Damages: Collecting right documents / proof. How to make a claim on security deposit so you get money from guests or Airbnb

That’s exactly my issue. I can’t find people that will give me free estimates and esteemates that will meet AirBnb standards!

Yes, that’s why I created this post. I believe it’s a very important question to raise on social media, if we all get together. I think it a risk for all the hosts and not what AirBnb stands for. They promise guarantees but they don’t deliver when it comes to hostess facing the loss.

Yes!!! It’s almost impossible.

@konacoconutz @Yana @azreala @cabinhost @LGinNola

This is what AirBnb wrote me: “As you may know, we also don’t charge the security deposit in advance anymore”.

What??! That’s totally contradicting to what they say about security deposit on their web-site:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Btw, I had $997 security deposit when the guest booked any I made a claim for $520. I did exactly what they ask and same day guest checked out. AirBnb only got back to me more than a week later, and now telling me to go thru Host Garantee and file the police report as its more than $300.

I want to warn all the hosts! Air either should change security deposit system or hosts need to take deposit independently from AirBnb, cash or credit cards as other businesses do.

2 Likes

Look what kind of answer I got from AirBnb - what does it mean they don’t hold on to security deposit anymore? So what is security deposit? I am surprised;)

They just replied to me saying they don’t take security deposit anymore. So what is $997 security deposit in my listing I require from each guest, what for and for why?

Anastasia you have a $997 security deposit? If you do not mind saying so - how much is your unit a night? And what kind of people you normally get? Just curious.

I used to have $497 and then I raised it after the guests stained all the walls in the apartment which to repaint is $3000 in Bay Area. My place is btw $200-240 a night

I usually get good people, but once in a while…

Got cha. Not a bad idea, considering the potentially high repair costs.

1 Like

Yes but as its being discussed it doesn’t really matter if you have a deposit or not(((

That is indeed unnerving. What do they expect, to send them a video as proof? Another one for you - would it make more sense to charge more for your place, think that would be helpful in the long run?

Addendum: Why I ask. I often looked at the size of the deposit should match the inherent value of a place, and thus it should also reflect in what one charges, the higher that is the more tends to draw a more conscious clientele. Makes sense?

1 Like

I don’t think I can charge more. I have a lot of competition in my building and accross. I feel like I found a perfect pricing strategy, and the value I offer for that makes sense for the guests…

I see. So the quandary rises because of the fact that it is so expensive to make repairs to it, especially in San Francisco?

Then again you did mentioned these people were a bit of a fluke.

1 Like

Not sure about other states and cities but to hire someone to clean 2BR apartment is $120, even when its just floor, vacuuming and beddings. Not sure what are the prices in other regions.
I got 3 estimates for repainting the walls - all were at $3000 and up

It’s expensive and they are very busy, many of people I called were booked all the way till November

Wow. I missed my calling - should have been a painter in San Francisco! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know right?! I was like - so, whats your hourly rate?!)))

What did they say? $500 an hour? They put absurdly-overpaid lawyers to shame. Are some of these painters ex-lawyers who left the profession for something more lucrative? LoL

Lol I was just thinking that, I did not say anything. They all said it could be done in 1 day. How many hours? How many ppl? Anyway its not bad!)))