Creative Scammers

I hope that they don’t. Incorrect capitalisation and poor grammar help us spot the scammers!

3 Likes

Man, you’re lucky…I never get opportunities like this! This is even better than that offer from the Nigerian Prince I got bequeathing his entire estate to me for a mere $5000!

Can you forward me their information please? I’d actually like to pay them to stay in my place if possible…

8 Likes

:smiling_imp: DECLINE!

I am receiving this on 27 June and I live in South America, You want to stay at my place en route to Rome? Well, if that’s the case ok.

We get bloggers and Instagram “stars” asking to be comped fairly frequently. We will comp but, the article must have a tremendous reach.

I would investigate if they were for real or not. Getting their names and take a look at their Facebook profile, YouTube profile and Google them.
If they actually were for real, I would let them stay with me for free for a couple of days at the most.

As my day job I run a package holiday company. I’ve lost count of the number of bloggers and wanna-be journalists who contact us offering lots of coverage in return for free holidays. In the early days I used to get excited about these “opportunities”. Doh. Not one has come to much, most ended up with nothing at all. Unless there’s a well known TV channel or newspaper behind it, I now always decline politely but ask them to keep me updated on the fruits of their project.

A pair of those called the BSTravelers (stands for Budget Savvy but the other meaning was accurate as well) actually had the stones to post on this forum. They’ve been doing nothing but traveling, blogging and giving advice on how to rip off Airbnb hosts for almost 4 years now. I guess lots of people fall for their BS.

2 Likes

Omg, those awful people. Let’s not give them any more ink.

I’m not giving them ink I’m giving Chrissie and anyone else reading this a heads up. They are stll traveling and their most recent posts were in Chicago. They aren’t just ripping off beach hut owners in Bali now.

2 Likes

Thanks for this heads up. I think the ink worthwhile. Such stuff is beginning to happen here too sadly.

Thanks for this heads up. I think the ink worthwhile. Such stuff is beginning to happen here too sadly.

I agree it’s worthwhile highlighting it - a scam lasts only as long as it’s not recognised as such.

Unfortunately, in a world where YouTube vloggers and bloggers are seen as the next celebs, then any Tom, Dick or Harry jumps on the bandwagon looking for freebies in return for a mention in a video or a post on a blog no one’s actually heard of or bothered to read.

1 Like

This! The barrier to entry for blogging/vlogging is so low. I especially like the ones who try to piggyback on this forum where we are all “blogging” our experience and tips for free. Like let me click off airhostsforum and go to your site (inundated with ads and affiliate links) to read the same thing that’s been on the forum for years.

3 Likes