safe to be themselves. While this may sound like a small act of kindness, we are a community of millions of people strong. Imagine what we can do together.
Brian Chesky
CEO, Co-founder
Sent with :heart: from Airbnb

‌A‌i‌r‌b‌n‌b‌,‌ ‌I‌n‌c‌.‌,‌ ‌8‌8‌8‌ ‌B‌r‌a‌n‌n‌a‌n‌ ‌S‌t‌,‌ ‌S‌a‌n‌ ‌F‌r‌a‌n‌c‌i‌s‌c‌o‌,‌ ‌C‌A‌ ‌

4 Likes

Full report is HERE

Though I assume everyone on this forum received the same email.

1 Like

Didn t received it

I can imagine and they are already doing it, to push more and more instant booking

6 Likes

Maybe this is only being sent to hosts of properties in the USA? The entire panel was based in the States.

3 Likes

Already in the NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/technology/airbnb-anti-discrimination-rules.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

1 Like

Probably not because I didn’t get it. But I’m glad that Airbnb are doing this - although totally appalled that they find it necessary in this day and age.

4 Likes

I’m impressed by the way they subtly sneaked in that bit about IB.

8 Likes

What about guests ?

I have a guest who just arrived yesterday and I don’t know how I am going to last a month with him.

He is in my opinion a racist, he hates Arabs and Muslim’s with a passion. I don’t care what religion you are or if you don’t believe in anything, but I try to be respectful of someone else’s belief system. He is about 25 years older than me and has just such a sour attitude to people in general as well as his extreme dislike of the above mentioned.

My husband would talk to anyone and I mean anyone, I saw him yesterday making his excuses and fly off when he was cornered.

Day 2 and am hiding upstairs where he can’t come and chew my ears off

2 Likes

Hi @cassid,

That sounds unpleasant, But do you need to talk to him? Can’t you pretend to be terribly busy? But a month is a long time… I’m puzzled your guest think it’s appropriate to inflict his beliefs on you. People mostly don’t.

1 Like

I didn’t receive anything from them.

I see they are using this to force hosts to accept Instant Book regardless of the safety issues it creates by people having to accept guests regardless of their previous reviews for bad behaviour or whether say a lone woman feels uncomfortable with how a male guest is communicating.

Once IB becomes mandatory I and I suspect quite a few other hosts will stop using the platform.

5 Likes

I am sure that your could contact BnB and say the guest is expressing racist views which makes you uncomfortable and therefore you would like them to find somewhere else/cancel his booking. Personally I wouldn’t put up with someone who behaves like this for one night let alone a month.

9 Likes

I’m on IB and I didn’t get the email.

Got it, thanks!! My concerns after reading the report and the long email from Brian Chesky are regarding Instant Book, but more importantly, that guests will no longer be required to upload a photograph of themselves.

3 Likes

I can understand that. I once had a woman send an inquiry and she was white in her photograph. Once she’d booked, it changed to her real photo - a black woman. How sad - and totally ridiculous - that people have to do that in these so-called enlightened times.

8 Likes

Same here; I’m on Instant Book and I didn’t get the email. Also, I don’t require that the guest provide a photo or identity verification.

I have to say, I don’t care about the picture during booking. I do like to know what face I should expect at my front door. I think that there is an argument to be made, no pictures at all until after the booking, and then the host and guests photos appear.

7 Likes

It’s not a USA thing, because I am in the States and didn’t receive. Then again, I ignore most AirBnB email spam, so it could be I just looked right past it.

In any event, nothing to think twice about. It’s just a cover-their-asses*/image-polishing/promote-instant-book marketing thing. You cannot force me to allow any wacko into my home against my wishes. There is just no legal justification of any kind anywhere that would support that.

*Since they have millions of users, statistically there will be folks who cry discrimination. This is just to reduce any potential liability on their part in case lawsuits come about.

3 Likes

I believe that’s what Innclusive will be doing. No picture until after booking, then if the host cancels they won’t be able to rebook the same dates.

I have a regular guest who had a picture of a stuffed Tigger instead of a photo of herself. I didn’t care, but she told me that she changed to a photo of herself after she’d been denied bookings by other hosts. She told me that the reason she didn’t include a photo of herself is that she has a brother who has been convicted on weapons charges. She didn’t want him to be able to locate her.

I got the email.
In the minority here that I like to see a photo of a potential guest, after all, they can see me.
Not that I could tell that the one guest who turned out to be a scary guy by his photo, but since then, I’ve declined guests (admittedly male guests only) who didn’t have clear photos.
That’s a type of discrimination, I know it, and while that incident doesn’t consume my thoughts or anything, every once in a while when I’m going to have a solo male guest, I do randomly experience a very brief bit of panic (fear, heart racing, even started crying once, not a sobbing type of cry, just a quick few tears) in the days leading up to their stay.

4 Likes

Do you rent space in your own home? or is it a whole place?