Can you share your house rules?

I agree. I’ve seen many reviews where the guest says that they were asked to clean, but didn’t know the location of the cleaning supplies.

This is the same Italian couple who thought there was a kitchen in the apartment!!! It’s not even an apartment. At least they weren’t confused and demanding and then stingy with stars. They left all 5 stars and a nice review.

This would seem intuitive… Or better left for the checkin greeting.
Save main house rules for just that – the rules.

@anon67190644, I always point out the supplies when I give the tour, so I plan to just take it out. I definitely don’t want people to think I expect them to clean the place as a requirement of staying. I just want them to be able to clean up after themselves (and so I don’t have to lug stuff up and down every turnover).

1 Like

This is how I read it since it was part of your rules.

I keep the first aid kit in the cupboard under the kitchen sink where all the cleaning materials are. And during the house tour I open the cupboard to ‘show them the first aid kit’ and accidentally-on-purpose, they see where the cleaning stuff is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sure,
below you can see mine:

• Smoking only allowed on the balcony.
  • No parties without permission.
  • No noise between 22:00 and 07:00 (rule of the building).
  • Saturday is your laundry day, all other days only if nobody is using it.
1 Like

For some unknown, I get a good few airbnb newbies. For all my guests up to last week, it was not an issue until I got 2 guests, who were a pain in the backside. Bear in mind I let out private rooms in my home, they rang me everyday when out to ask for directions. I know my city but seriously !!! They sat in our private sitting rooms and watch TV, guests have their own sitting rooms, so don’t need to sit with us. In their review , in a private part, they suggested we have information about our city and maps ( all in their room and never noticed a big red folder ), suggested it would be nice if we had eaten with them for dinner everyday. I feel that they don’t really get what airbnb is. I got a query from another newbie and I don’t want to feel I need to be available 24 hours a day. I replied but added this

“We ask guests to remember the ethos of Airbnb, it’s about you booking a room in a typical Irish home and experiencing life as we do. The founders of Airbnb, rented an air mattress on the floor to guests, we offer more than that in our home but we ask guests to be mindful of a sharing environment of ordinary homes”

Hope its not too rude but guests who take over your house and you, are just very tiring. What do others think ?

5 Likes

Airbnb - just STOP with asking guests what can be improved! That question should be followed with “would you be willing to pay more per night if your feedback was implemented?” I bet you would have been willing to eat dinner with them for an daily fee…lol.

7 Likes

I don’t home share, but others here who do have written excellent statements in the rules about boundaries around this… Such as we are working people and want you to enjoy the home but we will not always be available to socialize… Etc…

That’s not the wording but you get my drift…

1 Like

Not rude at all - the expectations are sometimes just unreasonable.

Here’s our rules for our private room listing in our house. Pretty minimal but we’ve never had any problems! Are we lucky or is there some other explanation? Who knows!

This is a friendly, warm and welcoming house but we probably wouldn’t describe it as a party-till-ya-drop kind of place.
Sadly no pets allowed.
No smoking in the house or conservatory.

1 Like

I think that your rules are just fine. A whole list of rules seriously puts me off staying in a place. They imply that I’m not a decent, human grown up but a three year old. I don’t like being treated like a child.

3 Likes

Mine are:

“Check-in is after 1PM. General conservation as to water, power and Internet is always highly appreciated; otherwise, relax and have fun!!”

Of course, the fact they have to get in a boat to get to the place, simplifies a lot of otherwise necessary rules.

3 Likes

I have other things, like steps for checkout, that I don’t list under Rules. I think this sets the right tone for my place.

• Please be kind and respectful to the house we love.
  • Maximum occupancy of 4.
  • Absolutely no smoking on the property - inside & out.
  • No overnight guests not included in the rental agreement.
  • No parties.
  • No burning of candles.
  • Vacation “curators” and third-party rentals are strictly forbidden.
2 Likes

I think I’m going to add the candles thing in with the No smoking, tho my rules are getting a bit long…

Very clean list. Oh btw, I provide those cheap battery-operated candles, they look so cool inside tainted-glass candle holders.

I simply say “no smoking, candles, or fire of any kind on my property”

1 Like

Is that like the kind you’d find at ye old brothel? :smile:

4 Likes

The men just love all these touches when they arrive at the island: they immediately grasp the opportunities of the privacy, the candles, mirrors. :sunglasses:

(sorry no handcuffs, swings, etc. Not there yet)

2 Likes