Controlling Behaviour? Am I becoming neurotic?

That was me in Darjeeling. One bucket of water allowed a day :slight_smile: @GutHend

1 Like

What supplements this? It sounds as if drought is actually a threat to your ability to airbnb?

Our tanks are fairly large. Minimum size in here is 10,000 gallons. If you run dry you pay a trucking company to haul it to you.

There are an amazing amount of catchment tanks here. Most of Puna is on tanks. Many mountain places are on tanks. A good portion of South Kona.

I don’t think you are overreacting or neurotic. I am a super host and have been for a long time. I generally get great reviews. I rent a room and bathroom on the main floor of my house and a separate apartment in the basement. My freezer and the electric panel are both in the basement. I store clean sheets in one of the closets in the main floor bedroom. In my description I tell potential guests for the main floor that I request that they leave the bedroom door open when they leave so that I know who is in the house. I also state that I may go into both the basement and the main floor bedroom as needed. This is my house and I want to make sure it is well cared for. Guests do stupid things like leaving a ground floor window wide open when they are out, leaving the heat jacked up when they are out or, as you experienced, leaving dripping laundry where it will damage wood. I tell guests that their toiletries should be in the bathroom and food should be in the kitchen. I don’t allow disposable water bottles in my house. They are a disaster for the environment and clutter up the spaces that I have taken great care in decorating. That rule is also in my listing.

My access to the spaces I rent can also be an advantage to the guest. I find things that need replenishing or change the flowers. One time I had a business guest who was here for a gift show. He had worn a pair of nice khaki shorts to set up his booth. He had left them spread out in the closet and left the closet door open. They were fairly soiled, and I thought that he probably wanted to wear them when he closed down the booth so I washed and ironed them for him. He was most pleased.

I think it is strange when people want privacy for their suitcases and clothes. When you stay in a hotel the staff have access to your room. That is why hotels provide safes for your valuables. I have only had two sets of guests who had objections to my accessing their space. One set gave me a bad review and the other was a couple with whom I became friends. We worked out a schedule for my going to the basement.

I am not running a flop house and I assume that you aren’t either. I have participated in the shared economy for decades before Airbnb existed (even before the internet) both by home exchanging and hosting couch surfers. I think I have reaped great benefits by trusting other people but these people are guests in my beautiful home and I will continue to keep an eye on their use of it. Good luck.

1 Like