Best way to handle requests from people who don't read

I plan to mark her down for communication and obeying house rules.

1 Like

I have almost all 5 star reviews and am a Super Host. The only 2-3 times Iā€™ve gotten anything less than stellar reviews was when people complained about things that were CLEARLY stated in my listing that they obviously did not read before the made their booking. So if I get an inquiry with questions that show me they did not even take a few minutes to read the listing I decline them. Stupid questions asking me if thereā€™s parking, or how far from the main subway line we are, or what time is check inā€¦all of which is in my listing, often more than twice. To me itā€™s just setting up people for disappointment even though in the end I can point to the listing and show how Iā€™m right Iā€™d rather not deal with that.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Airbnb no longer has any reasons for declining that for real life situations the only thing Iā€™ve been able to choose is ā€˜not availableā€™ and then Airbnb marks those dates unavailable for real. I will say that guests using the App on their phone often do not see everything due to the very bad design of the app. Iā€™ve had a few guests show me how they use the app and show me what they see. Iā€™m thinking of asking potential guests to look at my listing and info on a desktop using the website before booking.

Sure we have discount, it starts already from 7 days booking. Hope its possible for you to add the lacking days :slight_smile:

1 Like

I politely and immediately reject guests that have apparently not read the listing either. Reject in comfort and donā€™t give it a second thought.

4 Likes

Love it!!! ā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you @Helsi, thatā€™s very kind of you and I appreciate it v much! To be fair, I wasnā€™t exactly polite to @LegendsCreek so itā€™s understandable he reacted badly. I offer apologies to you, Legend, and whatever tasty treat your goats like best.

3 Likes

Thanks Magwitch. I also apologies for losing my temper. It was one of ā€œthoseā€ days! I am looking forward to 2 reservations this coming weekend, and lots of hopeful beautiful weather.

2 Likes

Thank you, thatā€™s great :slight_smile: Go on and send some of that sunshine over here, please! Tired of the rain here even though it saves me watering the garden.

Awe, I love it when our members are so nice to each other!!! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I had a couple from Hong Kong ask if they could have a discount because ā€œwe are on a budgetā€. Given sky high rental prices in HK I was surprised they werenā€™t checking to see if there was a mistake and I had accidentally left a 0 off the price. As usual I declined saying it was already a very good price. As someone pointed out such people are going to give you less than 5 for value whatever you do.

2 Likes

I do this too but I do have to mention that many times when I get a request asking for discounts and I decline, the guests often book at the full price.

People just like to try it on because so many websites and blogs suggest to travellers that they should always ask for discounts.

Iā€™ve found that these guests - the ones who asked for a discount, have been refused it and then booked at the full price - are just as respectful and clean as other guests.

1 Like

Iā€™m on IB so they can still book. In my experience they donā€™t even bother thanking me for the reply. probably asking a dozen other hosts at the same time and someone will give in. Good on 'em.

1 Like

Yes, I use IB too but obviously people who are looking for a discount ae going to contact you first rather than booking. Iā€™d really not worry about people not thanking you for the reply - why would they? This is a commercial transaction, not a social occasion, after all.:slight_smile:

Yes, most guests will contact several hosts and paste in their duplicate inquiries.

xGo with you gut instinct. If they are a PITA at the request stage, imagine what sort of guests they will be. If they say they are on a budget and want a discount, they are expecting you to fund their lifestyle.

3 Likes

Your place looks amazing! Donā€™t settle. Your home is the destination. Stick with your gut. Especially with your home. If people arenā€™t reading your full description and asking for a discount, theyā€™re just looking for a cheap place to stay. Your home looks worth every penny and a much better value than any hotel.

As out hosts ourselves, weā€™re sometimes a little wary of new-to-Airbnb-guests, but thankfully everyone has been great. Weā€™ve even had a few repeat guests. If my partner and can find time weā€™d love to stay at your place for a weekend. If we find another couple to travel with, thatā€™s the way to make Airbnb an affordable destination for travel.

Best to you and your goats!

1 Like

Thank you so much Josiah! What a nice compliment.

You are always welcome to come stay at our farm!

1 Like

BTW, my partner reminded me that you and your other half were featured in Options magazine about your goat farm. I knew your listing looked familiar. Your space definitely meets Airbnbā€™s standards of accommodations!

We were indeed featured in Options with our last farm. In 2014 we relocated across town to a much larger farm and renovated the guest house as a means to grow our business.

2 Likes

Not discount related but just got an inquiry ā€“ my husband and I are looking for a convenient place near (major city) with restaurants close by and with access to public transportation what do you advise?
I was about to reply, as their dates would fill a hole in my calendar, but then thought no ā€“ all of these specifics are evident from the most cursory review of my listing! Instead I responded ā€œThis is all addressed in my listing, so please just check it out.ā€ And I DIDNā€™T preapprove them. They can IB if they wanna. Was I right to be strong, or did I just shoot myself in the foot financially by not sending a fulsome and effusive ā€œmarketingā€ reply?