Best way to handle requests from people who don't read

Today I received the second inquiry in 2 weeks where the guests asked for a discount. It says at the top of our listing to read the entire listing before inquiring, and then further in the listing it says all requests asking for a discount will be denied.

This morning one came through and they said they really wanted to stay, but were on budgets and asked for a discount. I rejected and politely told them why, and that our listing says right at the top to read the whole thing before inquiring, and that all requests asking for a discount will be denied. They responded saying they will pay the full price (but didn’t explain why they ignored what was written in the listing), but I didn’t respond because its a familiar trend with guests who don’t read listings, and we end up regretting it and they take advantage of us.

So about an hour ago, they put through an actual booking request. I hate being rude and I hate having to deny people, but I already explained to them why the inquiry was rejected and they still keep pressing. I don’t care about losing the money, we only want to host guests who are respectful, read the listing, and follow the rules. Its not too much to ask.

I know i’m not the only one here who rejects requests from people who don’t read, or ask for discounts. I am just not sure if its best to just reject without saying anything, or how to reject and respond? I was tempted to accept it but every single time I go against my gut feeling, it ends up being a massive regret.

What would you do?

8 Likes

Remember that there are a million or more travel sites out there that recommend that travellers should always ask for a discount. I’ve had plenty of guests who have initially asked for a discount, I’ve not given it and they have stayed at the full price. They have invariably been good guests.

But really, if you’re going to decline people, there’s no need to worry about being polite. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Guests who ask for discounts are already disrespecting you. This one did not even read your listing, and now is back pedaling…??

Stick with your gut. This guest sounds like trouble. Decline!!!

8 Likes

I did actually see an article a few months ago that taught guests how to negotiate and it was infuriating when I read it.

For me I just find it insulting when they ask even though the listing specifically says not to. I deny requests all the time, but I’ve never had to deny twice until today so I’m kind of stumped.

1 Like

Do you mean they already requested and you declined and then they sent another request that you had to decline?

They are pushy, Legends, and pushy guests are bad.

2 Likes

Kona, the first was just an inquiry which I declined, the second was where they put in a credit card and an actual request. Do you think it’s best to decline without an explanation?

Just decline… you don’t owe them a damn thing.

I like your statement that you are only interested in hosting respectful, quiet, conscientious guests… I have a similar line right in my listing.

There will be plenty of other people in the place of this guest. Decline, you will feel better!

7 Likes

You always have reassuring, good advice. It’s invaluable to be able to come on here and get advice and different opinions. I am going to decline. Thanks Kona!

6 Likes

Awe you are so sweet Legends. You are getting to be quite the experienced host yourself… and smart too!! Good luck! :heart_eyes::innocent::sweat_smile::clap:

1 Like

Personally, I would accept the request. They asked, you denied, they accepted your denial and proceeded to request to book. What is to be gained from taking such a high moral ground over their initial enquiry?? I guess you have a very special place where you can afford to be so picky and lordly. Personally, I find it v distasteful.

6 Likes

I do have a place where I bust my a$$ maintaining, and spent 10k a month in mortgage, costs, taxes, etc., to keep, own and cherish. Guests don’t have the right to stay here, I choose who I allow. Its as simple as that.

14 Likes

Well I don’t think it’s,about high moral ground. It’s more about gut instinct. This type of guest is usually trouble, and has done nothing to persuade Legends otherwise.

Guests who press for discounts will ding you on value because no matter how much you give off they will still think it was not enough.

Legends is not on a high horse, he is simply passing on booking trouble.

8 Likes

I disagree. It’s equally possible (perhaps more so) that said guests will be above average because he has already stamped his ground and they acquiesced. So it’s likely they will be on their best behaviour and eternally grateful that they have been allowed to stay in his superlative super-super exclusive luxury place. They might even kiss the floor in place of his ass.

Why don’t you go troll another thread!? People like you are like the very guests I am complaining about. Entitled.

You may be comfortable letting people into your home that ignore basic, simple requests. But I am not. We have been screwed over too many times already in 1 year, which is exactly what led up to our rules and requests being so strict.

9 Likes

I’m not entitled at all. I just don’t like snooty entitled hosts that decline for no good reason. It’s bad for the platform and therefore bad for us all.

I think my reasons are pretty darn good. What I find bad for the platform is guests thinking we are hotels. People forget that they are coming into someone else’s home and not a hotel and if we don’t set rules then we get walked on and while 95% of our guests have been amazing, the 5% are the reason why we are so strict. So before you throw insults, I suggest you go to our listing which is in our profile and see the nice things people have had to say. You are being insulting for no reason.

10 Likes

@SandyToes : (Thinking aloud to herself…)

(Whew! Thank goodness I cancelled my post before it went through…it wouldn’t fare well to put my toe in this ring!)

7 Likes

Well then something is wrong somewhere isn’t it? It might not be who you accept, it’s maybe something in your listing? We all know that people don’t read stuff so no matter what you write in your description or your rules, if you are continuing to attract unwanted guests, it’s time to scrutinise how and why your listing appeals and to whom.

I disagree. We were booked solid for 5 months last year and most of it was great, but thank you for your rude opinions.

5 Likes

My apologies if you felt insulted. I will indeed look at your listing.