Changing my hosting style from 1 day min.to long term

Not long ago, we were approached by a couple companies regarding possibly drawing a contract for an as-needed corporate rental. Whether an employee was staying or not, they would continue paying. Unfortunately, it would have meant a couple thousand dollars in cancellation fees for future bookings, so it wasn’t right at the time.

all of them lead to managing companies

This would be my only concern… That the long-term tenants over-stay on an Air booking.
How do you handle the lease? Once they reach 30 days and you extend?

You are right. The short term stays can be much more work and hassle!

I like your idea otherwise and think it makes perfect sense for you!

I heard it was two weeks in Florida! Have not come across any squatter cases in Florida, but I wonder how many hosts know that?

I really believe that some hosts eventually may find Air such a burnout that they return to long term tenants. It’s very pro tenant here in Hawaii though, and doing that kind of scares me. I make more on a yearly average on Air, even if I do have seasonal gaps like right now.

1 Like

They have an option for private owners to post.

We signed agreement that they will stay until 17th of August, and then company wired me money for 1 month, and on a 17th of July i should receive the second payment.
We did not go through AIr, it was a funny story, i went out and started talking to these 2 guys, and they told me they are here for work and staying in Extended stay hotel and its awful. So they want to find a house, and its just 3 of them ,may be will be 4. And i offered them mine. I thought they were not serious, but what do you know, they called me the next day, and 2 days later moved in. They were so happy that there is also a pool. But in a beginning i thought they only need 1 month, but when we started doing lease, this when they told me its 2 months and may be more. I still can not believe it.

1 Like

Yes, but when i click on it they still take me to all the management companies. I will try again, thanks

Sometimes small gaps are a good thing! It means more time for your family. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My family at the moment is just my husband who is never home:) After so many years together he doesn mind having less of my time:). ALso presence of guests does not bother me. This time my husband is away for a month, guests from one room left for a weekend and i feel kind of lonely in this big house all by myself.

1 Like

We have booked both long and short term stays and prefer the longer term guests despite making less money. We have only 1 suite but having and keeping Superhost status is a lot of work. Our longer term guests have been doctors spending a month or so at the various hospitals here, couples with a 2 year working visa who need a place to find a place, and relocating couples who are trying a new life in a new place (Ireland, USA, other Canadian provinces). Vancouver is a very attractive city with a very low vacancy rate, so we ask long term guests to sign a tenancy agreement so we are both protected by local laws.

3 Likes

Yana, that is so sad that you are lonely. It certainly sounds like you would benefit from long term guests. I don’t know where you stand with the idea of corporate housing rentals but if I ever get out of the short-term business, I would go the corporate route.

I was between tenants on one of my long-term rentals when I was contacted by a placement company about renting to their contract employee for a few months. Everything sounded workable and I agreed. It was for a ‘traveling’ nurse. Her contract was extended and I had her for six months. Following her I had two airline employees for a year and two more contract nurses.

The money is top dollar, always paid on time, they take care of the place and have solid jobs. I would definitely do corporate rentals again…and will once the current tenants depart…but they are going on 5 yrs now.

1 Like

Sometimes lonely Sandy, sometimes, when i am all by myself here, its not terrible:). Never lived alone so when i am alone in my house i would rather have guests stay here if my husband is not here also.
I was given few websites for corporate housing here but they all redirect me to management companies. How would you go about it, any useful info?
Wow, 5 years!!! thats so awesome. Yes, i agree, they paid 4500$/ month in off season without negotiating, that made me think may be i gave them low price?
Now these guys love the house. They love the pool and dont want to ever leave. Their job is extended till October and they are asking if i am willing to rent to them till that time. They should see me jump up and down when i heard this:slight_smile.

I had a little confusion with payment. I though they were wiring me money but they direct deposited and i gave them wrong routing number. So, tomorrow we need to clarify it but i see the evidence of them sending, and i dont worry about it.

1 Like

Yana, I think these corporate homestays can be the best of both worlds. When we had a B&B in the UK years ago we had several periods when we had people who were working away from home on short term contracts of a few months. Their companies paid a flat weekly rate but they went home for the weekend usually. We became quite friendly with some of them and were sad when they left and because my husband was also working away from home during the week they were company and security for me.

This wouldn’t work in our current place as no-one comes here to work! However, many retired Brits come here in the winter and we’ve thought of renting out our apartment to them by the month. Trouble is, we do like having or home back to ourselves in the Winter …

1 Like

Really happy to hear you have had some nice bookings!!!

2 Likes

Yana, I started the same at the beginning of 2016 - minimum 2 days, and I hiked up the price slighty, Now I don’t have quantity, but I most definitely have quality. I am loving it! Every guest this year has been fantastic, the money has been good and I’m not stuck cleaning the room every single day for an hour and running my washing machine twice a day. I have to mention that I am no longer dependent on the Air money, but it sure is nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its so slow here that nothing helps. 2 days did not work for me to get any bookings. One room is rented for a month. ANohter in JUne was only rented for 2 days.This is how bad it is here. I rented to a guy for a month another room since today and i think thats the way to go for me until October when we start seeing some movement here.

I am glad you don’t depend on Airbnb income. I do depend on it, and when 8 months long summer is here is tough to keep up.

Are you listed on multiple sites?

Yes, but it obviously does not matter. I am listed on Flippkey, Wimdu, and i just unlisted with booking.com because it was pretty awfull with them. From Flippkey i get big negotiators who never book. From Wimdu i get pictures of sexy girls but no real customers.
We are a seasonal state, tourists come here when its cold everywhere else. Now its humid and very hot, even we locals dont want to be here. Its only if someone came here for work, and these guests always are looking for weekly or monthly rent

2 Likes

Me too. Totally dead. When I did get inquiries I had to decline due to remodeling that I had blocked. Then the contractor moves it on me. But pretty much summer is totally dead… Not just for me but even the hotels in town. DEAD.

1 Like

I thought people travel in the summer. So that isn’t peak visiting time in Hawaii? If not, when is the peak time?

1 Like