Delays in Payout!

@Carl_P My payments are direct to bank, so this paypal story seems like just a distraction.
I doubt that’s the real problem!
Either glitches or liquidity issues, which wouldn’t make sense given the inauguration and the kind of funds they must be holding for it - unless the Hillary cancellations far outweighed the trump bookings, which could then be a problem, if they hadn’t managed their money right!

Oh and where does one find this Superhost number? I’m a superhost!

2 Likes

Yea, I don’t think it’s a PayPal issue either. When I finally do get notice of payment, my PayPal email comes hours before the ABB one does. Which was not the case before the “glitch”. I have 5 one night back to back bookings, so I’m keeping a close eye on when payments post. Let’s hope they figure it out soon…

I was sent the superhost number in my email I got telling me I am now a superhost. I just made it for the first time a week or so ago.

It’s getting ridiculous. Each of my payouts have been delayed, which has been happening for almost a week. I do my part as a host, so they should release the payment 24 hours after the guest checks in. I really don’t get a straight answer out of them other than they are working to correct the issue. It seems like it should not take this long to correct this issue. I will keep calling, emailing, etc. Very frustrating indeed.

They always blame PayPal when their payments are delayed. Have them sent direct. They get there so quickly.

I’ve been waiting for 5 days now. I have reached out to their “support” team several times today on twitter. They started out lying & telling me that the payment had been released & that I should contact PayPal. PayPal informed me their was no pending payment & that I should get the confirmation # for the transfer from Airbnb. I asked 3 different agents for the number & every single one of them ignored my request & gave me the same scripted answer that they have assigneed my case to someone & that they will get back to me soon. Surprise…that never happens. If you check out #airbnbhelp on twitter. There have been endless hosts complaining about the same thing. I just read one from a host that hasn’t been paid for a stay in October. I don’t know if the company is having cash flow issues but it certainly seems that way.

Really, I think saying Airbnb cash flow issues and that might be the reason for delayed payouts is rather wild speculation. More likely its failed software or human error both of which can happen.

Personally I’ve not once had an issue but when I do I’ll likely call them. Or maybe Airbnb decided to build a zoo in Tasmania with my payout.

1 Like

Guest checked in yesterday - Monday
Have not received the email of payment today
payments are by direct to bank
never had a payment problem ever in the last 2 1/2 years
hopefully a glitch and will be back to normal soon

Same here, my last two payments were delayed, and I use bank transfer.

Well I am sure it is failed software or human error. Perhaps Airbnb have gone bancrupt and nobody noticed yet.

I tried calling Air today (their Berlin, Germany number), on a totally unrelated issue, and had to wait for more than 10 minutes before they answered my call. I guess it’s because lots of people are calling today who didn’t receive payout.

I don´t think it is related just to Paypal. I have Payoneer as my payment method and the same happened to me. 48hs since the guest arrived and still no payment. I didn´t get the Payout email from Air and the funds aren´t load in my Payoneer account but the transaction is shown as completed in the Transaction History menu from Air.

My suspicion is cash flow issues!
Wonder what’ll happen during inauguration weekend?

Your suspicion is as likely as Armageddon taking place tomorrow.

1 Like

I just got an email by Air saying that money has now been paid. 48 hours delayed. Should be in my bank account by tomorrow; let’s wait and see.

I don’t mind the money being 48 hours delayed, now and then. But I do mind Air not telling us what is wrong, or why this happened. Why don’t they simply write an email, stating “look, we had a massive hard disk failure because some fool in our company decided to buy a cheap IT system for handling payouts, instead of an IBM mainframe, and this cheap system just crashed. That’s why your payment will be delayed”. Or something to that effect.

Because often no information is better. I can imagine Airbnb sending an email like that and people deciding that it means the company is about to go bust. Sometimes saying nothing is the right thing to do.

They don’t need to apologise for every little mistake by public flagelation.

I’m not seeing any significant problems here. I did see a bit of a delay on one payout. Usually (in my limited experience) it’s as regular as clockwork, and one of the aspects of hosting on Airbnb that actually works well.

I agree with @Zandra that cash flow issues seem unlikely. Why should they have cash flow issues? Their assets are a web site and a glorified call center, and they have the expenses associated with those. They don’t actually have any property assets.

On the other hand, we already know they are incompetent, so they’re probably just screwing something up. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Having said that, it seems odd that they are not giving people transaction information about the payouts.

1 Like

Personally I never get payput messages on weekends or public holidays. I had a guest check in last Saturday didn’t get the email until Monday, with payment on Tuesday. For me that’s normal.

The logjam is broken, my last three payouts including for the guest who arrived last night came between 10:20 and 5:10 am MST.

It seems that I always get the payout email the next day as promised but don’t obsess about when it gets to the bank. I suppose I don’t worry about it much because they are always frequent small payouts and I have no cash flow issues. If I was waiting for $3000 to hit my bank and it had been 3 days and I needed the money I’d probably freak.

People love a “conspiracy” don’t they? Here in TX there were regular military exercises scheduled and a rumor went around the right wing that Obama was planning something nefarious. This was a widespread enough rumor that our governor even addressed it. But when they are wrong, as they have been for 8 years, they never, ever admit it.

All this crying wolf is so no one notices when there is a real crisis.

3 Likes

Well of course my example was a little tongue-in-cheek. I am not seriously suggesting that Airbnb send out an email like this.

Still, the bottom line is, payment was delayed for at least 48 hours and while in my case, it was just a little over €100, for other people it might be higher sums and it can be annoying to not receive any information about what happened, if you had expected the money to arrive and needed it to buy stuff.

I just got a payment too, 24 hours after it is usually sent. So something worldwide was afoot.

Very very interesting observation, Faheem, although just for fun one day I decided to have a gander at their career openings (found buried on their website) the operation is quite huge and they have people stationed all over the world. If you were a young software engineer, you could make a killing working for a company like this. Lots of jobs too working in customer relations and marcomm. Not the call center jobs, more executive, career track positions. Most are technical.

Because we like to bash them, I just want to say, here and now, despite their flaws and faults, they have saved my home. They came along at the right time for me during the recession when my main business tanked and has never recovered, and I was able to make my house payments so much easier because of Air.

In fact, I have entered their customer story contest and hope to win the $15 grand. I will let you know if I do. :wink:

2 Likes